Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/18/2010, 12:36 PM   #51
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Once established the bangai is anything but docile ime.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2010, 04:29 PM   #52
pascal32
Registered Member

Can you dip the corals to get the little guys out? You might get lucky and dip while they are on there.

pascal32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2010, 05:53 PM   #53
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
Once established the bangai is anything but docile ime.
I agree. They're ferocious crepuscular hunters.
Personally, I wouldn't nuke the whole aquarium with interceptor unless all other options were exhausted and the problem persists.

Tom- have you ever had to nuke a system to kill pests?

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2010, 12:47 AM   #54
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Gary, I went through some acanastrea lordhowensis losses a few years ago. Randy O and Brent T were having some luck with interceptor( heartworm med for dogs) which was originally touted for red bugs on sps as a full tank treatment. Others noted success with red bugs on the sps forum and some spoke of success with acans. So a theory about micro crustaceans effecting acanastrea, and various chalice species from Australia in particular was born. As far as I know both Brent and Randy and others had success with repetitive whole tank interceptor treatments.
I got the interceptor but had some shrimp I didn't want to kill nor did I want to kill all the critters with extoskeletons in my whole system so no I did not do a whole tank treatment. I took out affected corals : set up a separate heated bin and treated them for 12 hours. Seemed the deterioration slowed down but it didn't solve the problem. Probably since the eggs or bugs themselves were still in the tank.

If I have that problem again I'll probably set up a separate tank for all affected species and treat that tank with Interceptor . I'd give the corals a Revive dip before placing them in the interceptor tank.I wouldn't return corals to the main system for a few months in the hope that the bugs if any in the system would starve.
The whole issue makes a good case for quarantining at least certain if not all corals and I may do that at some point particularly if my appetite for Aussie acanastrea lordhowensis returns.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
Unread 07/19/2010, 01:16 AM   #55
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Just for clarification. I'm not sure it's crustaceans at all . Could be bacteria, a dinoflagellate or ... I do know that Aussie lordhowensis will be attacked by peppermint shrimp(lystmata wundermani) and then there seems to be no return once they start to deteriorate. I'd love to hear if anyone did a microscopic examination. Nonetheless, the anecdotal successes with interceptor treatments seem very credible.

BTW .The bangai I have in my 120 hunts most of the night under some intermittent mild lunar lighting. I have some boisterous fish in there and the bangai doesn't shy away from them at all.

Unread 07/19/2010, 01:21 PM   #56
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

thanks for that info, Tom. I had a feeling that you never nuked a whole reef display

The nightlight suggestion is worth repeating for others: a very small amount of light somewhere near an aquarium during the night will allow fishes to see nocturnal bugs.

Unread 07/19/2010, 01:58 PM   #57
Scott48
Registered Member

i may have to try a bangaii but i feel my tank is topped out in amount of fish.
i will have to try the lighting at night, maybe with a small flashlight over top or maybe i'll pick up a single moonlight since my system has no moonlights. thanks all for the info.

i dont know much about the interceptor but id have to take the coral out and dose seperately seeing how i have shrimp and wouldnt want my copepods all gone.

Scott48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2010, 02:01 PM   #58
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

the light need not be fancy

I use a regular old nightlight plugged into an electrical outlet in the kitchen (about 20' away from the aquarium).

Unread 04/03/2011, 08:16 PM   #59
Willistein
Registered Member

I wanted to revive this thread because I'm pretty sure I have some monster amphipods munching on a healthy acan. I've seen them at night at the edges of the acans. I think that when amphipods get large enough they get powerful enough to get at healthy flesh. Anybody else ever deal with this or am I crazy? I've read about interceptor having a positive effect and I'd be willing to bet it's because it kills pods.

