Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/23/2019, 06:04 PM   #1
918ReefCpl
Registered Member

Question TwoLittleFishies 150 reactor seal problems

Been using TLF 150's for several years on my tank, recently cracked the 1st generation style lids and ordered two replacement lids. Received the OEM 2nd gen lids with the finger grooves and replaced both o-rings with new TLF 150 O-rings. Today noticed that there was water sitting on the bracket and dripping down the side of the reactor - pulled the reactor off the tank, inspected the lid (NO Cracks) and the O-ring (no cuts,burrs or crushed) - replaced the O-rings again with new TLF o-rings and just noticed a slow leak again coming from under the cap onto the bracket. O-rings were lightly lubricated before installation and hand tightened down.

Has anyone else experienced problems with the seal on these reactors with the new lids?

918ReefCpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2019, 03:33 AM   #2
Big E
Registered Member

I've gone through 3-4 of these over the years and I don't use them full time. They are junk and break or leak.

I have one with the newer lid, but it hasn't leaked on me. If you've already tried silone grease on the ring I'm not sure there is much you can do. Try not to over tighten, that might help.

On my main tank I bought a kit from Avast marine.......it's easy to assemble and will last your whole life. It's worth the extra cost beleive me. Use the on site coupon code and get 10% off.

The MR5 is what I have--
https://avastmarine.com/collections/...ia-reactor-kit

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2019, 06:25 AM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

I have had exactly the opposite experience with the TYLF 150's. I got my first one sometime in the early 90's and used it as a HOB GFO reactor on my 60 cube for about 20 years. Other than it being a little difficult to get the lid off for media changes, it has been a workhorse ever since. The only time it "leaked" it was because my cat had jumped on top of the tank and knocked the return elbow off. Me and the cat had a little talk about that one.

I purchased another a number of years ago for use on another tank. I lke the "new" top for it just because it allow for a better grip to get it off. It, too, has performed flawlessly.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2019, 10:45 AM   #4
918ReefCpl
Registered Member

Thank you both for the replies - sent an email off to TLF offices to see what their solution might be...
the tank is a closed loop system and no fuge/sump so anything that replaces the TLF-150's will need to be HOB type...

918ReefCpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2019, 11:24 AM   #5
moondoggy4
Registered Member

I have a Next reef reactor that sits on the top of the tank, I like it much better than the TLF reactors.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote