Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/18/2018, 09:37 AM   #26
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szar View Post
Go with the biggest option you can physically squeeze in, i'm kicking me self in the butt for not going for the 450 and settling for the 250.

Visually unless the wall is really short and the tank will takes the majority of it, it will look small. I'm really not liking the the 250s dimensions.

350 seems much nicer aesthetically to me. May sound silly, but take two large towels and fold em to more or less their animations and see what fits the wall better or lol (iv done it) cut out dimension in a piece of paper and use your cell flashlight to project the size of the tank onto the wall.
I hear ya. I do like the looks of 3’ long tanks. Plus lighting will cost significantly more on a 4’ long vs a 3’ long tank.
For instance:
I was planning on putting either a Nanobox Quad or two hydra 26 HD over the 250. The quad or the hydra 26’s is not enough for the 350. I could do a 36” ATI hybrid fixture over the 350 but that will cost significantly more. Plus I like the looks of hanging the lights off the back of the tank not from the ceiling or wall.
I have a little while and I really need to think about this

Indiana Reefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2018, 11:44 AM   #27
Justintegra
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Reefin View Post
I would like to consider the IM but I think the Red Sea and Waterbox are a notch above for quality
I'm in a similar spot. I really like the dimensions of the IM 100. It's like a deep blue 80, but just the perfect height. If I wasn't concerned with it exploding I'd likely get it.

Justintegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2018, 12:22 PM   #28
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintegra View Post
I'm in a similar spot. I really like the dimensions of the IM 100. It's like a deep blue 80, but just the perfect height. If I wasn't concerned with it exploding I'd likely get it.
Absolutely agree with you on this. This is why I’m not even considering the IM anymore

Unread 10/18/2018, 06:01 PM   #29
Cdogsailr
Registered Member

For what it's worth I've run an IM Nano and a Pico for many years and have had no issues (despite the odd horror story). I would definitely buy IM again.

Cdogsailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2018, 07:18 PM   #30
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdogsailr View Post
For what it's worth I've run an IM Nano and a Pico for many years and have had no issues (despite the odd horror story). I would definitely buy IM again.
Thanks for the feedback. A lot of people have their tanks and they look nice. But I am putting his tank upstairs and I can’t afford to have a tank leak or blow out

Unread 10/18/2018, 08:29 PM   #31
moondoggy4
Registered Member

I have the APS stand, it is well built, make sure you get a real good idea of amount of room you have to put a sump in it. You can remove the side panel and install see through smoked acrylic panels in there instead. I would also get the extra shelf if they make it for your tank.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2018, 08:31 PM   #32
4x4cubereefer
Registered Member

currently have a reefer 425 xl .. its a love hate thing.
the tank is dead silent when setup right.
sump is a little small meaning external equipment in some cases is easier .. but its still very workable .. i think the quality isnt to bad.
the cabinet is easily marked and looks taddy after a day or two.
filter sock compartments are odd sized so you have to buy red sea stuff .. 3.5 inch over 4 inch .. i wanted a klir filter but im stuck with media cups & socks for now till i modify it.
glass isnt as clear as some tanks ive seen in all honesty.
overall its quite good though,
BUT !!!! IF i had to do it again the best quality tank ive seen in person are the cade pro reefs closely followed by waterbox .. the cade pro reefs are immaculate.

1, cade
2, waterbox
3, red sea

ive seen them all in person many times both new at shop and setup/running .. and the cade has so much workability compared to waterbox/red sea.
they really are in a league of there own when you actually see one in person.

my next will be the Cade PR1800 6 footer when my blue tang outgrows the 425 xl.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

4x4cubereefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2018, 08:34 PM   #33
4x4cubereefer
Registered Member

Tunze care magnet mate .. i feel your pain .. flipped my flipper off and tossed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.st View Post
I also scratched the S out of the glass with a flipper. So, maybe I am still bothered by that. haha.

Unread 10/18/2018, 09:11 PM   #34
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4cubereefer View Post
currently have a reefer 425 xl .. its a love hate thing.
the tank is dead silent when setup right.
sump is a little small meaning external equipment in some cases is easier .. but its still very workable .. i think the quality isnt to bad.
the cabinet is easily marked and looks taddy after a day or two.
filter sock compartments are odd sized so you have to buy red sea stuff .. 3.5 inch over 4 inch .. i wanted a klir filter but im stuck with media cups & socks for now till i modify it.
glass isnt as clear as some tanks ive seen in all honesty.
overall its quite good though,
BUT !!!! IF i had to do it again the best quality tank ive seen in person are the cade pro reefs closely followed by waterbox .. the cade pro reefs are immaculate.

1, cade
2, waterbox
3, red sea

ive seen them all in person many times both new at shop and setup/running .. and the cade has so much workability compared to waterbox/red sea.
they really are in a league of there own when you actually see one in person.

my next will be the Cade PR1800 6 footer when my blue tang outgrows the 425 xl.

Wow thanks for the feedback!!
Those Cade aquariums look amazing! Do they sell in the states?

Unread 10/18/2018, 09:12 PM   #35
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
I have the APS stand, it is well built, make sure you get a real good idea of amount of room you have to put a sump in it. You can remove the side panel and install see through smoked acrylic panels in there instead. I would also get the extra shelf if they make it for your tank.
Yeah the APS stands look awesome! I will have to see more positive reviews on the 75 INT before I consider IM

Unread 10/18/2018, 09:36 PM   #36
4x4cubereefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow thanks for the feedback!!
Those Cade aquariums look amazing! Do they sell in the states?
they were overseas in the past few weeks as there website was partially closed for business trip .. dont quote me on it but it was around the time of macna .. im not too sure though as i havent looked into it too much being australian myself but in saying that you could see them over there in 6 months to a year if there not already there as far as i know .. but hands down from top to bottom they are amazing and i cant wait to get my hands on one once my regal outgrows the reefer .. they really are a shelf above qualitywise .. the only thing i can knock about them is the glass doors if they get salt creep on the black painted back it will knock the paint off over time but nothing some clear vinyl/contact trimmed & laid over the top cant fix vefore setting it up.

waterbox the quality is also there and the glass is much more clearer then the reefers .. but the reason they are no.2 for me is there sump while there are positives like the line to input your calcium reactor/media reactors, a good sized refugium .. standard sized plumbing for any mods where as red sea is odd sized plumbing not much real space for a fuge - i run a chaeto reactor/gfo .. while not too bad at all i feel there is room for improvement the ATO chamber is very small in comparison to tank size "just like the reefers" either tank for ease of use id suggest an external drum/tub .. and in the waterbox if you were planning on automating waterchanges like i do that last chamber where the you have the ATO is the only part where a consistent water level is & the only proper place to automate it where the fish have no idea whats going on its quite small so daily water changes will only be of a very small volume & not worth it with my reefer its the other way around and i can automate a 25% weekly change up to 50% or more through daily changes via an auto aqua ato touch where all i have to do is fill & mix my fresh saltwater once a week straight into the tub .. no more carrying heavy buckets etc just kick back and relax let it fill with rodi .. add salt mix it and walk away.

Unread 10/19/2018, 04:44 AM   #37
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Thanks!!
I pretty sure they use the same glass on both Red Sea and Waterbox. The factories are literally right across the street in China....
I guess the biggest benefit to the 350 vs the 100.3 is the 48” length, as apposed to the 36” length. If I have the room for an extra foot, this will give me more options on fish.
Quote:
they were overseas in the past few weeks as there website was partially closed for business trip .. dont quote me on it but it was around the time of macna .. im not too sure though as i havent looked into it too much being australian myself but in saying that you could see them over there in 6 months to a year if there not already there as far as i know .. but hands down from top to bottom they are amazing and i cant wait to get my hands on one once my regal outgrows the reefer .. they really are a shelf above qualitywise .. the only thing i can knock about them is the glass doors if they get salt creep on the black painted back it will knock the paint off over time but nothing some clear vinyl/contact trimmed & laid over the top cant fix vefore setting it up.

