Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/09/2016, 08:29 PM   #51
tenurepro
Registered Member

Reefer 250 build

Got another fish (n=6 now)
Can you spot Emma?

Tank coming along. And corals look happy. Still GHA, but is appears to be on the decline. Hoping the new algae blenny will help with that.

Also trying out red sea's foundation program. Based on their recommendations, I've set my alk to 12.6 dKh and 460 Ca and 1400 Mg.... I know it's on the high end but that is the recommendations for fast growth of sps frags which is my goal, so the way must be tried. Broke out the bubble magus doser and giving the tank 40 ml of Redsea's alk buffer B and 9 ml of Ca buffer A daily...
Ps... If you are using the Bubble magus dosing pump, do check its accuracy... I tested mine by aliquoting 5, 10, and 100 ml of water, and found that the accuracy varied between pumps... Pump 1 was aliquoting 120% of the dialed in volume, while 2 and 3 were very close to 100% of desired volume. The good news is that the pumps are very repeatable (i.e. Consistent) so I am easily correcting for the inaccuracies of pump 1... Check your system!

Hoping to get some new sps frags next week... Hopefully they make it before 1 month update!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by tenurepro; 07/09/2016 at 08:41 PM.
tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2016, 01:10 AM   #52
SwirlyWirley
Registered Member

how do you like your return pump? considering grabbing one and using my flowstar 1500 for return from my frag tanks!

-Blake
SwirlyWirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2016, 07:22 AM   #53
tenurepro
Registered Member

Reefer 250 build

I really like it. Very quiet and you can hardly hear it (and I am very sensitive to noise). Loudest thing in my tank now is bubble magus a5 curve skimmer, which Is not loud at all. Also automatically compensates when I open / close ball valve for reactor to maintain same water going up to tank. Because of the way the reefer's silent overflow is setup, I never run the return on a variable speed program; so it's on constant speed 24/7. Sometimes use the feed feature, which you can actually calibrate to run the pump at a trickle (so it doesn't back flow and flood the sump). Very happy so far!... But if I had to nitpick, then I would've like to see it shipped with ready to plumb adapters... Had to spend a few days at local hardware stores to figure out the connections. But highly recommend nevertheless!

Unread 07/12/2016, 09:19 PM   #54
tenurepro
Registered Member

Day 25 update - busting out the acro macro!
Tank is chugging along, and algae seems to be on the decline... Turning color a bit and the blenny seems to be doing a good job of munching it down. Encouraged, I went and got some new acro frags... A Cali blue tort (convinced a fellow reefer to sell me one before it hit the websites ), an ORA blue voodoo acro, and the infamous green slimer.

Here are some pics (tried to edit photos to match color that I see in tank, close on most)

LPS looking good

Also week+ old sps frags are coloring up nicely... Favs include deep water acro which has this lovely deep green sheen

The blue bell acro tenuis is showing great polyp extension and has a very nice turquoise color

The bonsai is also showing some good polyps

And the montipora digitata is loving life
Here are my new 12/hour sticks - 2 of which are looking good. The blue voodoo has a gorgeous blue green color and the polyps are out... Very excited for the future

The green skimmer is a very new frag but already showing good promise. My blenny is a ham!

The Cali blue tort seems emotionally stunted for the time being, but very newly fragged so should color up soon

Finally - new bubble magus curve a5 skimmer is working very nicely. Had to raise it by 1.5" (6.5" depth) and is set to 2.75... Note to reefer users... It overflows for a few days with new felt filter socks!

Another note... In my house, 5 gallon container with tunze osmolator lasts about 7 days... Stock ATO had to be filled every 2 so happy with the switch up...

Need I say... Love my reefer

Unread 07/13/2016, 09:05 AM   #55
tenurepro
Registered Member

Not sure if you guys spy on your tank late at night, but I do
Here is a little video of my emerald crab munching hair algae on the sand bed... Watch especially at 40 sec. Also my sea cuc sifting the sand. I know corals and fish get all the glory but love watching my clean up crew do their thing
https://youtu.be/FbL8IbPUEus

Unread 07/14/2016, 10:48 AM   #56
tenurepro
Registered Member

More spying on reef critters: here is a trochus snail spawning in my reefer!
I'll take that as a sign that my tank is happy
https://youtu.be/4tMlTjKHo_U

Unread 07/15/2016, 12:50 PM   #57
nightOwl
Premium Member

Critters hard at work. You gotta love that!

Unread 07/16/2016, 09:05 AM   #58
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightOwl View Post
Critters hard at work. You gotta love that!

They work hard for their money, so hard for their money

Unread 07/16/2016, 10:03 AM   #59
tenurepro
Registered Member

Tank is coming along. Algae on the decline and noticing some encrusting on the 2 wk old acro frags. Encouraging. The montipora digitata is doing great - check out the obvious growth over the past two weeks
July 3 '16

July 15 '16

Unread 07/27/2016, 01:10 PM   #60
tenurepro
Registered Member

Here is the 1 month update video! (More like 38 days but hey who is counting)
https://youtu.be/OLAWjwda9VY

Monti digit is growing really fast, and my 2-3 week acros have almost encrusted their plugs... Yay. Algae is on the decline. Reefing right along...
Check out near end of video if you want to see all of the fishes... Enticed them with some pellets!

Picking up another acro frag later this week and then it's time to stop tinkering and start watching things grow

Unread 07/28/2016, 08:11 PM   #61
tenurepro
Registered Member

So... Just went to see a man in a basement about a frag... An hour and a few $ later, I walked out with:
Ora purple cap
Christmas monti cap
Sunset monti (so excited about this one... Gorgeous)
blueberry wine acro (also gorgeous)
Red planet acro (also lovely).
That should be it for a while ...

Unread 08/01/2016, 02:13 PM   #62
tenurepro
Registered Member

Did a water change and epoxied all frags into hopefully their final place. Skimmer went nuts with all that much epoxy so took it off line for a bit.

Here is full tank shot

Coral list: left to right
Glass - xmas montipora cap... Epoxy and crazy glue got it on the glass but for how long?

Top shelf: acro tenuis, red planet, blueberry wine, bonsai, Cali blue tort, pink lemonade, blue voodoo
Middle - red acan, Ora purple cap (hope it grows out of the shadow of the Tonga) meteor shower, cold water acro, rainbow monti (stunning in person), green birdsnest, montipora digitata, green slimer, green birds nest
Bottom/sand: frutopia zoa, green torch, green hammer, pink flowerpot, open brain, purple torch, green flowerpot, 3 blue mushrooms.

I think I have space for one more acro top shelf between pink lemonade and blue voodoo... Trying to leave 3 inches for growth.

Still having some algae that I scrub every few days off rock, but it's only growing on new rocks, not old rocks from nano... Wondering if it's just the coralline preventing growth of GHA on old rocks? But maybe I need a bigger cuc?

Parameters are kinda stable: alk 11.8 dKh, CA 460 ppm, Mg 1400; dosing Redsea reef foundation A (9 ml a day) and B (60 ml a day)

Growth is good. Month old acros are almost fully encrusting plugs. Monti digitata is a total rock star!

July 3 '16

July 15 '16

August 1 2016

Green slimer looking pretty and starting to encrust plug

Fish looking good... Now that corals are in place - time to think about adding a few more reef safe fish that are not going to disturb the peace.i would love to get an azure damsel in a year or so once my acros have grown... It should hang around in the acros and not bug other fish... For now, thinking of leopard wrasse ? Any other suggestions on good reef safe and non aggressive wrasses ?

Unread 08/01/2016, 10:18 PM   #63
tenurepro
Registered Member

Well x-mas monti is not staying put on the glass... Any tips on sticking frag to glass would be greatly appreciated!

Unread 08/02/2016, 05:49 AM   #64
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
Well x-mas monti is not staying put on the glass... Any tips on sticking frag to glass would be greatly appreciated!

