Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/22/2020, 04:15 PM   #1
Sk8r
RC Mod

The virtues of 2" fishes....

I keep a 100 g. And right now my fishy complement is all about that size, with fairly massive rock work, lacey rock and full of holes. The key component is a fairly dimwitted blue chromis, first to come out after anything scary, and the rest figure if a shark hasn't eaten him, it must be safe. The YWG has taken a few months to become cheekily confident. The gramma and the clowns are fairly full of curiosity, ditto the little blenny. None of them bother corals, and generally the whole lot each have their hideyholes for the night, and are out and about the rockwoirk at the crack of dawn. This is true of most fishes that max at 2": you get a slice of reef that's active, nobody is big enough to threaten anybody else, and in the real reef 'out there' the little reef dwellers don't venture very far from their hideyholes in the first place. So you have a nice slice of reef where corals can thrive and the little guys are out and about something all day long. If you want low drama and little trouble with a tank, this is not a bad setup.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2020, 08:10 AM   #2
Zpmada
Registered Member

Great suggestion thank you. I used to have a clownfish that never left his corner until I recieved a school of 5 blue/green chromis. Now the clownfish ventures out more often and that is even after upgrading to a larger tank.

Zpmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2020, 10:35 AM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

Other fish you could add: pearly jawfish, IF you have a deep-ish sandbed; or any of the skinny small shrimp gobies---but take my heartfelt advice and leave OUT the shrimp, which will grow larger, and possibly kill the shrimp goby and others: they are rotten-hard to catch, and may require a lot of rock removal. A mandarin or scooter ONLY if you have a thriving sump-fuge crawling with pods and at least a 50 gallon display. Otherwise they will starve to death. One; not a pair. For pairs, look to much larger tank with a huge lot of rock.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Unread 09/28/2020, 11:26 AM   #4
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

My gramma does nothing but hide under a rock, which was recently filled in, so she just hides flat against a new rock where everyone can see her now.

Of course I have a 8" foxface thats pretty peaceful, but noticeably larger, and a male anthias that likes to be bossy.

At feeding time, everyone is on the same team tho and suddenly no one is scared of me next to the glass.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2020, 11:56 AM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

Grammas can be among the shyest esp. given a rabbit cruising the area, ditto a bossy anthias.