waterbox the quality is also there and the glass is much more clearer then the reefers .. but the reason they are no.2 for me is there sump while there are positives like the line to input your calcium reactor/media reactors, a good sized refugium .. standard sized plumbing for any mods where as red sea is odd sized plumbing not much real space for a fuge - i run a chaeto reactor/gfo .. while not too bad at all i feel there is room for improvement the ATO chamber is very small in comparison to tank size "just like the reefers" either tank for ease of use id suggest an external drum/tub .. and in the waterbox if you were planning on automating waterchanges like i do that last chamber where the you have the ATO is the only part where a consistent water level is & the only proper place to automate it where the fish have no idea whats going on its quite small so daily water changes will only be of a very small volume & not worth it with my reefer its the other way around and i can automate a 25% weekly change up to 50% or more through daily changes via an auto aqua ato touch where all i have to do is fill & mix my fresh saltwater once a week straight into the tub .. no more carrying heavy buckets etc just kick back and relax let it fill with rodi .. add salt mix it and walk away.

Unread 10/19/2018, 06:22 PM   #38
moondoggy4
Registered Member

The IM failure that you are speaking of are they the ones with the curve front glass?

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2018, 08:55 PM   #39
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
The IM failure that you are speaking of are they the ones with the curve front glass?
I have seen it on curved and standard all in one aquariums

Unread 10/19/2018, 09:03 PM   #40
4x4cubereefer
Registered Member

why not go for a 425xl its a 90 gal display and imo a better choice then the 350 volume wise for fish with the same length.
Quote:
Thanks!!
I pretty sure they use the same glass on both Red Sea and Waterbox. The factories are literally right across the street in China....
I guess the biggest benefit to the 350 vs the 100.3 is the 48” length, as apposed to the 36” length. If I have the room for an extra foot, this will give me more options on fish.

Unread 10/19/2018, 10:44 PM   #41
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Quote:
why not go for a 425xl its a 90 gal display and imo a better choice then the 350 volume wise for fish with the same length.

Good point. More money.. $2100 setup

Unread 10/22/2018, 09:52 PM   #42
nyknicks2544
Registered Member

Have the 425xl...excellent tank, plenty of space and can hold a variety of fish. Can't go wrong with Red Sea.

nyknicks2544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2018, 07:18 PM   #43
Justintegra
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyknicks2544 View Post
Have the 425xl...excellent tank, plenty of space and can hold a variety of fish. Can't go wrong with Red Sea.
At the same time, the sump is terribly small. I have a Vertex 180i, while it will fit in the sump for the 425xl, it leaves extremely little space for a fudge area and reactors.

Unread 10/23/2018, 08:00 PM   #44
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Quote:
At the same time, the sump is terribly small. I have a Vertex 180i, while it will fit in the sump for the 425xl, it leaves extremely little space for a fudge area and reactors.
Do you have the V3 sump?
I am going to be using a cheato reactor so space for a fuge is not vital

Unread 10/23/2018, 08:04 PM   #45
Justintegra
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you have the V3 sump?
I am going to be using a cheato reactor so space for a fuge is not vital
I haven't purchased yet. I'm debating between the 525xl and 425xl. The was my biggest concern with the 425, even with the v3 sump I think the 180i will only leave about 3 inches at the front of the sump.

Unread 10/23/2018, 08:13 PM   #46
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Quote:
I haven't purchased yet. I'm debating between the 525xl and 425xl. The was my biggest concern with the 425, even with the v3 sump I think the 180i will only leave about 3 inches at the front of the sump.
Okay gotcha.
Man I go back and fowarth on the 250 or 350. I like the lighting options better for the 250:
2 X AI Hydra 26 HD
1 Nanobox quad
1 reefbreeders photon V2+
1 Kessil AP700

350:
3 X AI Hydra 26 HD
2 X AI hydra 52 HD
1 Reefbreeders Photon V2+

Unread 10/24/2018, 01:18 PM   #47
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Quote:
Is the 180i properly sized for the 425? Seems larger than needed

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2018, 01:22 PM   #48
Justintegra
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
Is the 180i properly sized for the 425? Seems larger than needed
It's over sized for lightly stocked, but would be manageable for a heavily stocked tank, which is what I would be going for. That problem is that I already have it, lol.

I'm almost completely made up that I will be going with the 525xl, I'm just concerned about the long term cost of salt. I'm trying to determine if I will be able to get away with a small bucket of red sea per month. I think I could swallow that.