Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/10/2015, 03:05 PM   #1
Pico1
Registered Member

Radion Gen 4 Pro

Are these in the works? I've been following your annual January releases like people do with the iPhone. Thanks!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 170
Pico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2015, 09:04 PM   #2
Prosurfer413
Registered Member

I hope so. I would definitely consider getting a couple for my basement frag project

B.P. Go * urselves!

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon, G2 Radion xr30w, Biowheel 350. 1 mel. Wrasse, 2 clowns (1or/1blk), 1 coral hopper halwk fish, 1 christmas goby, 1 lawnmower blenny, assortment of SPS , LPS & clams
Prosurfer413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2015, 09:52 PM   #3
unze
Registered Member

Hopefully not, can't see the point.

unze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2015, 04:19 PM   #4
alton
Registered Member

LEDs are still being improved every six months why not place the best and improved into a product

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2015, 04:34 PM   #5
Pico1
Registered Member

Unze is just upset his radions might be outdated soon

Alton is on the same page I am. Leds and associated technology is rapidly improving, as is our research on their use in aquariums. Efficiency, output, spectral diversity, color ratios, etc. can always be improved. I'm looking forward to see what advancements this innovative company has come up with for the next generation.

Unread 01/11/2015, 08:31 PM   #6
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico1 View Post
Unze is just upset his radions might be outdated soon

Alton is on the same page I am. Leds and associated technology is rapidly improving, as is our research on their use in aquariums. Efficiency, output, spectral diversity, color ratios, etc. can always be improved. I'm looking forward to see what advancements this innovative company has come up with for the next generation.
I'm more than happy with the technology I'm using now Jordan

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2015, 10:33 PM   #7
Pico1
Registered Member

Mark, I'm more than happy with my iPhone 6, but that don't mean I don't want the iPhone 7 :P

Unread 01/12/2015, 12:58 AM   #8
unze
Registered Member

Quote:
LEDs are still being improved every six months why not place the best and improved into a product
Not really improving by much, Manufactures are more finding ways to reduce cost.

unze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2015, 10:49 AM   #9
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Quote:
Mark, I'm more than happy with my iPhone 6, but that don't mean I don't want the iPhone 7 :P
Nope.

Ran halides for 10 years and had decent success while others set up and broke down tanks. Rather have sustained success, rather than newest technology. I guess I'll never be a #ReefHipster.

c.) Why chase numbers?
Unread 01/13/2015, 03:27 PM   #10
Pico1
Registered Member

Oh Mark, you sound old and tired. I remember a time when you used to have the first and best of everything!

Ecotech, still wondering if this is in the works, whether anyone else cares or not!

Unread 01/13/2015, 04:33 PM   #11
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Quote:
Oh Mark, you sound old and tired. I remember a time when you used to have the first and best of everything!
I don't remember that Jordan. I always remember buying proven products. Corals and fish are different, but I guess I'm getting old when I've seen you break down a few tanks

Oh. And the Gen3 Pro's are the best. *cough*

c.) Why chase numbers?
Unread 01/13/2015, 05:34 PM   #12
Pico1
Registered Member

To each his own. You are a dad who craves stability, but back in the day you were the first person I knew to get an iPhone when they came out or a tunze 6055 when they came out. For me at such a young age, breaking down tanks and setting up new ones were a small sacrifice to open a new door...moving to el dorado hills with my family, then working for Monterey bay aquarium/living in Carmel, and now dental hygiene school. Probably will have to take my current one down when I get married next year. Maybe then I'll have the luxury to keep the same tank for awhile like you. Mature tanks like yours look very distinguished and beautiful. Not saying the gen 3 pro's aren't the best...for now. After all, my xr15w pro's came stock with gen 3 pro pucks.

Unread 01/17/2015, 10:40 AM   #13
nashorn
Registered Member

Wait till I buy a 3 pro and 3 weeks later it will be out.
It's clockwork happen with my G1 G2 .....lol

nashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2015, 10:33 PM   #14
Eastamherstbias
Registered Member

I am sure the R & D side is constantly working on improvements and cost reductions. There is always something to improve on and tweak.

Unread 01/21/2015, 09:13 PM   #15
IUfan
Registered Member

The intensities don't need to be improved.

Maybe improve the spectrum slightly.

But the next advancement I would like to see is improved efficiency, reduced Wattage.

Don't get me wrong, you can beat LEDs for efficiency, but maybe could be improved upon.

IUfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2015, 07:12 PM   #16
ChrisKirkland
Reef and Coral Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashorn View Post
Wait till I buy a 3 pro and 3 weeks later it will be out.
It's clockwork happen with my G1 G2 .....lol
The Gen 3 came out Feb 4th so I will wait till mid feb to get 3 additional radions.

Reef Nerd.

