Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/03/2012, 10:47 PM   #251
MammothReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleon View Post
Well, the halide is 16" above the tank. And it's not "inefficient" if you're trying to do what's right by extremely shallow growing Acropora.
So are you saying I can't properly grow shallow acros with a 250w halide, or Leds? News to me.

Current Tank Info: 105 Peninsula
MammothReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2012, 11:11 PM   #252
galleon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post

Hi Chris. Long time since I have followed one of your threads. Interesting tank you have set up. I always did like the Iwasaki bulbs, and have used the 400,s but had a preference for the 250w version. The 400,s seemed more yellow to me. I once ran a 400w in a large reflector, as the only light over my 180g cube style tank.

Look forward to following the growth progress. I see someone asked about fish. Any going in there?
Hi there Doug, I haven't decided on fish yet. I'm pretty certain there will be a couple in there though.

galleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2012, 11:11 PM   #253
galleon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammothReefer View Post
So are you saying I can't properly grow shallow acros with a 250w halide, or Leds? News to me.
No, that is not what I said at all.

Unread 02/03/2012, 11:54 PM   #254
vitz
Moved On

Rif!

Last edited by vitz; 02/04/2012 at 12:07 AM.
vitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2012, 11:59 PM   #255
vitz
Moved On

Quote:
Guys, while I appreciate the comments, I promise this is not a new, unique, out of the box way of growing corals. See Righty's post about his tank at work.
I'm fairly certain Lee Eng was doing this years before anyone on any hobby bb

(Though he used straight outdoors lighting, heh)

Last edited by vitz; 02/04/2012 at 12:06 AM.
vitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2012, 12:02 AM   #256
k.tran
Un-Registered Member

We need pics every day!

k.tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2012, 12:05 PM   #257
galleon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.tran View Post
We need pics every day!
Here's a teaser:

Unread 02/05/2012, 12:19 PM   #258
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

I am loving this thread. I usually stay out of this section because of the poor information and advice from closed minds. I see almost weekly someone claiming that 10k or lower bulbs just grow algae and cannot produce corals with color when in fact if it weren't for those old Iwasaki 6500's this hobby would be nothing like it is today. I like to see these people who have been in the hobby a long time chiming in. Several years ago I realized that I am a noob in this hobby 9 years in, and will probably always be one because I am learning something new constantly. We never know enough and those that think a years or two of success makes them an experienced hobbyist are just deluding themselves.

Great tank and a perfect reminder of what this hobby started as, and I am one of the few who believe that you do not need multi-thousand dollar setups, controllers, powerheads that talk to your lights, the latest and greatest skimmer of the month, etc etc, to have great growth and color from SPS. I will keep my simple tank and try to pass on what little I know to those who may need it.

I am looking forward to seeing this progress and some current myths dispelled. Great Job on starting this thread!!!

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2012, 01:14 PM   #259
Thales
Registered Member

Among the stuff that should get send to you this week are frags of:

Man, Iphones make stuff like this so easy!

Current Tank Info: 150 mixed reef with a 180 remote sump • 250 gallon fish breeding system • 200 gallon cephalopod breeding system • 212,000 gallon reef tank at work
Thales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2012, 01:21 PM   #260
galleon
Registered Member

Pocillipora eydouxi!!!! Perfect for this biotope!!

Unread 02/05/2012, 01:22 PM   #261
galleon
Registered Member

Thanks Rich, super super stoked!!

Unread 02/05/2012, 03:00 PM   #262
galleon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirreal63 View Post
I am loving this thread. I usually stay out of this section because of the poor information and advice from closed minds. I see almost weekly someone claiming that 10k or lower bulbs just grow algae and cannot produce corals with color when in fact if it weren't for those old Iwasaki 6500's this hobby would be nothing like it is today.
Old??? Hey, they still have the best CRI of any metal halide and still look more like the sun on a shallow reef than any bulb I've seen.

Quote:
We never know enough and those that think a years or two of success makes them an experienced hobbyist are just deluding themselves.
Well, I bought my first Acropora in 1999 and I hope I never stop learning and progressing.

I also have a deep appreciation for the skimming that limewood air driven skimmers are capable of.

