Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/14/2006, 01:48 PM   #151
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

Last night I gave the brittles star a small piece of shrimp(raw) because I figured he was hungry. All sorts of strange worms started appearing. I saw a few red ones, and one or two that were bright yellow. I also found a grey one with spaced out black stripes moving accross the bottom. He was about 8 inches long!
Any worms that I should be keeping my eye out for?

Unread 03/14/2006, 02:02 PM   #152
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Wow,

Get pictures of those worms! Sounds very interesting! Most worms are usually beneficial for your tank, but some can become problematic. If you see them again, try capturing them and taking pictures of them in a very shallow bowl of water.

Be very careful trying to capture them though, they can sting/be poisonous. I wear thick dishwashing gloves whenever handling worms.

Brian

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef with 29 gal sump and 8 gal Clownfish species tank
Unread 03/14/2006, 02:07 PM   #153
drk70
Premium Member

Like Brian said get pictures. Not that I'm any good at ID'ing anything but you generally won't get an ID on a description alone.

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Unread 03/15/2006, 02:55 AM   #154
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

Looked all over for the yellow worms but couldnt find any. Ive seen a few of these, what is it? Seen them on the rocks, the gravel, and walls.

Found this snail. Only a couple of centimeters long, but is it a whelk?

Unread 03/15/2006, 10:28 AM   #155
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

The first critter is what is commonly called a hair worm or spaghetti worm. They are beneficial creatures to have in your tank. Once they settle in they will generally stay in one area and clean the sandbed or rocks.

As far as the second critter, I've never seen a snail with a shell like that. I would suggest going to Marine Depot and asking Dr Shimek what it is. However, you are going to need to get at least one more picture with the snail withdrawn into its shell and showing the opening of the shell. Similar to this picture:

Brian

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef with 29 gal sump and 8 gal Clownfish species tank
Unread 03/16/2006, 06:24 AM   #156
Fred_J
Registered Member

jezzeaepi-Dr Ron has an article on whelks in the November 05 issue of Reef Keeping.

I am having trouble finding the link to the DJ switching outlet. It's the thing that several people bought to plug everything into with individual on/off switches at each outlet. Can anyone help me.
Thanks

Current Tank Info: 75g reef 20g sump, 55g reef 10g sump
Unread 03/16/2006, 06:40 AM   #157
bobt2
Registered Member

does anyone have any acropora? i bought a tiny frag and a week later it looks the same, just a tiny piece of white coral. do any polyps show?did i get taken? or is this the way it should be?

Unread 03/16/2006, 08:24 AM   #158
patsan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred_J
I am having trouble finding the link to the DJ switching outlet. It's the thing that several people bought to plug everything into with individual on/off switches at each outlet. Can anyone help me.
Thanks
Fred, this is where I got mine from. I believe Bob and Phil also got theirs from this place.
DJ Switch

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
does anyone have any acropora? i bought a tiny frag and a week later it looks the same, just a tiny piece of white coral. do any polyps show?did i get taken? or is this the way it should be?
Bob, I don't have any, but I don't think it's supposed to look white. That sounds like it's either bleached or dead. Hope I am wrong though.

Current Tank Info: spectator
Unread 03/16/2006, 09:14 AM   #159
drk70
Premium Member

No acropora for me. At least not yet. Not sure how they would do under T-5's.

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Unread 03/16/2006, 09:24 AM   #160
patsan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
No acropora for me. At least not yet. Not sure how they would do under T-5's.
They would do fine under T-5's. You can have any coral you want with those lights. I seriously don't know why people keep thinking you can only have MH lighting with sps. Take a look around and see all the tanks that run with T-5's, and look how colorful and beautiful those tanks are.

Unread 03/16/2006, 09:33 AM   #161
drk70
Premium Member

You are going to get me started into something that will get me in trouble.

Next I will be having acro frags all over my tank.