Current Tank Info: Getting back into the hobby.
ChrisKirkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2015, 10:28 PM   #17
nashorn
Registered Member

Saw the latest Kessil and it's wifi and Bluetooth ready so hope the new Radion will be the same. But that won't happen until I buy a buy a reef link.....lol
Looks more like a Radion housing then the typical Kessil shape.

nashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2015, 07:09 AM   #18
Pny
Registered Member

The Radion gen3 was announced in January 2014, and the G1 and G2 was announced in September 2011 and 2012. Since no new Radion LED generation was announced in January this year, we might have to wait until September? They probably wait with the announcement until after I upgrade my gen1 Radion... ;-)

Pny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 09:10 AM   #19
Lakelivin
Registered Member

Like my iPhone I usually upgrade every other upgrade. I have Gen 3's so when the Gen 5's come out I will seriously consider upgrading depending on what improvements are made. However, because I finally have found a "happy place" for my reef inhabitants with the Gen 3's I will not be in a hurry to run out and replace what is already working for me. If your tank is happy it's not generally a good idea to start making changes to something as important as lighting.

Lakelivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2015, 08:53 PM   #20
fredro
Registered Member

Like someone said before, intensity is good, spectrum could possibly benefit from improvement, but what I am looking for is something that's in dire need of improving.... SPREAD! If EcoTech could pioneer a new lens that somehow cuts down on the universal issue of shadowing and poor spread, they could pioneer the industry, again.

fredro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2015, 06:45 AM   #21
Wazzel
Registered Member

From what I am seeing as a Hydra user and having seen many Radion tanks the only real issue left to over come is spread. Break those 2 large pucks into many smaller puck and spread them out. Some other manufacturers are taking that approach with stand alone diodes, but IMO clusters do a better job of blending the colors together.

Making a suggestion based on what I use, busting the Hydra 52 - 4 pucks into 9 "half pucks" and spreading them out in a square fixture would be great from a coverage standing. ETM could do something similar with the 2 giant pucks and make 9 small pucks of equivalent or greater output.

I suspect there is some manufacturing cost for retooling the form factor that might make a shape change cost prohibitive for both ETM and AI at this time.

Beware the light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes it's a train.

Current Tank Info: 120, LED, Bare Bottom, SPS/LPS
Wazzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2015, 06:47 AM   #22
Wazzel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredro View Post
Like someone said before, intensity is good, spectrum could possibly benefit from improvement, but what I am looking for is something that's in dire need of improving.... SPREAD! If EcoTech could pioneer a new lens that somehow cuts down on the universal issue of shadowing and poor spread, they could pioneer the industry, again.
A lens will not cut it. The light still originates from a point and travels in a line.

The answers is to either change the geometry of the fixture to spread the diodes or fire them up into a reflector. Just a guess, but I think just spreading them would do the job in the most straightforward manner.

Unread 05/16/2015, 10:43 AM   #23
zachogden
Registered Member

it will be interesting to see what they update on the units for sure. currently holding out on upgrading my gen2's until the 4's are eventually announced. as others have said, i'm wondering if they'll shift from the current "puck" style to something else, or if they'll pack in some more LEDs of varying spectra and call it a day.

zachogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2015, 12:21 PM   #24
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzel View Post
A lens will not cut it.The light still originates from a point and travels in a line.

The answers is to either change the geometry of the fixture to spread the diodes or fire them up into a reflector. Just a guess, but I think just spreading them would do the job in the most straightforward manner.
What is a MH lamp?
A single point source of light.

Ever seen a Kessil?
I had one. The Kessil I had was the closest I've ever seen an LED light appear to be a metal halide lamp. Because all of the LED's were under a single lens, it became in effect, a single point source of light.

I prefer my Gen 1 Radions to the Kessil which is why I still have them and not the Kessil. But if EcoTech could make each Radion puck into what is essentially a mini MH lamp with a lens, I would do whatever it took to get 3 of them.

Unread 05/16/2015, 03:44 PM   #25
Wazzel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxII View Post
What is a MH lamp?
A single point source of light.

Ever seen a Kessil?
I had one. The Kessil I had was the closest I've ever seen an LED light appear to be a metal halide lamp. Because all of the LED's were under a single lens, it became in effect, a single point source of light.

I prefer my Gen 1 Radions to the Kessil which is why I still have them and not the Kessil. But if EcoTech could make each Radion puck into what is essentially a mini MH lamp with a lens, I would do whatever it took to get 3 of them.
Mh radiated light in 360 degrees the upper half if redirected with the reflector to make coverage. LED units like the Hydra, Radion and Kessil are like mh with out a reflector.

I have not seen a Kessil in person, not sure how they would be better, I actually thing they would be worse since the light is all from one point.

I don't think making a lens like you suggest would solve the coverage issues.