Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/29/2006, 12:01 PM   #1
livemontana
Premium Member

Using protein skimmer only at night

The noise my protein skimmer makes is pretty loud in a room that is otherwise quiet. I have been thinking about just using the skimmer at night but was wondering the potential downsides? I turned it off a bit ago and noticed a small drop in PH.

livemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2006, 01:13 PM   #2
daytriper
Premium Member

Some times it takes a while for a skimmer to kick in I do not think this would be good.

Current Tank Info: 180 reef,3 250w mh,4 80 watt t5,53 gal sump, 40 gal refugium, cal reactor,pos reactor,1/3 hp chiller,etts protien skimmer,octopus controler,40 gal frag.
daytriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2006, 02:27 PM   #3
HDAlien
Registered Member

I'd try to quiet the skimmer down (different pump?) and keep it running 24x7 if possible.

HDAlien

Current Tank Info: 220 gal. reef
HDAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2006, 03:01 PM   #4
easye123
Registered Member

what kind of skimmer is it?

Current Tank Info: 90g BB sps 30g sump. 2x175w mh. 2x110w vho act. Vortech. tunze 6025. ER rs 135. TLF phos. ACjr
easye123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2006, 03:12 PM   #5
MR PALM BEACH
Registered Member

After seeing all the discolored waste build up that it mine collects, only time that its going off is when the power is truly out. Ill never stop running it.

MR PALM BEACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2006, 03:36 PM   #6
UprightJoe
Registered Member

I shut mine down at night so that it doesn't suck out the oyster eggs and phyto that I feed.

It's definitely more productive and pulls more skimmate in the morning than it does in the evening. I wouldn't be afraid to run it part time.

UprightJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2006, 05:20 PM   #7
jnarowe
Registered Member

Many reefers runs their skimmers part-time and there are articles in Reef Keeping about it. Someone recommended that I run mine only at night but I can't remember why now.

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
jnarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2006, 05:48 PM   #8
UprightJoe
Registered Member

Here's the reason I've heard for running it at night if you're only going to run it part time:

pH tends to drop at night once photosyntesis stops and CO2 levels start rising. As a result, running your skimmer at night helps vent CO2 and keeps your pH more stable.

It's probably true and a strong argument for running skimmers at night. It makes sense to me anyhow.

I just worry more about my feeding situation and potential harm to nocturnal planktonic activity than I worry about pH. I've never found slight pH changes as a result of CO2 fluctuations to be deleterious.

UprightJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2006, 06:09 PM   #9
jnarowe
Registered Member

That was it! Good call. I think it was recommended in relation to me adding a large Ca reactor to the system. I feel the same as you in that in the morning when the lights first come on, the tank is crystal clear, but as the day progresses, water quality drops due to fish activity, feeding and algal growth. So I decided to keep mine running 24/7.

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
jnarowe is offline   Reply With Quote