Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/19/2012, 02:38 PM   #51
echoreef
Registered Member

Your juvenile goldflake is even younger than mine thus looking completely different. In a year time, yours will look like what mine was 2 years ago. I am not sure if people posting on this thread are aware of the color changes that a goldflake goes through from birth to adulthood. You get to see all that since yours is so young. It will take a few years to get to the adult coloration. The picture on liveaquaria is of a full grown adult and a juvenile goldflake that is more than a year old. Which is what mine looked like when I picked it up in 2010.

echoreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2012, 02:49 PM   #52
chgoblknazn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoreef View Post
Your juvenile goldflake is even younger than mine thus looking completely different. In a year time, yours will look like what mine was 2 years ago. I am not sure if people posting on this thread are aware of the color changes that a goldflake goes through from birth to adulthood. You get to see all that since yours is so young. It will take a few years to get to the adult coloration. The picture on liveaquaria is of a full grown adult and a juvenile goldflake that is more than a year old. Which is what mine looked like when I picked it up in 2010.
I can't wait. The LFS got 4 of them in. Mine was the smallest at 1.5". The others were 5", 6" and 7" and all had adult coloration. The largest was STUNNING. He sold out of them in less then 3 days. The largest would have sold sooner but arrived not eating. The day it started devouring mysyis, it sold right in front of me.

Unread 12/19/2012, 05:21 PM   #53
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoreef View Post
I am not sure if people posting on this thread are aware of the color changes that a goldflake goes through from birth to adulthood.
I'm not sure what pictures you are looking at... I see no loss of black, no loss of purple on the lips, and no loss of gold flakes, in adults

http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/ca...lake-angel.jpg

http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/Pictu...ecies&TotRec=6

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2012, 05:52 PM   #54
chgoblknazn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
I'm not sure what pictures you are looking at... I see no loss of black, no loss of purple on the lips, and no loss of gold flakes, in adults

http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/ca...lake-angel.jpg

http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/Pictu...ecies&TotRec=6
Those are both adults.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Unread 12/20/2012, 09:11 AM   #55
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

I think you guys missed what ech72 is talking about. If you go back to page two and look at his pictures, his adult fish has lost it's black color from 2010 to 2012.

The 2010 and 2011 picturs show a healty colored fish. The 2012 picture shows his has lost the black in it's fins.

Could it be that the fish is changing to the other sex? Do we even know what the coloration of a male/female is? I know that in some deep water angles, there is a major color difference between male/female. I saw my Bellus angle change from female to male in my tank before I could get a male for her. The male has yellish coloring while the female has blue. So could this be a similar occurence?

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2012, 11:21 AM   #56
chgoblknazn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Old Shellback View Post
I think you guys missed what ech72 is talking about. If you go back to page two and look at his pictures, his adult fish has lost it's black color from 2010 to 2012.

The 2010 and 2011 picturs show a healty colored fish. The 2012 picture shows his has lost the black in it's fins.

Could it be that the fish is changing to the other sex? Do we even know what the coloration of a male/female is? I know that in some deep water angles, there is a major color difference between male/female. I saw my Bellus angle change from female to male in my tank before I could get a male for her. The male has yellish coloring while the female has blue. So could this be a similar occurence?
You're right. It looks as if the fins are losing their black. I totally missed that.

Unread 12/20/2012, 11:55 AM   #57
eho72
Registered Member

I am not sure if my fish even reached adult coloration yet? Definitely, it is changing color. All of the fish in my tank is super healthy so I cannot think of anything that could trigger the change. I am hoping it is just a normal process of changing from one stage to another. It will be interesting to see what the fish looks like a year from now. The reason why I think it has not fully reached the adult stage is that the gold flake on the body is not prominent yet, which is a sign of still stuck in the juvenile stage. Anyone with a gold flake angel that has it from the beginning to reaching full adult that could provide info would be great.

eho72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2012, 12:07 PM   #58
Winwood
Registered Member

Check out John Coppolino's trimaculatum/xanthopunctatum hybrid feautured in this Reefkeeping article. It's under the 60 gallon mixed reef section towards the bottom. There are definitely some similarities. It's not a dead ringer but with hybrids you are going to get some variation.
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

Winwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2012, 12:34 PM   #59
eho72
Registered Member

Wow, those are some gorgeous fish from Copp's aquarium. His goldflake does show some of the similarities to the one I have such as the tail being mostly yellow instead of black and the gold being not as prominent as seen in adult goldflakes. The reason why I am hesitating to call it a hybrid is because a year or two ago, the fish shows no sign of being a hybrid whatsover. Mouth is completely blue, tail is dark black. Nothing says flagfin/goldflake hybrid at that point.

eho72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2012, 12:58 PM   #60
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

This is what is confusing. Your pictures labled '10 and '11 show an adult goldlake, but the '12 picture shows something different, hence me thinking it may be changing sex.

But you are calling the earlier pictures Juvi and that it is changing into an adult now. My Goldflake was an adult when I got him at about 4". I had him for 3+ years and he never changed his color. He's the one in the pic I posted. Black fins, bright gold flakes on the body and blue lips.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2012, 01:02 PM   #61
chgoblknazn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eho72 View Post
Wow, those are some gorgeous fish from Copp's aquarium. His goldflake does show some of the similarities to the one I have such as the tail being mostly yellow instead of black and the gold being not as prominent as seen in adult goldflakes. The reason why I am hesitating to call it a hybrid is because a year or two ago, the fish shows no sign of being a hybrid whatsover. Mouth is completely blue, tail is dark black. Nothing says flagfin/goldflake hybrid at that point.
You are also correct. Interesting finds here. I'll have to keep an eye on mine and document the growth via photos often.

Unread 11/02/2014, 10:22 AM   #62
MBC2012
life gets better daily

eho72 - do you have any updated pics?

MBC2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2014, 09:04 PM   #63
d-man
Registered Member

Mine ate any new acans and scoly. The ones that were in there first were left alone. He left my zoas and sps alone as well. I was really fortunate....until after a year, he just died one night. I have no idea how

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2014, 01:11 PM   #64
Aqua Adam 1998
Registered Member

angelfish

Angels are hit or miss some wont nip others will

Aqua Adam 1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 01:04 PM   #65
Lmax8rn
Registered Member

I have one and I had to pull out all 5 of my acan colonies shortly after adding it. It also nips at SOME of my zoas and lobos. Other than that, hasn't bothered anything else.

Lmax8rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 08:10 PM   #66
Spslvr
Registered Member

Bought this guy in oct last year

And now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2017, 04:11 PM   #67
Lmax8rn
Registered Member

I have a large goldflake, about 5 1/2 to 6 inches. It started in on my acans and lobo almo immediately regardless of frequent feeding. I pulled out the acans and lobo, I like the angel better, but she has not picked on any LPS, SPS, or zoas. I think she may have snacked a tiny bit on my green button palys, but I don't really care if she eats those, more of a pest IMO.

Lmax8rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2017, 11:48 AM   #68
Dromon
Registered Member

Is everything people discussing here applicable to other Apolemichthys angelfish like Flagfins & Cream angels as well? Kinda like the way all Genicanthus are grouped together when discussing coral eating.

Dromon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2017, 06:38 PM   #69
Spslvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromon View Post
Is everything people discussing here applicable to other Apolemichthys angelfish like Flagfins & Cream angels as well? Kinda like the way all Genicanthus are grouped together when discussing coral eating.
I have a cream angel about 4 inches hes a model citizen in terms of reef safe but he definitely rules the roost with the other fish

Spslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 05:25 PM   #70
amardipmarway89
Registered Member

So I picked up a lovely little goldflake 3 days ago, its about an inch and a half..doing well and feeding on pellets, mysis and some frozen brine. Feeding about 3 times a day, however mine has literally taken a liking to SPS only!

The odd thing is that all sps now seem to close up shop during the day and @ lights out they open up the polyps! Not sure if this is gonna effect their growth though? The weird thing is that it only seems to nip on the sps that have brown polyps..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

amardipmarway89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 05:34 PM   #71
chgoblknazn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amardipmarway89 View Post
So I picked up a lovely little goldflake 3 days ago, its about an inch and a half..doing well and feeding on pellets, mysis and some frozen brine. Feeding about 3 times a day, however mine has literally taken a liking to SPS only!

The odd thing is that all sps now seem to close up shop during the day and @ lights out they open up the polyps! Not sure if this is gonna effect their growth though? The weird thing is that it only seems to nip on the sps that have brown polyps..

This is exactly what happened to me with my Goldflakes and my Joculator. My SPS would stay closed and I rarely saw him nibbling.....but eventually they were all busted.

Unread 06/26/2017, 05:51 PM   #72
amardipmarway89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chgoblknazn View Post
This is exactly what happened to me with my Goldflakes and my Joculator. My SPS would stay closed and I rarely saw him nibbling.....but eventually they were all busted.
Haha no way, yours only went for sps too? The benefit is that the only sps mine is going for are small frags, not the two large colonies I have..

So I'm thinking to use this as an opportunity to observe exactly which type of sps it likes and refrain from buying any of those again.. not sure if this tactic would work as I'm still in the midst of stocking up on corals..

amardipmarway89 is offline   Reply With Quote