Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/17/2015, 12:39 AM   #26
Pny
Registered Member

The coverage/spread issue can be solved using a DIY diffuser plate close to the water under the LED. You lose some light but get a lot more diffuse light from any angle also reducing the self shadowing that is the problem with direct lightning.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pny_s120-2631b900.jpg (105.6 KB, 1340 views)
Pny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2015, 11:07 AM   #27
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzel View Post
Mh radiated light in 360 degrees the upper half if redirected with the reflector to make coverage. LED units like the Hydra, Radion and Kessil are like mh with out a reflector.

I have not seen a Kessil in person, not sure how they would be better, I actually thing they would be worse since the light is all from one point.

I don't think making a lens like you suggest would solve the coverage issues.

I think you missed my point.

MH bulbs are a single point source of light. Just like an LED.
Where LED's are different is that they are smaller and require multiple LED's to light up a reef tank. So instead of one single point source of light, you have multiple point sources of light. This results in the disco ball effect that is seen over many LED lit tanks. You'd get the same sort of thing if you had very narrow angle reflectors covering multiple MH's bulbs of different kelvin ratings.

What the Kessil lights do is place all of the LED's under a single large lens which does a very effective job of making all of the single point sources of light, (the LED's themselves) act as one single point source of light, like a MH bulb.

Hope that makes sense.

Unread 05/17/2015, 12:27 PM   #28
Wazzel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxII View Post
I think you missed my point.

MH bulbs are a single point source of light. Just like an LED.
Where LED's are different is that they are smaller and require multiple LED's to light up a reef tank. So instead of one single point source of light, you have multiple point sources of light. This results in the disco ball effect that is seen over many LED lit tanks. You'd get the same sort of thing if you had very narrow angle reflectors covering multiple MH's bulbs of different kelvin ratings.

What the Kessil lights do is place all of the LED's under a single large lens which does a very effective job of making all of the single point sources of light, (the LED's themselves) act as one single point source of light, like a MH bulb.

Hope that makes sense.
I understand that all just fine. Bringing the diode together like the Kessil unit will make coverage worse, not better. Unlike Mh you do not have the reflectors catching and redirecting the light from the 360 degree point source. LED is a 180 degree point sources. With out reflectors Mh would preform similar to LED from a coverage standpoint. To make up for not being able to utilize the extra light via reflector you need more spread from the sources, not less.

Beware the light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes it's a train.

Current Tank Info: 120, LED, Bare Bottom, SPS/LPS
Wazzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2015, 01:04 PM   #29
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

My experience with the Kessil A350 Tuna Blue was that it replaced an SE 250 watt Phoenix 14K bulb in a Sunlight Supply Lumen Max 2 reflector over a 40 breeder.

Growth was about the same, coverage was about the same with a slight edge going to the Kessil.

Unread 06/01/2015, 11:02 AM   #30
rovster
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashorn View Post
Wait till I buy a 3 pro and 3 weeks later it will be out.
It's clockwork happen with my G1 G2 .....lol
I will one up you. I bought my 3 Radions when they were it. G1. My build got delayed and the new gens came out. Before hanging them I upgraded to Pros. By the time my tank was wet the G3's were out

I'm super happy with my G2 Pros however, not even remotely tempted to upgrade, LOL!

rovster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2015, 09:12 AM   #31
carlos danger
Registered Member

Wow! Gen 4's already! It seems like yesterday they released the gen 3's. I need one more light. Maybe I'll wait it out and wait for the newest greatest version.

carlos danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2015, 11:42 AM   #32
LiquidCache
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos danger View Post
Wow! Gen 4's already! It seems like yesterday they released the gen 3's. I need one more light. Maybe I'll wait it out and wait for the newest greatest version.

I think you missed the point of this thread..

LiquidCache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2015, 06:57 AM   #33
Chris155hp
Registered Member

Hopefully at Macna this year we'll see a new generation

Chris155hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2015, 08:58 PM   #34
Piranha_Owns
Registered Member

Bump, any news ?

Piranha_Owns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2015, 10:12 PM   #35
carlos danger
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidCache View Post
I think you missed the point of this thread..
Thanks Professor Liquid Cache. I'll try to do my homework next time so I can get a better grade. Reading the whole thread with no feedback and comment on mine. Thats deep. Good work. I'l

carlos danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2015, 07:30 PM   #36
emedock
Registered Member

Now with the 10% off everywhere online it's really tempting to get a gen 3 radion pro. But are they 10% off because the gen 4s are just around the corner?

emedock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2015, 12:10 AM   #37
Pny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emedock View Post
Now with the 10% off everywhere online it's really tempting to get a gen 3 radion pro. But are they 10% off because the gen 4s are just around the corner?
If you want the latest and greatest its probably a good idea to wait another month (week?) to see if a new Radion gen 4 is realeased...

Pny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2015, 02:27 AM   #38
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

I sent 2 of my Gen 1 Radions back to Eco-Tech to be upgraded to Gen 3's, (not the Gen 3 Pro's). Hopefully, I'll be able to send my last Gen 1 Radion to them to upgrade as well.

After reading here on the boards and speaking with Eco-Tech customer service, I couldnt see the benefit to upgrading to Gen 3 Pro's for my 120 (48x24x24).

I'm curious about the possible release of a Gen 4 light and whether or not it will bring a significant increase in capability to the table for the money. Much like computers, keeping up on the cutting edge of technology will cost a significant amount of money.

However, the increase in performance from the previous versions are usually not necessary for the vast majority of users, and the roll out of the newest version usually lowers the price on the previous versions. This allows people to spend less money and purchase a quality product that will most likely suit their needs.

Just my thoughts on this.....and I'm no rocket surgeon.

Unread 09/01/2015, 02:35 PM   #39
emedock
Registered Member

Thats what i was thinking... I almost pulled the trigger on the Gen 3 at 10% off but then i was thinking the 4 might be coming out in September

Unread 09/01/2015, 02:35 PM   #40
emedock
Registered Member

fingers crossed!

Unread 09/24/2015, 08:26 AM   #41
fredro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emedock View Post
Thats what i was thinking... I almost pulled the trigger on the Gen 3 at 10% off but then i was thinking the 4 might be coming out in September

Well, September is almost over and it looks like the Vectra M/L1 was the only showpiece at Macna this year, so I think it's safe to say the G4 Radion is gonna be a little down the road.

Current Tank Info: 80g Deep Blue RR
fredro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2015, 11:43 AM   #42
reefwiser
Registered Member

I asked this question at MACNA. An there is no current plan to upgrade to version 4 yet.

September 23rd,2017 11 am till 3pm
Saint Thomas Fellowship hall,9616 Westport Road,Louisvi
reefwiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2015, 12:40 PM   #43
flanole
Registered Member

Can't believe I am saying this, but I am glad to hear there is no Gen 4 in the near future. I just bought the upgrade kit to go from Gen 2 to Gen 3 Pro for three fixtures.

flanole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2015, 09:22 AM   #44
danrobberg
Registered Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the next version was a complete redesign. Maybe that's why it's taking longer. They may have gone as far as they can with the current design and want to do a complete reboot. For those that say they won't do that to their customers who would want to upgrade older versions to the 4, look what Apple did with the iPhone 5. How many millions of iphone ports were in the world then all of the suddon none of them would work with the new lightning Jack or whatever it is called. I le the idea of spreading the diodes out into smaller clusters. This is why I chose a ghl Mitras over the radion.

danrobberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2015, 05:41 AM   #45
Rwelsh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrobberg View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the next version was a complete redesign. Maybe that's why it's taking longer. They may have gone as far as they can with the current design and want to do a complete reboot. For those that say they won't do that to their customers who would want to upgrade older versions to the 4, look what Apple did with the iPhone 5. How many millions of iphone ports were in the world then all of the suddon none of them would work with the new lightning Jack or whatever it is called. I le the idea of spreading the diodes out into smaller clusters. This is why I chose a ghl Mitras over the radion.
Apple did have converter ports though so very few products where actually worthless

IF ecotech do go with redesign of the product, i expect at least the powersupply to be the same and therefore being able to buy a cheaper upgrade if needed.
That being said though, it would screw over lots of people who have been expecting this as ecotech has made it a bit of a standard to be able to upgrade products to newer versions. They would risk loosing customers if they did this as many stick with ecotech because they are already use ecotech products, if they need to fork out a brand new unit instead of an upgrade they might think twice.

Rwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2015, 08:15 AM   #46
reefer roman
Registered Member

I spoke with ecotech last week and they told me that they could no longer upgrade the current radion lighting. It has reached it's final point at Gen 3 pros. There is not another upgrade coming for the light in the current platform. They would not confirm or deny that there is a new light in the making. I would think since they have purchased Ai that they would try to utilize both companies technology to ''reinvent'' the platform by which both companies use.

reefer roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2015, 01:25 PM   #47
shingo43
Registered Member

I hope G4 will have wifi compatibility, who doesn't have wifi now.

shingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2016, 01:04 PM   #48
Rwelsh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer roman View Post
I spoke with ecotech last week and they told me that they could no longer upgrade the current radion lighting. It has reached it's final point at Gen 3 pros..
Anyone from ecotech care to confirm this? That Gen3 pro is the last one of the series and wont be upgradable?

I find it strange that someone from ecotech would tell you that without it being public knowledge yet. Are you sure you undersood them correctly?

Rwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2016, 10:46 PM   #49
brainchild24
Registered Member

+1

I would also like to hear if there is a new platform ecotech will release as I am in the middle of a rebuild, and the last thing on the list are my lighting options.

Current Tank Info: 250gallon deep dimension, Ecotech Radion G4 Pro, SRO XP5000, 3*MP40wQD
brainchild24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2016, 12:38 PM   #50
Wombat_101
Reefer

Well marine depot is listing the XR30w pro as discontinued so looks like a new model should be coming soon. They do not list the XR30w non-pro as discontinued though. I will hold off until another month to see what happens.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...&child=EM58491

Wombat_101 is offline   Reply With Quote