Willistein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2012, 06:04 PM   #60
phasezero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistein View Post
I wanted to revive this thread because I'm pretty sure I have some monster amphipods munching on a healthy acan. I've seen them at night at the edges of the acans. I think that when amphipods get large enough they get powerful enough to get at healthy flesh. Anybody else ever deal with this or am I crazy? I've read about interceptor having a positive effect and I'd be willing to bet it's because it kills pods.
You aren't crazy. Just when i thought the amphipods in my tank only had a taste for zoas and pally's, which is the reason i switched to an SPS tank only, just this last two weeks i found out they'll even go for particular sps too. I had a pocilllopora frag that had been doing great the last few weeks, I moved him to the rocks and just over night, i wake up to find the tissue chewed up a little with every single polyp eaten. It's 100% not RTN, nothing has flaked off leaving bare white skeleton. Two weeks before i woke up and found 2 or 3 large amphipods chomping away at my yellow fuzzy acro. After i blew them away i found the same type eroded tissue that i saw on my pocillopora. The fuzzy is doing great on frag rack.

phasezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2012, 10:03 PM   #61
Willistein
Registered Member

So, I'm convinced that amphipods will eat coral when they get hungry enough. I have my suspicions that they do this in newly established tanks that are very clean like mine was.

I'm 100% sure of this because I did a test. I noticed my newly aquired acan being munched on at night by fairly large amphipods. As others have mentioned, it could have been that they were just eating dead flesh, but I doubted it. So I took the acan and put it up on top of an upside-down glass bell jar figuring the amphipods couldn't climb it. That night I didn't see any amphipods on it. The NEXT day the coral looked better - more inflated.

This was months ago. I left the coral on the bell jar for a long time until it healed and was growing well again. I put it back on the sand bed and it hasn't been bothered since. My guess is that there is enough other food sources and the amphipod population s balanced out so they aren't starving. I'm no expert, but this is my experience. Good luck!

Willistein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2012, 08:57 PM   #62
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

i had to fast forward in this tread and take this for what its worth i had $10,000 to $12,000 worth of acan colonies and frags killed by this same type of infestation . it the time it has taken everyone to discuss what might be i know they are just melting every day just like that little aussie bug did to mine . i was told by a doctor in rochester that took a few of my survivors and treated them that it was a little white bug from australia and he nuked them with interceptor . six months late he gave me back 25 healthy acans that were in mint comdition and i had two five gallon buckets FULL of dead skelitons . now fast forward six months as i didnt completly learn my lesson the first time as i bought some more infestes acans and didnt dip them thus another outbreak ! two interceptor treatments later it stopped dead in its tracks and my corals were saved . i dont know everythin about these critters but the will march across your tank like an army and kill your lps with no remorse but yes interceptor kills it or at least killed what i had . there are to many unidentified things out in that vast ocean and sometimes you have to shoot from the hip . dose it now and you may end up with a few left alive or debate it and lose em all .if you treat outside of the tank you will not get them out of your tank and you will pay dearly for that crucial mistake . your pods will come back and i never lost a crab,snail or and livestock that the naked eye could see when i used it and i double dosed my tank just to be sure . my tanks are full of lps and delicate wrasses and they all made it through the nuke bomb .
just my 2 pennies that i have left from $12,000 worth of acans /

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2012, 10:16 PM   #63
pascal32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwrasseman View Post
i had to fast forward in this tread and take this for what its worth i had $10,000 to $12,000 worth of acan colonies and frags killed by this same type of infestation . it the time it has taken everyone to discuss what might be i know they are just melting every day just like that little aussie bug did to mine . i was told by a doctor in rochester that took a few of my survivors and treated them that it was a little white bug from australia and he nuked them with interceptor . six months late he gave me back 25 healthy acans that were in mint comdition and i had two five gallon buckets FULL of dead skelitons . now fast forward six months as i didnt completly learn my lesson the first time as i bought some more infestes acans and didnt dip them thus another outbreak ! two interceptor treatments later it stopped dead in its tracks and my corals were saved . i dont know everythin about these critters but the will march across your tank like an army and kill your lps with no remorse but yes interceptor kills it or at least killed what i had . there are to many unidentified things out in that vast ocean and sometimes you have to shoot from the hip . dose it now and you may end up with a few left alive or debate it and lose em all .if you treat outside of the tank you will not get them out of your tank and you will pay dearly for that crucial mistake . your pods will come back and i never lost a crab,snail or and livestock that the naked eye could see when i used it and i double dosed my tank just to be sure . my tanks are full of lps and delicate wrasses and they all made it through the nuke bomb .
just my 2 pennies that i have left from $12,000 worth of acans /
second that! I've had several cases of unknown recession and interceptor took it out. only happened after introducing new frags to the system. in my case they were not visible, at least not that I was able to find.

