Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2017, 02:05 PM   #1
meegwell
Registered Member

can nopox cause algae?

I am a little confused on this issue and I have been trying to bone up on it. I wont get into my results, but just curious - if all else is constant, can the introduction and continued use (prescribed, above, or below levels) of red sea nopox cause an increase/breakout of algae?

Unread 03/29/2017, 02:42 PM   #2
Potatohead
Registered Member

Algae, not really. Cyano, yes. Start at a low dose and work your way up very slowly. Nopox is a great product but Red Sea's instructions are very aggressive IME. I start around 1/4 dose and raise up a bit a week until nitrate lowers to where I want, then cut it in half or even less to maintain that level.

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 05:56 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

I agree that NOPOx can fuel cyanobacteria blooms. It also can fuel dinoflagellates. If the tank starts showing signs of trouble, I'd recommend stopping the treatment or backing off on it.

Unread 03/30/2017, 02:54 AM   #4
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Used this product once. Turned my tank PINK. No, not cyno, I'm talking pink cloudy water. Like pepto pink. All water tests came out normal but took over a week to clear.
Never did figure out why. Even the people at the company were stumped.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 05:33 PM   #5
djbon
Registered Member

Nopox = nutrient export. Once no3 below certain range (low) and if you have excess po4 in rocks and start leaching, bammmm. Algae!. Been there myself. Reduce your lighting period, bring down red/green/white spectrum if using LED, skim wetter and use GFO.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon/Arduino Controller
djbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 05:33 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

I'd guess you were seeing a phytoplankton or bacterial bloom. That is strange, though.

Unread 03/30/2017, 08:39 PM   #7
mindi
Registered Member

If I overstep the dosing of NOPOX at all even by failing to reduce it when just a maintenance need...I get bacterial slime and Cyano problem. Always. But it is still the method of choice to control Nitrates IMHO

Current Tank Info: Cade PR1500 with Seachem Kona Coast and Sanrise 120 LED
mindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 07:12 AM   #8
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

I've been dosing carbon for years now and have had cyano and dinos while carbon dosing. I have some GHA but nothing too bad. If your seeing algea, like others, I'd sugest reducing your dose and see if it gets better. Keep an eye on nitrates to see if your reduced dosing is causing them to rise. If you can't find a good level of dosing that keeps nitrates and phosphates where you want them while not causing bacterial blooms, you can consider reducing feeding some, or increasing nutrient export another way.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote