Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

View Poll Results: How much of a hassle is your RODI?
It never troubles me 74 80.43%
It's only a problem when I change filters 10 10.87%
It's a big headache on a regular basis 7 7.61%
It makes me angry to think about it 1 1.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 08/16/2017, 02:06 PM   #26
Opus123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieninsac View Post
No, it's not the water supply lines. It's coming from the connector of the two containers.

I spoke to BRS this morning and they said I need to replace this part.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1-4-x...pt-nipple.html

Unfortunately, it means disassembling the RO/DI unit to do so.
That is a pain. I've always seen them connected with ro tubing. Before ordering the part you might want to take it apart and retape the threads just to make sure that isn't the issue. I actually had one develop a hair line crack where it screwed in causing a slow leak.

Opus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 03:50 PM   #27
scuzy
Registered Member

1600 is way too much for a rodi. I never had issues with a 250 unit.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 06:13 PM   #28
Browncoat
Registered Member

RO buddy sucks, just went through two of them from Amazon. Returned both for a refund. I swore the first was defective because of quick the di was exhausted. The media is all too small, exhausted the DI resin after like 30 gallons. $20 bucks every 30 gallons? Crap product. I I think the twist in uses the same media.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Browncoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 06:16 PM   #29
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus123 View Post
I didn't think BRS had been in business for 25 years?
lol you are right what i meant to say is, i have been in hobby for 25 yrs and i have had no trouble with any rodi units, currently i have 2 units from BRS and i bought 1 about 10 yrs ago and 2nd about 5 yrs ago. Prior to BRS units i had some non branded units off ebay.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 07:16 PM   #30
bromion
Registered Member

Quote:
Timely thread as I just changed my filters and membranes today. I never had any problems before but now there is a leak between the 1st and 2nd stage filters. It looks like a nylon nut. It's a small leak and I'll let it be for now. The next time I call BRS I'll ask them for their advice.
This is what I'm talking about. Now you need to dismantle your unit, replace the part, and put it back together. If anything else breaks in the process it's a pain in the neck.

bromion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 09:18 PM   #31
bromion
Registered Member

Happened again! I just replaced a whole bunch of parts, ensured no leaks, and now it's leaking. Not sure from where yet. What a pain! Maybe my water pressure is too high? Is that possible?

Unread 08/25/2017, 09:27 PM   #32
kendrid
Registered Member

I have a $100 eBay unit that I attached a DI resin chamber to and I go from 400 TDS to 0 TDS water. I never have leaks or any issues.

You should sell that thing (not here, they will see this thread) and buy a new unit.

kendrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 10:14 PM   #33
bromion
Registered Member

That's the thing -- most of the parts are new! But yeah I'll probably buy a new unit.

Unread 08/26/2017, 07:11 PM   #34
bromion
Registered Member

So this time, the tubing ruptured. This tubing went between two sediment canisters, and it split almost clean off at the connector!

Unread 08/26/2017, 07:25 PM   #35
NaturalReef
Registered Member

I'm in the aquatic life camp and love it. I have a 50 gallon and the aquatic life with di fits the bill nicely. Last long time and super simple click changes.

NaturalReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2017, 10:19 PM   #36
PilotMaximus
Registered Member

BRS for me and so far so good after a few solid years of use. But as soon as i post this I'll have an issue. Isn't that how it goes?

You can Race anything you have 2 of.

Current Tank Info: 180g 72x24x24 and its mostly wet
PilotMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2017, 12:10 AM   #37
ncaldwell
Registered Member

Mine leaks as well. I bought an o ring replacement kit from Lowe's with with a lube packet on it that stoped the leaks. I think it was silicon oil or grease. Just a little did the trick

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ncaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2017, 10:15 PM   #38
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

25 year old Kent Maxxima. No problems. 2nd RO and I probably get 700 gallons plus out of the DI cartridges. I'm on hard well water. Even the shutoff bobber valve (only moving part) has never failed.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 04:41 AM   #39
Buckeye Hydro
.Registered Member

Quote:
Timely thread as I just changed my filters and membranes today. I never had any problems before but now there is a leak between the 1st and 2nd stage filters. It looks like a nylon nut. It's a small leak and I'll let it be for now. The next time I call BRS I'll ask them for their advice.
That part is called a hex nipple, probably 1/4" x 1/4". Easy to replace, or disassemble, rewrap with teflon tape, and reassemble.

Russ

Buckeye Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 04:43 AM   #40
Buckeye Hydro
.Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromion View Post
So this time, the tubing ruptured. This tubing went between two sediment canisters, and it split almost clean off at the connector!
Oh hold on a second here... I've heard a million times on Reef Central that "all the RODI systems are the same - its just the filters that are different."

Nothing could be further from the truth!

Russ

Unread 10/16/2017, 04:44 AM   #41
Buckeye Hydro
.Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaldwell View Post
Mine leaks as well. I bought an o ring replacement kit from Lowe's with with a lube packet on it that stoped the leaks. I think it was silicon oil or grease. Just a little did the trick

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Food grade silicone grease.

Orings - any orings - on an RO system or elsewhere are maintenance items. If a housing leaks at the threads, DON'T use the wrench and brute force to try to get it to seal - you'll damage the housing. Remove the oring, clean it, dry it, lube it, and re-install. Tighten by hand, with maybe just an 1/8 of a turn with the wrench if necessary. If it still leaks, replace the oring. Orings are uniquely sized, and specific to the brand of housing used by your vendor.

Russ

Unread 10/16/2017, 01:11 PM   #42
sh4rkbyt3
Registered Member

I got just over 100 gallons out of my RO Buddy and gave what was left to a friend. My starting TDS ranges anywhere from 147-218 old apartment building with copper lines. Depending on my friends water he should get about 300 gallons out of it at least so for the $57 dollar investment it was worth it IMO. The DI was less than 25% changed color.

I replaced it though with a Spectrapure MPDI 60 from 2009 that is running great. The MPDI is set up with a 90gpd membrane now and performs equally as well but with likely a much higher capacity. I've had Coral Life (years ago), Spectrapure and RO Buddy and to be honest they all performed well and gave 0 TDS end product. I dind't see any difference.

sh4rkbyt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 08:00 PM   #43
dublo8
Registered Member

I have had a spectrapure unit for nearly 12 years and a BRS unit for about 8. Both have served me well. a little o-ring lube every once in a while and everything is smooth as butter. I also have my unit mounted on a board that's mounted on the wall. Nothing ever moves. Either replace it completely or get new fittings, o-rings, lube and you should be good.

On a side note. sometimes replacing individual parts, connectors etc. could be problematic. I have noticed that some units don't use universal parts and the threading could be off or the fittings aren't up to snuff. (I.E. cheap parts)

Unread 11/02/2017, 07:16 AM   #44
Buckeye Hydro
.Registered Member

We are as close as your keyboard or phone if anyone ever needs help/pieces/parts/or systems.

Russ

Unread 11/02/2017, 07:34 AM   #45
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromion View Post
Happened again! I just replaced a whole bunch of parts, ensured no leaks, and now it's leaking. Not sure from where yet. What a pain! Maybe my water pressure is too high? Is that possible?
Could be.. what is your water pressure?

You state tubing ruptured later on in this thread.. That would be highly unlikely that your water pressure is that high..
Either you are buying absolute junk or you are doing something just wrong..

Show a picture of said ruptured tube?

Unread 11/02/2017, 07:40 AM   #46
Buckeye Hydro
.Registered Member

Our 1/4" tubing is rated at 15 bar (218 psi) at 70F. No way you have that sort of pressure in your house.

Russ

Unread 11/02/2017, 07:41 AM   #47
Buckeye Hydro
.Registered Member

Could be as simple as a tube not pushed into a fitting all the way.

Tags
rodi