Unread 02/05/2012, 03:37 PM   #263
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

No argument here, but old as in the way things once were. Today's reef lighting has gone away from lower K bulbs for the majority. I bounce between 10K's and Radiums, when I want growth I pop in the 10K's. I am a fan. :-)

Limewood is still the standard on small bubbles, used one for several years and no question they work great. After a few years of softies and fish I was given my first SPS frag in 2004 and the fun began...sometimes I wish I had refused that frag and poked him in the eye. I applaud your tenacity, I don't have a build thread here mainly because I don't want some kid with a 40 breeder and 15k worth of unnecessary equipment to tell me I am doing it all wrong. ) I did just start one on ARC though, if you are a member there.

There is a lot to be learned in this thread, and hopefully some of the less experienced people will read it and question what they are doing, and how. If all goes well maybe some will actually use the search function, there is a wealth of information on RC and so few people go looking for it. This thread may help change that, or maybe I am just being too hopeful. Thanks for doing this.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2012, 10:17 AM   #264
galleon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirreal63 View Post
I applaud your tenacity, I don't have a build thread here mainly because I don't want some kid with a 40 breeder and 15k worth of unnecessary equipment to tell me I am doing it all wrong. )

Unread 02/06/2012, 11:28 AM   #265
Giga
Registered Member

Love the idea and the tank! This thread also proves why I don't post on RC that often anymore, to many internet hulks beating their chest.

Current Tank Info: cool
Giga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2012, 12:12 PM   #266
galleon
Registered Member

Video of the air driven PVC skimmer that someone was talking down about earlier. I had just cleaned it a few hours prior. Don't mess with old school!

Unread 02/06/2012, 01:39 PM   #267
KafudaFish
Cyprinius carpio

Has anyone else noticed in the last year or so several air driven skimmers have hit the market?

KafudaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2012, 04:05 PM   #268
smsreefer
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KafudaFish View Post
Has anyone else noticed in the last year or so several air driven skimmers have hit the market?
I have not ran across them yet but that is good news.
It is hard to beat micro-fine bubbles from limewood/basswood and a long counter-current contact chamber AND get the benefit of being gentle on the plankton too.

Best combination in my opinion.
Kind of surprising to hear them coming back into manufacture though, considering the age of mega cost skimmers.
But it is good news.
Who is starting to put them back out ?

smsreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2012, 05:34 PM   #269
Rodrigo_BG
Registered Member

Quote:
Here's a teaser:

amazing macro!

which lens do you use for macros?

Current Tank Info: 45G Rimless & SPS
Rodrigo_BG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2012, 05:49 PM   #270
galleon
Registered Member

It's a Tamron 90 mm f2.8 macro with Kenko extension tubes. Ignore my dirty sensor.

Unread 02/07/2012, 08:57 AM   #271
KafudaFish
Cyprinius carpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsreefer View Post
I have not ran across them yet but that is good news.
It is hard to beat micro-fine bubbles from limewood/basswood and a long counter-current contact chamber AND get the benefit of being gentle on the plankton too.

Best combination in my opinion.
Kind of surprising to hear them coming back into manufacture though, considering the age of mega cost skimmers.
But it is good news.
Who is starting to put them back out ?
Oh the days of the 4 foot tall monster that sat outside your stand that made your wife begin to hate this hobby.

The air driven skimmers that I have seen are smaller units for nano-sized tanks. I don’t know much about them and don’t know if I have ever seen someone running one but off the top of my head I can think of ATB with a single and double chamber skimmer, reef octopus, BM, Mame out of Japan and the biocube one.

Again I don’t know the quality of these but it is interesting that some technology can stand the test of time in the hobby.

My skimmer overflowed last night and it makes me want to build a simple air driven one again (that would fit inside the stand of course). I downsized my tank and have a light bioload so the only thing that gets dirty is the neck.

Since we are discussing the skimmer Galleon can you tell me how you built it? Thanks.

KafudaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2012, 12:24 PM   #272
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Hi Galleon, what a wonderful, simple, cheap to set up tank that anyone can afford. All you need is a little knowledge. I see your good friends with Jerel and Greg from the other forum and took their advice on how to setup a tank. Also on the fish for your tank, I would add a couple tangs. Love the photos by the way keep posting them.

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Green Chromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2012, 12:44 PM   #273
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
It's a Tamron 90 mm f2.8 macro with Kenko extension tubes. Ignore my dirty sensor.
May I ask what size extension tubes ?

the pics look AMAZING !

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2012, 12:51 PM   #274
galleon
Registered Member

Allmost, it's the full set, all three rings with the Tamron on top.

Unread 02/07/2012, 09:24 PM   #275
Acropolooza
Registered Member

How did you make the air skimmer?

Acropolooza is offline   Reply With Quote