Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/05/2015, 08:52 PM   #51
reeflover62
Registered Member

The ultimate trick is ?? The best colored corals that I have ever seen was a friend of mine that ran 2 400watt XM over a 90gal. with 2 vho super actinics.That's 1020 watts!! He had lots of fish a small deltec skimmer and lots of nuisance algae. He could take any coral from my tank or the store and turn it into a jewel in a few weeks.

reeflover62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2015, 04:43 AM   #52
wcharon
Registered Member

Thanks...

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. Reef, Chiller 1/4, Skimmer SRO SSS-1000 (Old), Aquamaxx EM-200, Aqua C UV, Actinic ReefBrites, Kore 5th. Doser, APEX Full
wcharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2015, 07:18 AM   #53
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHorse View Post
completely agree just don't count on them growing.....
Mine and a lot of other reefer the coral grow great under LED for a long time, years. None of these success for 3 months and crash. I used to keep coral under MH also and they grow great and have great color also. Minimal heat and no chiller, great color and growth, plus a lower e bill, cause me to switch over. The cost right now for LED is 10 time the start up cost for MH. However maintenance and operating cost is a fraction of MH.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2017, 08:21 PM   #54
dtum
Registered Member

Thought I'd give this thread a bump. It has been almost two years and I was wondering if anyone else wanted to share their thoughts. I'm looking at you, lunar!

Unread 03/15/2017, 07:09 AM   #55
markalot

2 Years later and my opinions haven't changed much.

I'm using PhosphateRx (lanthanum chloride) to help me keep PO4 steady since I was unable to handle GFO and constant replacement.

My colors look best when KH is around 6.7 and PO4 is around .05 with some detectable nitrates.

I've fallen into the trace dosing trap and as Peter alluded to very early in the thread I have no idea if it's needed or not. Dosing traces does increase my Alk usage ... maybe.

I still have the coral mentioned in my earlier post and it's a LOT bigger.

As is this one.

Unfortunately I would not call my colors at their peak, or what is needed for TOTM type color. On the left side of the photo above you can see the rather drab looking Red Robin. When things are perfect it starts to get some knockout reds on it.

In my latest attempt to hold good color I have increased PO4 reduction even though my tests show the same level of PO4. I am seeing improvements over the last few weeks but need another month or so to really judge.

Unread 03/15/2017, 08:05 AM   #56
Piper27
I love bengals

I have found some metals have a good impact on color with low po4, providing a nice metallic sheen to the corals flesh. Manganese and zinc are two that I like to make sure are in the bottles I use. This combined with low nutrients and heavy feeding with a lot of fish and high light and flow really makes some nice corals. Even some copper sulphate additives are a nice if used correctly. Using bulbs with a lower kelvin rating and using a lot of blue led suppliment also will bring out some colors you won't see on a 20k tank. It takes a bit of time for the corals to adjust and grow to show better colors but 10k bulbs are my favorite if supplimented correctly. Dosing flourine and iodine together can provide nice colors on acroporas branches, although I have not experimented with it for as long as I would like to in order to give advice on using it. Not sure how much results you will see in higher nutrient tanks as opposed to low nutrients.
But the main thing I tell people is feed as much as you can feed your fish while keeping nutrients very low and you will see great colors providing everything else is in order. The more fish in the system the healthier the corals. The better and more diverse your filtration is the easier it is to feed more. I don't like to rely on just one filtration method. Some methods can benifit the tank in ways others can't. With large tanks, diversity in filtration and tank inhabitants makes for a nice easier to maintain tank. That's my experience at least.

This is a good topic, especially if experienced reefers all chip in we could learn some stuff.

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 08:59 AM   #57
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Posts #2 and #3 are still pretty much right on the money. ...and would have been ten or twenty years ago.

My only thing to add is that frags and colonies are whole different animals. The equipment and experience level to get a frag to encrust a frag plug is a totally different skillset than the one needed to keep colonies the size of softballs or much larger - especially the equipment. If you want to excel at colonies, then do what people with colonies do.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 10:24 AM   #58
gdemos
Registered Member

most all here i'd agree with most particularly with High Nutrient Import : High Nutrient Export as a principal. so far as additives go and speaking from my experience, my systems growing and keeping large/robust Acro colonies, the most important factor i'd suggest is experiment safely (i.e. 1/4 dose to 1/2 dose for starters, observe observe observe).

gdemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 10:40 AM   #59
coraldude
Registered Member

Here's a big question for you guys. Does anyone get good growth and collaboration dosing to part? Or do you guys have better luck using calcium reactor?