Unread 02/10/2012, 08:58 AM   #64
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

i now have crushed interceptor powder that i use for a couple hour dip for ne corals that i purchase . just sprinkle on a bit and mix water then dip . actually its done in a bag in my sump to keep temp correct throughout the dip.

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
Unread 03/10/2012, 03:04 AM   #65
swanker31
Registered Member

No i have had the same problem to they are indeed amphipods some 1/2 inch. They love my smaller pylop LPS corals like my trumpet, small orange plate. Anything that is on sand i now keep everything on my LR seems to be a bit better so far. How do i rid them from my tank.

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon mixed reef. 54w x 4 t-5 HO. soft corals) green star pylops,lg kenya tree, radioactive/lava zoa colony,green ricordea,glowing red mushroom,glowing green mushroom. LPS)duel branching pink hammer,med purple and red favia,red and green trumpet,
swanker31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2012, 06:41 AM   #66
cardiffgiant
Registered Member

Hopefully the leopard wrasse and mandarin in my tank won't allow anything like this to happen. It sounds like you really need to have interceptor on hand in case something like this happens.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2012, 11:57 AM   #67
pascal32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
Hopefully the leopard wrasse and mandarin in my tank won't allow anything like this to happen. It sounds like you really need to have interceptor on hand in case something like this happens.
for the chalice and acan issue I don't believe fish will help - no-one has been able to see what is causing the issues - interceptor does turn in around.

Unread 03/14/2012, 06:36 PM   #68
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

personaly i am a firm believer on the use of interceptor, when and if it is needed it can work miracles imo .i have used it on my own tanks and others at least ten times as there are many retailers that don't even dip their corals as a precaution .

Dave

Unread 07/08/2014, 08:12 PM   #69
uskram
Registered Member

Chalice parasite

I realize this is an old thread, but I was hoping someone might be able to confirm the damage to my chalice is from the parasite being discussed. Since the thread did not have photos of the damage, I wasn't sure. I have included 2 photos of the type of damage that is becoming more and more wide spread on my chalices. Thanks for the help.

[ATTACH]photo (2).jpg[/ATTACH]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (1).jpg (43.7 KB, 29 views)
Unread 07/09/2014, 04:28 AM   #70
laxguy615
Registered Member

I had this same problem too with an acan a few years back in another tank I had.

laxguy615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2014, 10:21 PM   #71
uskram
Registered Member

May I ask how you solved the problem?

Unread 07/10/2014, 08:54 PM   #72
ggdowski
Registered Member

Following this thread

ggdowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2014, 09:41 PM   #73
laxguy615
Registered Member

I didn't, started a bigger tank and started with all new rock. They only went after that acan nothing else. I have a video of them feeding on it at night.

laxguy615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2014, 07:50 PM   #74
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

interceptor in my eyes is a miracle for such an instance . i have a few pills left but they were taken off the market a few years ago from some sort of lawsuit i heard . i have tried to get some since just to build up my medicine cabinet but its not available from the manufacturer from what i can find out . i have tried three different vets and one is a customer so it's gone I'm pretty sure

Dave

Unread 04/13/2016, 10:36 PM   #75
ryan_facc
Registered Member

Amphipods eat corals

I have seen amphipods eat zoas, blastos bubble and acan
http://youtu.be/3mB8NH4iW5M

ryan_facc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acan, amphipods, coral