Unread 03/16/2006, 09:39 AM   #162
patsan
Premium Member

Quote:
You are going to get me started into something that will get me in trouble.
Next I will be having acro frags all over my tank.
That's what friends are for!!

Unread 03/16/2006, 09:46 AM   #163
drk70
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
That's what friends are for!!
Gee Thanks!

I was jsut looking at some tanks lighted by T-5's with acros. I know where I'm going this weekend!

Unread 03/16/2006, 11:04 AM   #164
bobt2
Registered Member

it was white when i bought it at nerac .this weekend and it's high in a t-5 tank. reefgeek told me 6x54 t-5 would support sps

Unread 03/16/2006, 11:05 AM   #165
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
Gee Thanks!

I was jsut looking at some tanks lighted by T-5's with acros. I know where I'm going this weekend!
Dennis,

Yep, T-5s should be fine for acroporas. But I would start off small with acroporas, they can be real sensitive depending on the species you get.

I tried a tiny 1/2" frag of acropora in my tank and it did fine for the first month but then went downhill after that. It just slowly bleached away into a skeleton

I've decided to try montipora (I just found out from Eric Borneman last weekend that it is pronounced mon-tip-ora, not monti-pora) digitata first and make sure that grows well for a year or so before I try acropora again.

Brian

Unread 03/16/2006, 11:14 AM   #166
bobt2
Registered Member

brian, so if mine is all white did i get taken? i only bought it because it was $15

Unread 03/16/2006, 11:17 AM   #167
drk70
Premium Member

Look at this guys tank. Only T-5's for lighting. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1

I got a montipora digitata not long ago. It is doing OK. The guy at the LFS said it may not get real purple under T-5's but I figured I would try anyway.

The place I go has lots of small frags of acropora and montipora so it isn't so hard on the tank or the wallet if something goes bad.

Unread 03/16/2006, 11:39 AM   #168
bobt2
Registered Member

for some reason those colors don't look real!

Unread 03/16/2006, 04:10 PM   #169
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
brian, so if mine is all white did i get taken? i only bought it because it was $15
Bob,

Hard to tell without pictures, very close up pictures. Most acropora is not white, unless it is dead and only the skeleton. But there are some fairly rare (in the hobby) acropora that are white. They generally cost a LOT more than $15 though.

I would put the frag near the glass and use a magnifying glass and see if you can see any polyps or flesh on the skeleton. Once you've seen a dead acro skeleton you can usually tell if one is dead or not easily.

Brian

Unread 03/16/2006, 05:08 PM   #170
Fred_J
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Fred, this is where I got mine from. I believe Bob and Phil also got theirs from this place.
DJ Switch
Thanks Pat.

Unread 03/17/2006, 06:37 AM   #171
bobt2
Registered Member

well, after looking hard at my frag, there is a hint of blue color and it is a small piece so maybe theres hope.

Unread 03/17/2006, 08:07 AM   #172
patsan
Premium Member

Unread 03/17/2006, 08:09 AM   #173
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
well, after looking hard at my frag, there is a hint of blue color and it is a small piece so maybe theres hope.
Sounds like hope to me. Just slowly acclimate it to your lights, unless it was under super strong lights at the LFS.

I've heard stories of acros coming back from almost nothing left. I left mine in my main tank for 2 months in case it came back, it isn't like it has a ton of flesh to pollute the tank like a dying leather or colony of green hairy mushrooms. When it started growing coralline algae I knew it was gone

Brian

Unread 03/19/2006, 10:00 PM   #174
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

Are decorator crabs bad? I found mine today sitting on top of one of my cup corals, and there was a white spot on it where there was no more coral flesh showing. The rest of it looked perfectly fine. Should i kill the decorator? =(

Unread 03/19/2006, 10:09 PM   #175
skippy2
Registered Member

I spent $12 for my decorator crab at the lfs. Mine is at least 5"across covered in my zoos and kenya tree frags.
Before you kill it try to sell it. Maybe you can get credit for him at your lfs.

Current Tank Info: no tank
Closed Thread