I have been dosing to part for the last year and get decent growth and color, but have just switched to a calcium reactor and in the last two weeks I'm seeing great results.

I would love to hear your opinion on two part dosing versus calcium Reactors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 350 and 25 brood stock tanks for clownfish
coraldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 10:55 AM   #60
Piper27
I love bengals

Calcium reactor and kalk all the way for me, I never could get the same results with a big tank and dosing. I would try and go back, when I hooked up the reactor and kalk things made an obvious turn around both times.

Unread 03/15/2017, 10:55 AM   #61
gdemos
Registered Member

2 weeks may be premature to observe definitive 'great results' but it's great to hear!! my reason for using a calcium reactor is largely due to the belief that the dissolved reactor media is not only providing calcium and alkalinity, but also potentially all the 'other elements' that are composed within the arragonite. i've wondered if anyone conducted an ICP on Calcium Reactor Effluent (of various media) and attempted to compare to a traditional 2-Part solution mixed with their water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coraldude View Post
Here's a big question for you guys. Does anyone get good growth and collaboration dosing to part? Or do you guys have better luck using calcium reactor?

I have been dosing to part for the last year and get decent growth and color, but have just switched to a calcium reactor and in the last two weeks I'm seeing great results.

I would love to hear your opinion on two part dosing versus calcium Reactors

Unread 03/15/2017, 12:01 PM   #62
coraldude
Registered Member

I also like the idea of the other elements being resolved

Current Tank Info: 350 and 25 brood stock tanks for clownfish
coraldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 12:30 PM   #63
reefmutt
Registered Member

I would agreed, posts #2 and #3 are still the fundamentals..
I think there are reefers here that would agree with Piper concerning specific trace elements, though..
One thing that i think may get overlooked is what types of food get into a reef.
frozen foods like mysis and brine or various seafood mixes don't necessarily have some of the preservatives found in some dry pellet foods.
most pellet foods contain either all or some of the following preservative agents: zinc, manganese, iron, copper.. and others..
Not to mention the digestion of marine algae by fish that produces some amino acids..
All this to say, some reefers may say that they don't dose or don't need to dose certain things but may actually be dosing them without knowing.. especially large systems that rely on pelleted food to feed many fish..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 03:19 PM   #64
Piper27
I love bengals

Good point, the food you feed is another key. I would say a tank being fed by a wide variety of of frozen and or fresh foods will have more healthy and diverse of life. Everything in my tank feeds off the mixture of foods I feed. If I fed only pellets I would only be feeding my fish and everything else including the corals would be only relying on fish poo. Which works, maybe better for some who have very small tanks, but the healthier the system the healthier the corals.
Most of us know the basics can get amazing results but none of them are tricks. That's why I brought up metals and such. No one brought up anything along those lines yet and I find stuff like that very interesting.

Unread 03/15/2017, 03:21 PM   #65
gdemos
Registered Member

I'd 2nd your emotion on copper sulphate having a positive impact on my sps colonies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper27 View Post
Good point, the food you feed is another key. I would say a tank being fed by a wide variety of of frozen and or fresh foods will have more healthy and diverse of life. Everything in my tank feeds off the mixture of foods I feed. If I fed only pellets I would only be feeding my fish and everything else including the corals would be only relying on fish poo. Which works, maybe better for some who have very small tanks, but the healthier the system the healthier the corals.
Most of us know the basics can get amazing results but none of them are tricks. That's why I brought up metals and such. No one brought up anything along those lines yet and I find stuff like that very interesting.

Unread 03/15/2017, 03:57 PM   #66
Piper27
I love bengals

Yea there is no need to overdo it with certain products either. Some products contain smaller amounts you can add daily for much milder results. I have yet to try to use the more potent bottles but may at some point just to experiment with it.

Unread 03/15/2017, 04:12 PM   #67
Stolireef
Registered Member

If you are using 'non-synthetic' salt, shouldn't they provide all of the necessary trace elements?

Current Tank Info: 125 Rimless Leemar, Apex, Trigger 30 Elite Sump, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 X Gen4 Radion XR30W, BM Doser, 2xMP40WES, 2xTunze 6095, Sicce Syncra 4.0.
Stolireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 04:19 PM   #68
slavetonet
Registered Member

Trace elements, fatty acids, lipids, aminos, vitamins all play a major part in healthy corals.
In return - the coral growth and colouration can exceed what can happen in nature.
It is just not common knowledge amongst reefing.

I can't elaborate anymore on it as it would take too long to explain it.
All I know it works very well.

slavetonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 04:58 PM   #69
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolireef View Post
If you are using 'non-synthetic' salt, shouldn't they provide all of the necessary trace elements?
Technically yes but It depends greatly on coral density, growth rates and water change frequency,
If one were changing 100% of the water each week, one would have great replenishment, I suppose. But if you have a 300 gallon tank with several small colonies or a 70g tank jam packed with mature colonies, the trace element requirements will be very different. Also, depending on filtration methods, this may also change trace element requirements.
I suspect a fast growing cheato fuge will not only reduce n and p, it will also reduce beneficial trace elements..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 06:52 PM   #70
Vio
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Mine and a lot of other reefer the coral grow great under LED for a long time, years. None of these success for 3 months and crash. I used to keep coral under MH also and they grow great and have great color also. Minimal heat and no chiller, great color and growth, plus a lower e bill, cause me to switch over. The cost right now for LED is 10 time the start up cost for MH. However maintenance and operating cost is a fraction of MH.
LEDs need 20 years more to come close to MH Radium, 10 x less ( LED) got nothing to do w/color , use more Live Rocks, use Refugium (grow Chaeto) use GOOD salt, run Algae Scrubber, less mechanical filters, go more Bio, get rid of Detritus fast is possible, use a GOOD Protein Skimmer, use good RO/DI, use some Kalkawasser Sttir ( Deltec) good water flow. Good CUC crew. Feed the fish w/natural food. etc.

Vio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 06:53 AM   #71
stevedola
Master of my domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vio View Post
LEDs need 20 years more to come close to MH Radium, 10 x less ( LED) got nothing to do w/color , use more Live Rocks, use Refugium (grow Chaeto) use GOOD salt, run Algae Scrubber, less mechanical filters, go more Bio, get rid of Detritus fast is possible, use a GOOD Protein Skimmer, use good RO/DI, use some Kalkawasser Sttir ( Deltec) good water flow. Good CUC crew. Feed the fish w/natural food. etc.
This is mostly opinion. LEDs are not 20 years from MH radiums. They can grow healthy colorful corals today. The initial cost of LEDs have come down substantially since 2015 (which is when the quote from Orion was from) to where its 2x to 3x the initial cost of a MH radium with reflector setup currently.

There are obviously other factors and other disciplines to maintaining a healthy tank (many you listed). It is not a necessity to implement MH or T5 lighting in order to create a healthy vibrant SPS system.

Current Tank Info: coming soon...
stevedola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 01:03 PM   #72
Stolireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vio View Post
Ummm. Have you seen the TOTM thread for March. He's using AI Hydra 52s (not even the latest version). I don't think he has any issues with coloration or growth. I promised to link to his TOTM thread every time I see a post like this. A TOTM from a few months ago (Elliott's tank) is running on AI Sols. He lives a few blocks from me and I've seen his tank in person many times. Acro's grow out of the top of the tank. I think we can put this one to bed.

Current Tank Info: 125 Rimless Leemar, Apex, Trigger 30 Elite Sump, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 X Gen4 Radion XR30W, BM Doser, 2xMP40WES, 2xTunze 6095, Sicce Syncra 4.0.
Unread 03/29/2017, 02:14 PM   #73
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

This is an ultimate color thread. There are still no LED tanks that have ultimate color. None. The panels do an OK job and that is good enough for some people, but every one of the TOTMs would have better color with Radium or Phoenix lighting. There is an extra 20-25% there that you can get with better lights... especially with some of the more colorful acropora.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 03:13 PM   #74
markalot

I don't think we need to have this argument here. IMO there are too many variables at play with acros and lighting. There are some acros that look better under LED, I've seen it first hand. There are MORE that look better under halide or t5, and there are apparently some that will refuse to color if any LED's are over the tank. I'm not sure anyone knows why, though lot's of folks will claim otherwise.

I would hope this thread will quickly get back on track. What is 'your' trick for coloring up SPS? What did you do, how long did it take, do you have a success story? You being the general you, not someone in particular.

Unread 03/29/2017, 04:15 PM   #75
Stolireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
I don't think we need to have this argument here. IMO there are too many variables at play with acros and lighting. There are some acros that look better under LED, I've seen it first hand. There are MORE that look better under halide or t5, and there are apparently some that will refuse to color if any LED's are over the tank. I'm not sure anyone knows why, though lot's of folks will claim otherwise.

I would hope this thread will quickly get back on track. What is 'your' trick for coloring up SPS? What did you do, how long did it take, do you have a success story? You being the general you, not someone in particular.
Agreed. Sorry I brought it up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk