Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/25/2016, 07:24 AM   #26
G_Sanab922
Registered Member

Very nice pics and video.

G_Sanab922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2016, 07:27 AM   #27
G_Sanab922
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAl View Post
Gotcha. Blues and makos are deep water sharks. I think your biggest concern would be the big 3. If you are not an experienced diver (and even if you are) it's best to dive on days with good visibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1
Oceanic white tips are also deep water I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf@gmail.com View Post
Local Florida dive club spearfishes in Gulf of Mexico at least once weekly and frequently see Bull Sharks. They claim they don't worry much about them unless a diver gets bumped while fish are on the stringer. In that case the shark frequently bites the stringer (bloody fish) which the diver gladly releases and then makes for the boat before the shark can finish his/her appetizer. Sounds a bit edgy to me (haven't dived personally in years and never spearfished) but this story comes from a dive shop owner who was trying to recruit a new club member; so it may be credible.
Thing about this is that when I go spearfishing I don't use a stringer. If I'm too far from the boat I just put the fish in my pants and go

Yea the gulf has a bit more sharks, not surprised if they see bulls.
Not sure how those guys spear but when I see a shark I pretty much move spots because all the fish in the area just go in to hiding most of the time. Even while regular fishing, if we notice the shark breaking the lines then we move.

G_Sanab922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2016, 08:14 PM   #28
MikeyAl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Sanab922 View Post
+1

Oceanic white tips are also deep water I believe.

Thing about this is that when I go spearfishing I don't use a stringer. If I'm too far from the boat I just put the fish in my pants and go

Yea the gulf has a bit more sharks, not surprised if they see bulls.

Not sure how those guys spear but when I see a shark I pretty much move spots because all the fish in the area just go in to hiding most of the time. Even while regular fishing, if we notice the shark breaking the lines then we move.

Yup. There are two types of white tip sharks. The oceanic reef shark which, is in fact a deep water shark and very dangerous. There is also a white tip reef shark which is according to its name a feed shark and not dangerous. Usually grows to about 5 feet.

MikeyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2016, 07:08 AM   #29
MikeyAl
Registered Member

Quote:
Yup. There are two types of white tip sharks. The oceanic reef shark which, is in fact a deep water shark and very dangerous. There is also a white tip reef shark which is according to its name a feed shark and not dangerous. Usually grows to about 5 feet.

Edit: a reef shark not a "feed" shark.

Unread 04/26/2016, 08:28 AM   #30
pyithar
Registered Member

hogfanreefer: awesome pics and video

MikeyAl: i thought all white tips were oceanic and young ones stay around reefs. thanks for clearing it up!

Current Tank Info: 150G display, 50G sump, mixed reef
pyithar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2016, 09:17 AM   #31
MikeyAl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyithar View Post
hogfanreefer: awesome pics and video

MikeyAl: i thought all white tips were oceanic and young ones stay around reefs. thanks for clearing it up!

Same family, different species.
The oceanic whitetip is a shark not to be messed with. They are deep water sharks that are know for attacking people (shipwreck and plan crash survivors). and can grow up to about 14 feet.
The whitetip reef shark is relatively docile and lives on the reefs and can grow up to 5 or 6 feet.

Unread 04/30/2016, 03:37 PM   #32
PatW
Registered Member

I have seen nurse sharks. Even very large nurse sharks are pretty timid. I have also see reef sharks. It is hard to get very close to a reef shark. They will take off. I have seen one bull shark.

Think about it though. I am 6' tall. With fins, I am 8' or 9'. Then I have the BC which makes me look bigger. I also have a metal tank and I am blowing bubbles. I am not something that looks like normal prey. Plus, I am way too big for most sharks to fool with.

I would think that only a large shark of one of the very aggressive species would have the potential for going for a diver. I have never seen a verified account of a diver being attacked by a shark...... That does not count spear fisherman with yummy bleeding fish.

I suppose it could happen but it is not on the list of the top ten ways you can die whilst diving.

PatW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2016, 08:47 PM   #33
jk1nole
Registered Member

I've been diving for about 5 years and I have seen nurse sharks, bull sharks, tiger sharks, reef sharks, hemmer heads, and lemon sharks (great whites next year in South Africa). 2 of the dives I have been on have been "Shark Dives".

I have never felt threatened or in danger. Sharks are largely a misunderstood creature.. this misunderstanding is heightened by Discovery Channel's "Shark Week".

I am not advocating to go out looking for sharks to swim with, but they are not the nasty animals they are made out to be. With that being said... don't trust a bull shark, oceanic white tip, or great white.

Attached are a few pics of lemon sharks. They come in large numbers off of West Palm Beach, FL during the winter months here.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lemon Shark.jpg (27.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Lemon Shark 2.jpg (29.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Lemon Shark 3.jpg (34.4 KB, 23 views)
jk1nole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2016, 05:59 AM   #34
pyithar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk1nole View Post
I've been diving for about 5 years and I have seen nurse sharks, bull sharks, tiger sharks, reef sharks, hemmer heads, and lemon sharks (great whites next year in South Africa). 2 of the dives I have been on have been "Shark Dives".

I have never felt threatened or in danger. Sharks are largely a misunderstood creature.. this misunderstanding is heightened by Discovery Channel's "Shark Week".

I am not advocating to go out looking for sharks to swim with, but they are not the nasty animals they are made out to be. With that being said... don't trust a bull shark, oceanic white tip, or great white.

Attached are a few pics of lemon sharks. They come in large numbers off of West Palm Beach, FL during the winter months here.
Thank you for sharing your experiences. very nice shark pics!

Current Tank Info: 150G display, 50G sump, mixed reef
pyithar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2016, 03:01 PM   #35
rsidwell
Registered Member

Sharks for the most part don't even care about you, especially diving instead of snorkeling. Just don't be bleeding or flailing Also, good visibility water.

rsidwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2016, 03:05 PM   #36
rsidwell
Registered Member

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...9&l=63e2985a74 Sharks for the most part don't even care about you, especially diving instead of snorkeling. Just don't be bleeding or flailing Also, good visibility water.

rsidwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2016, 10:44 PM   #37
teemee
Registered Member

I've probably seen 1000+++ sharks on over 300 dives, almost all of which in the Indopacific, including many places you listed as wanting to go to.
I've been circled a number of times by large black tip reef sharks, but they were only being curious.

The only trouble I've ever heard anyone having was from someone who reached into an opening on a wreck, and startled a wobbegong shark, and told me he was bitten, though whether or not it was a true story, I don't know.

More than sharks, be prepared for some challenging diving. At Sipadan (Barracuda site), with a v. inexperienced guide (not even a dm), I got completely swept off the reef, and while flying the water for almost a km, I counted almost a hundred white tip reef sharks, a blessing considering not long before they'd been finning them on Mabul...
Many places I've gone to expressly to see sharks, I haven't seen any at all...
So, I hope you do, keep your wits about you, dive responsibly and with a buddy, and have fun!

teemee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2016, 12:40 PM   #38
SouthFla
Registered Member

To the OP, maybe go for a ride?!?

Seriously tho, enjoy the experience, they're beautiful animals

Current Tank Info: 125G reef, Alk ~8.1, Ca 410, Mg 1350, 1.025SG
SouthFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2016, 06:42 AM   #39
C.Eymann
Cnidaria lover

Sorry to revive an old thread, I thought I'd share a little tip/trick- (towards the end) I agree with what everyone said, remain calm, keep extremities close to the body, if it's a worrisome species, don't turn your back on it. Tigers and oceanic white tips would make me the most nervous on dive in clear water, but I haven't been in the water with either, I have dove with black tips, Bulls, nurse and lemons. When spearing fish under piers with Hawaiian slings-Bulls are a concern, but in clear reef waters they are fine. Here is the tip- If you want to see sharks on a dive this is a nifty, non chum way to attract them, take a plastic water bottle that is ribbed, fill it 1/2 full with water and roll it between your palms, doing so puts out sound waves very similar to that of a fish in distress, you will know you are making the right sound when you notice yellow tail snapper and groupers taking an increased interest in you, have attracted sharks this way successfully numerous times, once the sharks come in to view, probably wise to stop making the noise.
Staying calm is key, but in clear water they are not too big of danger, beautiful, majestic animals

Current Tank Info: 80gal build in the works
C.Eymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2016, 07:09 AM   #40
Paul B
Premium Member

Sharks are not a problem but if it bother's you carry a big knife. If you see a shark that scares you, take the knife, and cut your throat.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2016, 07:38 AM   #41
SouthFla
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Sharks are not a problem but if it bother's you carry a big knife. If you see a shark that scares you, take the knife, and cut your BUDDY'S throat.
I edited that for ya

Current Tank Info: 125G reef, Alk ~8.1, Ca 410, Mg 1350, 1.025SG
SouthFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2016, 01:10 PM   #42
C.Eymann
Cnidaria lover

Quote:

Yes they are in general a open ocean deep water species and wouldn't be encountered on typical patch reef dives, however they can be spotted on outer wall and atoll dives. Several dive guides I have talked to in Belize have said they see them occasionally.
That's always been the shark that worries me when doing safety stops, can just imagine one cruising into view, flanked by pilot fish and all.

