Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/16/2019, 11:51 AM   #1
garygb
Registered Member

LED for magnifica

I've had my mags under T-5s for years, and I'm seriously considering LEDs. I'm looking at the Maxspect 24" Recurve 200 watt. First I am looking for reassurance that LEDs will be fine for my anemones. Second I'm looking for information whether the 100 watt Maxspect Razor would supply enough light. The tank is a cube that measure 24" and the anemones are midway from top to bottom in a 20" deep (top to bottom) tank. Any info from experienced anemone keepers appreciated.

garygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2019, 05:01 PM   #2
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Your nems will be okay and will look different based on the light you end up with.
I've had mags and gigs under ATI T5, Kessil A350/360, Maxspect Razor, Radion XR15 and XR30, AI Prime HDs and Aquatic Life Halo Deluxe. So quite a variety.
Out of all the lights Radions and AI Prime HD kept my gigs and mags the happiest. Something about that spectrum/output they really like. But my soft corals prefer Halo and Kessil.
So now I am running Halo/AI Prime combo to keep everything happy

I should point out my tank is shallow...11" tall

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 01/17/2019 at 05:13 PM.
CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2019, 07:42 PM   #3
garygb
Registered Member

Indeed, quite a variety. Thank you very much for the information. I will give Radions and AI Prime HD a closer look. Thanks again...Gary

Unread 01/17/2019, 07:55 PM   #4
top shelf
Registered Member

Second what CoralsAddiction said. I keep my mag under the older 120w version with whites at 50% and blues 70%. I have also retrofitted 2 T5's to the the fixture but I dont think they add much in terms of par. More or less they help limited the disco ball effect while still keeping the shimmer.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2019, 09:45 PM   #5
garygb
Registered Member

Thank you top shelf!

Unread 01/18/2019, 09:06 PM   #6
OrionN
Moved on

I keep my tank, and anemones under Radions for years now. No problem. Healthy and very nice coloration.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2019, 10:33 PM   #7
garygb
Registered Member

Thank you Minh. I'm getting the impression that LED alone will be fine with my mags. I'm just a little nervous because I've read about bleaching, changing corals colors, etc..

Unread 01/19/2019, 02:25 AM   #8
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygb View Post
I'm just a little nervous because I've read about bleaching, changing corals colors, etc..
Corals do change colors sometimes after switching lighting. My Hallucinations palys are probably the most prone to changing colors with light change (which probably explains its name...like Hallucinating color changes). Picture #1 is original frag with orange around its mouth under T5. Picture #2 orange color decreased and formed speckles under Kessil A360W. Picture #3 under AI Prime HD...more brownish shade to it.
If only there were cleaner and more convenient ways to hang/mount T5 lighting fixtures without a canopy I would go back to T5

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 01/19/2019 at 02:27 AM. Reason: added text
Unread 02/07/2019, 12:10 AM   #9
Insane_Realmz
Registered Member

Oohhh, wish I saw this thread earlier. I'm getting ready to setup a 65 gal to be a Mag home with clowns, nothing else. I've used the Hydra 1st gen over RBTA's before and they were fine. But they're old now and I'm looking to upgrade. I want to hear from the LED folks what they run for their Mags. DIY options too, I've considered the Lumia 5.2 also. I've run MH and T5's before. But I like want LEDs offer and I am looking for success stories with LEDs only.

Insane_Realmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2019, 08:53 AM   #10
Ron Popeil
Love them clownfish.

circa 2012, i had a 60 gallon with two heteractis magnifica anemones under 2 x AI Sols for over a year (tank on the left, tank on the right was halide/T5). you can certainly keep them alive under LEDs, and Im sure even more so with the more modern LED fixtures.

just dont skimp. i see too many tanks with too few LED fixtures. GO BRIGHT! and please oh please oh please dont just run them on 100% actinic.

Current Tank Info: 150 DD
Ron Popeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2019, 04:54 PM   #11
Insane_Realmz
Registered Member

I agree, I don't like the super actinic or windex blue that's been popular. Nice on using the Sol's. What was in the tank on the right? Looks wicked!

Insane_Realmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2019, 06:52 PM   #12
Ron Popeil
Love them clownfish.

it was a purple heteractis crispa and a pair of a. tricinctus.

Current Tank Info: 150 DD
Ron Popeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2019, 05:43 PM   #13
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Here's my gig under Halo Deluxe and Prime HD Combo. It's not as blue in real life as it is in the video. And that's a tiny Biota captive bred yellow tang.

Unread 02/09/2019, 07:47 PM   #14
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Photo:

Unread 03/23/2019, 01:45 PM   #15
Pavlo
Registered Member

I switched from Halides to Gen3 Radions about 5 years ago. My Mag is just as happy with the new light as it was with the old.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mag.jpg (81.4 KB, 150 views)
Pavlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2019, 04:25 AM   #16
Yuri Barros
Registered Member

I was reading some articles about PAR.......and the optimum PAR reading is between 200-400 micro mols..........

above 400 micromols photosynthesis stops.......and under 200 micromols the photosynthesis do not start...........

this is the first point to consider.........

another point is the PUR...........the two peaks of the PAR...........one at 345 nm........(UV -Blue peak)............and the other at 675nm (Red peak).......

maybe a good percentage is about 15-20% red emitters........

the PUR values came from the quality of your LED emitter............the fixture have to be constructed according these two peaks of the PAR........

and then you have to regulate the intensity..........with a PAR meter......not exceeding 400 micromols..........and not under 200 micromols.......

check this vídeo.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TvQQYAkSOo

Yuri Barros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2019, 08:22 PM   #17
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygb View Post
I've had my mags under T-5s for years, and I'm seriously considering LEDs. I'm looking at the Maxspect 24" Recurve 200 watt. First I am looking for reassurance that LEDs will be fine for my anemones.
I just recently went from T5 to Radion XR30 and back to T5. My newer magnifica has been under both and did well under both. The reason I went back to T5 was for my corals. They like it more than LED.
left side is LED and right side is T5