For encrusting Montis I use to use a epoxy coated magnets like the ones BRS use to sell for cheap. I just checked and did not see them cheap anymore. I think they use to be $6.50 for two now it looks like $10 for two...seems overprices now. Super glue (gel) one or two magnet to a shell or something light. Depending on the amount of epoxy you have make a small ledge and insert the magnet into the back that touches the glass. I normally super glue the magnet in the epoxy as well. I let the epoxy harden overnight. Attach the monti to it the next day. For some reason they seem to encrust on epoxy much faster than a frag plug or disk and before long it will grow on the glass. Let me know if you need a reference picture I will try to did up an old one.

I figure you already are aware of this this but also keep an eye on your spacing of your frags. I noticed some look pretty close to one another. Right now they are just frags but they will grow and need space.

Unread 08/02/2016, 07:40 AM   #65
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightOwl View Post
For encrusting Montis I use to use a epoxy coated magnets like the ones BRS use to sell for cheap. I just checked and did not see them cheap anymore. I think they use to be $6.50 for two now it looks like $10 for two...seems overprices now. Super glue (gel) one or two magnet to a shell or something light. Depending on the amount of epoxy you have make a small ledge and insert the magnet into the back that touches the glass. I normally super glue the magnet in the epoxy as well. I let the epoxy harden overnight. Attach the monti to it the next day. For some reason they seem to encrust on epoxy much faster than a frag plug or disk and before long it will grow on the glass. Let me know if you need a reference picture I will try to did up an old one.

I figure you already are aware of this this but also keep an eye on your spacing of your frags. I noticed some look pretty close to one another. Right now they are just frags but they will grow and need space.

Thanks!

Unread 08/02/2016, 12:02 PM   #66
burton14e7
Registered Member

Great looking tank mate! I'm in the processing of parting together my 250. I really like your ATO container. Mind telling me where you got that and how many days before you have to refill it with RODI?

Current Tank Info: Currently awaiting relapse.
burton14e7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2016, 01:50 PM   #67
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burton14e7 View Post
Great looking tank mate! I'm in the processing of parting together my 250. I really like your ATO container. Mind telling me where you got that and how many days before you have to refill it with RODI?

Thanks! The container holds about 5 gallons of water. I bought the container from my LFS... Typical jug of distilled water of premixed saltwater. It lasts a good 5 to 7 days

Unread 08/02/2016, 02:57 PM   #68
burton14e7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
Thanks! The container holds about 5 gallons of water. I bought the container from my LFS... Typical jug of distilled water of premixed saltwater. It lasts a good 5 to 7 days
Ah, that's a good length of time. I guess I couldn't tell the depth in your picture. It looked thinner than the normal 5 gallon jug that I'm used to seeing. Thanks!

Current Tank Info: Currently awaiting relapse.
burton14e7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2016, 07:28 PM   #69
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burton14e7 View Post
Ah, that's a good length of time. I guess I couldn't tell the depth in your picture. It looked thinner than the normal 5 gallon jug that I'm used to seeing. Thanks!

It is pretty thin. Actually I had three and one of them sprung a leak after about 6 month of use. There are more sturdy options from online retailers for sure

Unread 08/05/2016, 11:11 AM   #70
tenurepro
Registered Member

Saw this little guy in my LFS yesterday and couldn't resist!

Was swimming around and looked healthy and the price was great too. It was mislabeled but I am fairly sure it's a black leopard wrasse. A leopard was on my fish list so couldn't pass it up. Debated about putting him straight in the reefer or QT. my old 30 gallon is still up with some live rock, sand and a few crabs / snails; lots of pods I bet. So in it went into the old 30g. Plan is to get him to eat prepared food and observe him for a week or two before putting him in the display. Hope he takes to pellets and flakes!

Unread 08/08/2016, 10:58 PM   #71
tenurepro
Registered Member

Mini update: battling a bit of cyano. Nitrates and phosphates have been reading zero on seachem, but the tank is saying otherwise. Glass gets dirty 24h after cleaning and the few batches of cyano say high phosphates...

So I've been blowing rocks with powerhead, scrubbing, skimming wet, and preparing a large wc. Been slacking on water changes; was doing a small 5% every three weeks thinking that I may get away with it given low bioload and dosing plus gfo. Will also reduce gfo and try reducing light period a bit at the end of the day...
Corals look happy and encrusting though.

Leopard wrasse has not reappeared since hiding in the sand in my qt tank 5 days ago... Problem is - found a buyer for my nano which is now my qt, so the leopard has to be moved into display by Thursday... If he is still alive that is. Fingers crossed!

Unread 08/15/2016, 11:01 AM   #72
tenurepro
Registered Member

We are now officially on day 60! Updates include:
Cyano + water movement:
Cyano is on the decline, and I am not actively removing it so that is good. I had upped the water flow on my vectra from about 5x tank volume to 15x. Also added a new mp10 on the other side of the original mp10. I a getting great water flow now, and I run a few detritus cleaning cycles during the day (tidal swell for 2.5 h and nutrient transport mode for 2.5 h) and man you can really see the junk that was sitting on the rock clear out. I think that my previous water movement was not sufficient. The pukani has a lot of crevices and it helps to beat it up with flow to clear up the build up. I had tested phosphorus over the last few days; before mp10; 0 ppb, one day after mp10; 8 ppb; two days after mp10 : 1 ppb. My interpretation is that the cyano was consuming detritus on rock, mp10 improved circulation which prevented detritus build up and allowed skimmer and gfo to reduce phosphates. Will dial back vectra gradually and stick with weekly water changes. Hopefully that will be the end of cyano

2: did a couple of tank organization projects with my old man who is good with plastics. We (he ) designed a custom shelf for the doser and bottle containers. This cleared up some space in the sump, including the stock ato tank which I can now convert to a fuge
Also did some chord management and now I have a few semi accessible plastic container to keep fish food and accessories. I got my label maker and labeled everything

Corals: are happy and encrusting well. Noticing new growth on 100% of the corals so happy about that.

Fish: old fish are all doing well. The black leopard wrasse disappeared again into the sand. If he makes it, I will name him Keyser Söze!

Got a new fish yesterday - a Florida blue reef chromis. He is in a 10gal QT; will observe for a month before moving it to DT

Unread 08/16/2016, 10:06 PM   #73
tenurepro
Registered Member

Reefer 250 build

Pics soon

Unread 08/19/2016, 08:11 PM   #74
tenurepro
Registered Member

He is alive! Keyser Söze is alive!!!!
So after two weeks of hiding, I finally see my black leopard wrasse out and about... At 10 pm after lights out. He looks good cruising the rocks for some food. I guess the poor guys is still terribly jet lagged. Perhaps he has been out during the night while I was sleeping. Will try feeding him some mysis

Unread 08/28/2016, 09:58 AM   #75
tenurepro
Registered Member

A little update. Been away on holiday for a week and a half. Had the autofeeder on which, even at the lowest setting, dumps twice as much pellets as I normally feed. Also had skimmer on dry; didn't want it to overflow when I am away.
Alk dropped from 11.8 to 10.6; CA dropped from 460 to 400ppm; phosphates went from undetectable to 0.09 ppm (Hanna phosphorus ULR), nitrates went from undetectable to barely detectable (<0.2 ppm on salfert).

Now the interesting bits; growth on all sps frags was very obvious,great PE, and a tad bit more color in some of the corals that were browning. Also a bit more GHA, and lower cyano.

Not sure if it was the drop in alk or the excess nutrients (or both) that fueled this growth. The alk and ca drop are also consistent with uptake by growing sps. I think my system was running a bit too clean, and there may be some merit to the 'increase bio load' advice I was getting re. Cyano.

I am planing to increase my fish; have 3 chromis in wk 2 out of 4 in QT. also planing on adding 3 more wrasses in a couple of weeks, then a royal gramma. That should up the nitrates. Away next week so we'll see how high Phosphates will climb and its effect on tank. Will try to maintain high alk like I have been (around 11.5)

Re. Black leopard wrasse (haven't seen him since his one and only midnight appearance. Hoping he is still alive but u am skeptical about a fish emerging from the sand 3 wks after intro)