Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/21/2012, 07:51 PM   #151
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1327 View Post
Good luck i heard its hard
I would say ditto

If you do not test for it, DON'T dose it.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Sport507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2012, 11:47 AM   #152
mvhockey
Registered Member

Any updates as I just had my percs lay thier first eggs 3 days ago. This will be my first attempt. I have rotifer going in a 5g bucket, useing Phyto that I cultured a month ago to feed the rotifers.

mvhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2012, 01:08 PM   #153
ehaleyjr18
Registered Member

Watching with great expectations.

My son and my self will be following your adventure as we have ordered a mating pair of Darwin Clowns and intend to try as you are.

ehaleyjr18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2012, 09:48 AM   #154
chealy
Registered Member

Awesome thread! Ive been following it for a while. I can wait for my clowns to start spawning. Keep up the good work!

chealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2015, 09:07 PM   #155
gotfrogs
Premium Member

I am bringing an old thread back from the dead. Today I saw a new clutch of eggs my pair of true percula clowns must have just laid. I am thinking about ordering some rotifers and attempt to rear the fry.
https://youtu.be/c9H8ADvCEcg

gotfrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2015, 11:25 PM   #156
Riddler05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfrogs View Post
I am bringing an old thread back from the dead. Today I saw a new clutch of eggs my pair of true percula clowns must have just laid. I am thinking about ordering some rotifers and attempt to rear the fry.
https://youtu.be/c9H8ADvCEcg
Can't wait to see how it goes 😊

Riddler05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2015, 05:23 AM   #157
mako56
Premium Member

Wow long time since I was here. Very cool Gotfrogs it is a very good experience it cost some cash and lots of time and for me I couldn't make very much of it back but with that being said someday I will do it again. I still have the original Maroon clowns spawning, a set of thier offspring, and a pair of black and white clowns all spawning right now. I think maybe with the black and whites I could maybe get something back. It still wouldn't mater that much because it's just such a cool thing to accomplish. Lot of good luck.

Mike

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon, 260# live rock, 180# live sand, 75 gallon sump(half full), ASM G-4 skimmer, Korallin C1502 reactor, Sequence Barracuda closed loop, OM 8-way, Quietone return, three Ushio 250 watt de MH's and two 110 watt VHO's actinics. 34 g. Red Sea Max
mako56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2015, 07:04 PM   #158
gotfrogs
Premium Member

I think I have my hatchery set up and ready to go. I got my rofifers, RGcomplete and TDO-A pellets from Reed Mariculture and an amonia alert badge, simple light socket and z-wave controllable LED light from amazon. I programmed the light to come on at 10% intensity for 14.5 hrs per day.

The rearing tank and rotifer cultures are all ready to go. Hopefully the eggs don't hatch on Friday night as that will be the only night this weekend that I am not available to catch the fry.

Unread 03/19/2015, 09:10 PM   #159
gotfrogs
Premium Member

I counted 159 eggs today.

Unread 03/20/2015, 11:38 AM   #160
vertigo01
Registered Member

First time poster long time lurker.
Congrats on your success so far. I have read this thread and want to thank you for taking the time to offer your suggestions ans well as keep us updated.

I will be trying my hand at raising my clown fry ( plain Occy x Snowflake Occy )
Have my Phyto growing quite well, but the Rots are going to be a bit slower as I am starting them from eggs.

Last edited by vertigo01; 03/20/2015 at 12:25 PM.
vertigo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2015, 02:02 PM   #161
mako56
Premium Member

Very cool guys, the rots go pretty quick I think kind of like fruit flys. You are making really hard not to try this again.

Mike

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon, 260# live rock, 180# live sand, 75 gallon sump(half full), ASM G-4 skimmer, Korallin C1502 reactor, Sequence Barracuda closed loop, OM 8-way, Quietone return, three Ushio 250 watt de MH's and two 110 watt VHO's actinics. 34 g. Red Sea Max
Unread 03/20/2015, 02:48 PM   #162
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo01 View Post
First time poster long time lurker.
Congrats on your success so far. I have read this thread and want to thank you for taking the time to offer your suggestions ans well as keep us updated.

I will be trying my hand at raising my clown fry ( plain Occy x Snowflake Occy )
Have my Phyto growing quite well, but the Rots are going to be a bit slower as I am starting them from eggs.
Starting from cysts takes a bit. You'll need to go through quite a few generations to get the culture to stabilize IME. You're male count is probably pretty high right now

GreshamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2015, 06:47 AM   #163
vertigo01
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreshamH View Post
Starting from cysts takes a bit. You'll need to go through quite a few generations to get the culture to stabilize IME. You're male count is probably pretty high right now
My pair have been laying like clockwork every other week. Which i hope to have enough rots by next laying date ( 2 weeks from now ) to have enough rots ready. I hope.
I do have a question regarding feeding the rotifers.
I have seen mention that the rots are sensitive to salinity changes higher than .01 and any change higher or lower than that will kill them.