If visibility isnt so great pretty much any species can be prone to attack, even a 4 foot little lemon can be deadly if it gets you in the right place causing you to bleed out, esp when far from shore.

Unread 08/11/2016, 05:07 PM   #43
Paul B
Premium Member

Sharks don't bother me in the tropics. I don't like to see them here in New York because our visibility is measured in inches so when you see one, he is already eating you especially if you dive at night. But tropical sharks are basically wimpy and eat mostly blackworms.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2016, 06:42 PM   #44
C.Eymann
Cnidaria lover

Unread 08/19/2016, 02:53 PM   #45
EntropysHelper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
OK, here is the story. In Nov of 2013 Elaine and I decided to go snorkeling at Bahia Honda State Park. It's Nov so the water is pretty cool and a weekday so virtually nobody on the beach. We both had on our heavy wetsuits and about an hour in, after swimming against the current (in coming tide washing along the beach and around the end of the island) Elaine tells me she is getting chilly and tired so we are going to just drift back to our spot on the beach.

We are in water that is about 3 feet deep and 150 feet off the beach. While drifting along we have become separated by 50 feet or so and I hear my name being called. Not a scream, or a call for help, just trying to get my attention. I stand up and Elaine, in waist deep water points between her and the beach and says, "Ron, there's a shark over there." Again, no panic, no real urgency, just information being delivered. I start to swim to her and think to myself, by the time I get there it will probably be gone and I won't get to see anything.

So I get to Elaine and she points out about 20 to 30 feet away, between us and the beach, there is a sandy hole that is bright compared to the dark rocks. And in that sandy circle of sand is a dark, backwards letter 'C'. She says it's a 4' nurse shark sleeping in the sand. Her camera battery is dead and she asks me to stay and watch the shark while she gets to shore and gets new batteries. I say OK.

Elaine leaves and I move in closer to get a better look at the shark. From the original spot where we were standing, I couldn't even see it while underwater. I got close enough to get a good look and then moved back away so as not to disturb it. As Elaine was on her way back out to me, the shark woke up and swam off away from Elaine into the current.

When Elaine got out to me I asked her how in the world she could see the shark from so far away (she is great at seeing things underwater that I can totally miss). She tells me, "Oh, I didn't see it from here. I was drifting along looking straight down at the bottom looking for anything interesting. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw something dark and as I looked over, there was this nurse shark and in less than 3 feet of water I drifted right over it. I could have reached out and pet it." No fear or anxiety in her voice at all.

I told her I was proud of her and she asked why? I told her 95% of swimmers at this beach would have totally freaked out if they saw the shark. And 99% of all women (not meaning to be sexist) in this country would have gotten up out of the water and walked... no, run on top of it to the beach and would never get back in. But you get so close you could have touched it and you calmly swim out to deeper water and call me over to see it too. Her response was, "Ron, it was just a 4' nurse shark."

That's it.

Back in 2000 when I moved to Florida, seeing a shark in the water would have seriously unnerved me. But every year I get more and more accustom to sharing the water with them. Two years ago a little 3' nurse shark got caught between me and a rocky wall. I was 2' out from the wall and the shark came up from behind and swam past me, between me and the wall. For half a second I was spooked because it caught me totally off guard. But then I realized how small it was and I was fine.

This winter I caught a small sharpnose shark with my bare hands in the surf washing up on the beach of Sanibel Island in SW Florida. We took a couple of pics and then I carried it out into deeper water and released it. It just swam away like it was no big deal. However, if somebody had told me that morning I would catch and rescue a 18" to 2' shark in the water with my bare hands... I'd have told them they were crazy. A) I probably wouldn't even try. B) What are the chances of a small shark being washed up toward the beach by big waves and having trouble swimming back out... 1,000,000 to 1? I'm just glad my wife took a photo!
Cool story, ron. I think you mentioned in another thread you were retired...how long have you and your wife been snorkeling?

EntropysHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2016, 02:27 PM   #46
Learn It
Registered Member

Good advice here. Nice pics hog.