Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/26/2015, 05:21 PM   #1
nladd
Registered Member

unhappy GSP

About 2 weeks ago I purchased my first coral frags, a GSP and a green and red Zoa. Both frags looked really good at the lfs which is why i picked them, i got them home and drip acclimated them for 45 minutes and obviously they were both closed up tighter than Fort Knox, But after about 20 minutes of being in my tank both were fully opened and looked good but that didn't last long for the GSP. Now only 1-2 polyps are open at a time and they don't stay out long, its currently at the stop of my rock work where it gets a good amount of light (coralife biocube stock lighting). I moved it to a mid level rock and it didn't come out period for the few days I had it there. I Tested my water before putting it in and everything was in check, I will test the parameters again tonight to check again. I was worried it wasn't getting enough flow so I added an mj1200 pump today. Does anyone have any idea why its not coming out?

Before

After

nladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 05:30 PM   #2
TangingOut
Registered Member

Those are clove polyps, not gsp

TangingOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 05:38 PM   #3
danil
Registered Member

Looks more like GSP for me. It seems like your tank is still new. I would do nothing special at this moment. Do you regular WC (may be extra one) and check it out every day.
It's really (really) hard to kill GSP. I would wait.

danil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 06:00 PM   #4
CafeReef
Registered Member

What are your calcium levels at?

Unread 03/26/2015, 06:38 PM   #5
TangingOut
Registered Member

The stalks are throwing me off. Usually when gsp is closed, it's just a flat mat. Also the tentacles look to have fuzz/feathering, but could just be the picture.

TangingOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 06:53 PM   #6
cnreef
Registered Member

Def gsp, mine took a few days to get used to the flow in my tank..

Current Tank Info: 1 B&W ocellaris, 1 azure damselfish, 1 starry blenny, rock boring urchin, pincushion urchin, 4 scarlet reef hermits, several snails
cnreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 07:02 PM   #7
aquascapelove
Registered Member

Def GSP and I wouldn't worry too much yet.... When I got mine my lfs owner told me it might be a few days before it comes out and def would be a little bit before fully open. Yours doesn't appear to be in bad health. From what I know though usually it likes lower light and med flow so maybe it was unhappy so high up off the gate.... Just wait it out and see mine closes up every night so dont be surprised if you see a couple polyps during the day then closed again a few days before it really opens up.

aquascapelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 07:16 PM   #8
pyithar
Registered Member

maybe it wasn't getting enough flow. gsp like high light, high flow ime. now it'll adjust to your new flow and it should come out after a week. if not, something might be wrong with the water.

Current Tank Info: 150G display, 50G sump, mixed reef
pyithar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 07:41 PM   #9
top shelf
Registered Member

To be completely honest and maybe I'm wrong but gsp seem to thrive in just about any condition weather it be high light and high flow or low light and low flow, personally I have had my girlfriends in both from the sand bed under crappy t5 ho bulbs to a now high end led in the middle, its seems to come down to it acclimating to your system. As long as a few polyps still come out I wouldn't worry much before you know it the thing will be taking over that piece of live rock its on.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 08:44 PM   #10
delor
Registered Member

I can't kill it when I try.... Give it time.

Current Tank Info: Current: 90 gal RR reef tank, LED. Old:55gal RR, 440W VHO, 80# LR, LS, 20gal sump, SCWD. 5 gallon nano, 75 gal FOWLR
delor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 08:47 PM   #11
Reef Frog
Registered Member

I've had GSP for 5 years. That does not look like GSP even on my smartphone. Is the underlying tissue purple? If it is, then it's GSP. Google some pics and you'll know for sure.

It looks mounted in a hi position. I don't know what kind of light you have, but moving it down in the tank might help.

Reef Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 09:03 PM   #12
nladd
Registered Member

Just noticed in the 2nd picture a couple polyps made their daily appearance. An the base is Definantly purple, phones not the best at getting pictures, it is also on one of the highest points in the tank due to me still having the crappy Biocube stock lighting still. My main worry is I've read other posts about them taking awhile to open up but not 2 weeks like mine. Just finished up testing the water too.
Ammonia-0
Ph-8.2
Kh-8
Nitrates-2
Nitrites-0
Cal-450
Mag-1400

nladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 09:41 PM   #13
top shelf
Registered Member

Parameters seem to be in order, as long as its not melting or dying away and receding I wouldn't worry. Maybe try moving it lower liked mention and letting it be for a bit. The fact a few polyps still come out is a good sign.

Just a thought and its hard to tell from the pictures but if there's any built up crude on it or algae it might not open. Had that happen once and after cleaning off algae it opened right back up.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 09:44 PM   #14
pyithar
Registered Member

as long as it's not dead, it'll open up eventually once the conditions are right. they're very hardy corals. let it adjust to the new flow for a week and see if it opens. if not, you'll need to upgrade the light imo.

Current Tank Info: 150G display, 50G sump, mixed reef
pyithar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 09:48 PM   #15
acrohead500ppm
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyithar View Post
maybe it wasn't getting enough flow. gsp like high light, high flow ime. now it'll adjust to your new flow and it should come out after a week. if not, something might be wrong with the water.
+ 1 to all the above.

esp with the "give it a little bit of a flow love" advice.

acrohead500ppm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2015, 10:43 AM   #16
Reef Frog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nladd View Post
Just noticed in the 2nd picture a couple polyps made their daily appearance. An the base is Definantly purple, phones not the best at getting pictures, it is also on one of the highest points in the tank due to me still having the crappy Biocube stock lighting still. My main worry is I've read other posts about them taking awhile to open up but not 2 weeks like mine. Just finished up testing the water too.
Ammonia-0
Ph-8.2
Kh-8
Nitrates-2
Nitrites-0
Cal-450
Mag-1400
Glad it's opening up. You should be fine - GSP can be one of the first corals in a tank to retract to small changes & disturbances but it is a very hardy coral. Your parameters are good. It will grow almost anywhere under a wide variety of lights & flow.

Reef Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2015, 10:55 AM   #17
Jason S
Registered Member

They are GSP for sure, and they do like higher flow. In the second picture, they look like they may be covered in a bit of slime algae. It could be an optical illusion, but I see it in the first picture on the rocks too. If they are covered in algae, try to turkey baste it off, and then make sure they are getting enough flow.

What is your phosphate level?

Edit: I looked at the picture again, and I can almost definitely see algae on them, and if you notice, the stalks that look more purple and clear on the ones with polyps extended. I am thinking this is the issue.

Current Tank Info: 125 Gallon SPS Dominant T5 mixed reef and a 29 Gallon Biocube with Soft Corals, LPS, and various other polyps.
Jason S is offline   Reply With Quote