What keeps them from dying rather quickly when they are introduced to the fry/larva? Seeing as both the fry/larva are kept at different salinities?

Unread 03/21/2015, 07:22 AM   #164
mako56
Premium Member

I am not an expert or even close but that didn't seem to be an issue for me they are food so they don't last long anyways.

Mike

Unread 03/23/2015, 11:42 AM   #165
GreshamH
Registered Member

Just keep you roti culture at 1.022, they can handle the shock since you aren't culturing them that long in the tank, just a week to 10 days. They don't die from the shock, it just decreases their ability to build greater numbers faster.

Unread 03/25/2015, 07:11 AM   #166
vertigo01
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako56 View Post
I am not an expert or even close but that didn't seem to be an issue for me they are food so they don't last long anyways.
But if they die, wouldn't the purpose of feeding the fry/larva be defeated?
My understanding is that the rots need to be alive to illicit hunting instinct of the fry/larva. However, if the rots die when introduced into a higher salinity environment wouldn't the practice of feeding gut loaded frozen rots be just as beneficial?

As a newbie wanna be clown breeder, I am curious hence the question?

Unread 03/25/2015, 10:54 AM   #167
mako56
Premium Member

Well I was just saying the babies eat them so fast that they are not in the water that long any ways. Like I said I am not an expert I have raised a few batches but the market in my area was not good so I almost had to give them away. Mine were gold striped maroons and they have a reputation so you might have better luck I now have a pair of black and white clowns paired up and I might have better luck with them so I might just try again.

Mike

Unread 03/25/2015, 11:28 AM   #168
mako56
Premium Member

Well let's see if I can still do this.[/URL][/IMG]

Mike

Unread 03/25/2015, 11:32 AM   #169
mako56
Premium Member

[/URL]

Mike

Last edited by mako56; 03/25/2015 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Wrong picture
Unread 03/25/2015, 11:45 AM   #170
mako56
Premium Member

[/URL]

Mike

Unread 03/25/2015, 02:38 PM   #171
vertigo01
Registered Member

Looks like you still know what you are doing
How old are the fry now? I am assuming post Meta?
Just got my shipment of rots in from Reed Mariculture today.
My pair haven't laid yet this week but I want to make certain that I have enough well in advance.

I can always collect the excess and feed the corals.

Unread 03/25/2015, 05:29 PM   #172
mako56
Premium Member

The clowns with the eggs is a fairly new picture but the eggs and the babies are pretty old. I have two of the babies left and in a 24 gallon nano and they re laying eggs now too. I couldn't find anyone that wanted the young fish so I didn't keep doing it but am thinking that maybe I could do it again with the black and white clowns and have better luck. Like I said though it is a very cool experience and would do it again just for doing it.

Mike

Unread 03/26/2015, 04:19 PM   #173
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo01 View Post
Looks like you still know what you are doing
How old are the fry now? I am assuming post Meta?
Just got my shipment of rots in from Reed Mariculture today.
My pair haven't laid yet this week but I want to make certain that I have enough well in advance.

I can always collect the excess and feed the corals.
Heck yeah... That's how Roti-Feast was spawned in the Reef Nutrition line. It was the waste stream (daily cull/harvest) of rots from our commercial system (the one that your culture came from). Then it took off and we had to start its own system

Unread 03/26/2015, 10:12 PM   #174
gotfrogs
Premium Member

Not sure what is going on. Today is day #11 for the eggs. The lights have been out for over an hour and I have only seen two fry. I caught one but lost the other to the skimmer. Hopefully more will hatch soon as I am really sick of staying up late and want to go to bed.

Unread 03/27/2015, 08:01 AM   #175
vertigo01
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreshamH View Post
Heck yeah... That's how Roti-Feast was spawned in the Reef Nutrition line. It was the waste stream (daily cull/harvest) of rots from our commercial system (the one that your culture came from). Then it took off and we had to start its own system
I assume you work for Reed, GreshamH?
This was my first order with Reed and I must say that i am impressed with the customer service and packaging.
Total opposites from my dealings with 2 other rot suppliers, where 1 wrapped the rots in a thin layer of newspaper as packaging and the other didn't bother to use heat packs and they came in as popsicles..lol