Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/05/2016, 11:48 AM   #1
jcs11236
Registered Member

Vectra/Apex confirmation

Can we get a confirmation once and for all that the Vectra will not be compatible with apex ever. There's tons of members including myself that have not jumped on buying new return pumps because we don't know any status on the compatibility as of yet.
Let us know so we can decide either we get Vectra and reef link or move on to a apex ready return pumps.
Thank you

jcs11236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2016, 12:45 PM   #2
Zwickm
Registered Member

Doesn't it connect via the WXM?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Zwickm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2016, 12:57 PM   #3
jcs11236
Registered Member

No. It is not compatible at all.

Unread 05/07/2016, 09:43 AM   #4
bobbravo2
Reef Addict

This is pure speculation, but I think the lack of compatibility may be because N*ptune is going to release their own line of return pumps this year.

Current Tank Info: 65 Gallon | Radion Pro G3 | MP40 | MP10 | Apex | Jaebo DC9000 | KNOP Calcium Reactor | Mated Picasso Clowns | Mix of LPS, SPS and Softies
bobbravo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2016, 12:26 AM   #5
kodo28
Registered Member

I've been running my Reefer actually with 3 Radions, 2 MP40QD & Vectra M1...I bough two weeks ago an Apex system, I knew that the Vectra was "still" not able to connect to the Apex system.
But this was not an argument to stop me to buy the Apex system...
At the end what Ecotech will push me to do if meantime the Vectra is still not compatible with Apex system until they release their new pump it is exactly to go to the Neptune pump and resell the vectra.
So not sure which strategy Ecotech is following but for sure not the best one for their customers...

kodo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2016, 04:57 AM   #6
bobbravo2
Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodo28 View Post
I've been running my Reefer actually with 3 Radions, 2 MP40QD & Vectra M1...I bough two weeks ago an Apex system, I knew that the Vectra was "still" not able to connect to the Apex system.

But this was not an argument to stop me to buy the Apex system...

At the end what Ecotech will push me to do if meantime the Vectra is still not compatible with Apex system until they release their new pump it is exactly to go to the Neptune pump and resell the vectra.

So not sure which strategy Ecotech is following but for sure not the best one for their customers...

Well said. Any word from Ecotech?

Current Tank Info: 65 Gallon | Radion Pro G3 | MP40 | MP10 | Apex | Jaebo DC9000 | KNOP Calcium Reactor | Mated Picasso Clowns | Mix of LPS, SPS and Softies
bobbravo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2016, 11:19 AM   #7
davehead86
Registered Member

Its a great business strategy to have all of the Ecotech stuff work off the ESL app and interface. Especially since APEX is now putting out competing products.

There is such a small niche of people who are willing to drop the cash on Ecotech and then on APEX. That this WMX thing seems like such a moot point in the business sense, or that it would affect more than a small percentage of their customers.

No one says anything when Ford has their own infotainment system and Chevy has a different one its the same concept. You still end up with a completely controllable aquarium through your phone. There is just an extra app to work with.

Current Tank: 65 Gallon Mixed Reef| 40B Sump| 2 Radion Gen 3's| 2 MP10wes| Vectra M1 | Reefkeeper Lite
davehead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2016, 12:21 PM   #8
jimbow
Registered Member

I have the Apex and I have an L1 pump (also have the Radion lights). I just run the pump and lights off the reeflink. It works fine. I have the pump plugged into the apex so if I need to shut it off the Apex does that.

I will say that if the ESL and reeflink intends to compete with Apex, I think they have a ways to go. For the past 6 months I've only had one time where the Apex quit communicating for some reason. It lasted for about and hour then reconnected.

On the other hand, every time I try to use the ESL/reeflink it is not connected and goes into offline mode. The first couple of times I spent an hour trying to figure out how to get it to connect. You need to juggle the chipmunks while facing north (true north not magnetic north). It is much faster now but I need to unplug and reconnect the reeflink. It then reboots or something and starts working. This is irritating but not insurmountable while I'm home but I travel and often access my Apex while on the road to adjust and check things. I'd be very unhappy if the ESL was my interface to anything I needed to change often.

jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2016, 10:20 PM   #9
JakeGr
Registered Member

I'm with ya. I'd like to purchase a Vectra, but I won't before it is compatible with WXM/Apex.

JakeGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2016, 03:46 AM   #10
jcs11236
Registered Member

I would prefer to run Vectra together with my wxm/apex. Don't feel the need to go out and buy the reef link and have a whole separate app/etc

I will wait patiently to see if they make them compatible. If they were smart they would make the compatibility before the Cor is released because once it is, there is no more waiting for Vectra. Lol

Unread 05/11/2016, 05:44 AM   #11
roblk
Registered Member

No problem for me i'll just wait until Neptune comes out with their COR pump I would buy a Vectra pump today if it communicated with my Apex through the WXM module. So basically what EcoTech did in my case is lost a sale, not a great business strategy in my opinion must be that sales are really good and they can afford to loose sales rather than make their product compatible with a competitor. Really glad Apex hasn't taken the same attitude and started eliminating (or limiting) communication capability with their competitors.

roblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2016, 07:08 AM   #12
NYCEnglish
Registered Member

I'm in the same boat as many others. I'd buy the Vectra today if it worked with my Apex, I'm very happy with my 3 Vortechs and two Radions, Ecotech makes quality products.

As it stands I'll wait until the Neptune Cor is released or possibly even look at the new Apex compatible Reef Octopus pumps.

NYCEnglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2016, 11:35 AM   #13
jduck
Registered Member

I bought the vectras and replaced reeflo hammerhead and 2 mags, now I just use the controller instead of a valve to control flow. Would like to have the use of the rest of the options.

Unread 05/22/2016, 01:41 AM   #14
chercm
Registered Member

Tim from Ecotech mentioned during the interview that it allow 3rd party integration

3rd party controllers – With legions of WXM modules out in the world, it will be no problem for the Vectra to communicate with third party controllers such as the Apex. This feature won’t be seen quite at the launch of the Vectra pump but it should follow suit fairly shortly after Ecotech actually starts catching up with orders and the actual production of the Vectra pumps.

i think Tim is thinking to allow vectra support in the year 2050 when we all are DUMB . hahaha

chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2016, 06:50 AM   #15
wings516
Registered Member

This would be nice to know since I have 5 Vectra L1's in the plans currently and if Ecotech won't play nicely with Apex... Maybe this is an Apex question since Ecotech wants to put more in the ditch than they are taking out.

wings516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2016, 11:41 AM   #16
jcs11236
Registered Member

According to Apex forums administration, it's not in their hands. They ready whenever Ecotech is

Unread 05/26/2016, 04:49 PM   #17
chercm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs11236 View Post
According to Apex forums administration, it's not in their hands. They ready whenever Ecotech is
seems that the game is getting interesting as Aquatronica might be announcing the Ecotech module and able to control the Vectra

Unread 06/09/2016, 08:46 AM   #18
Joeb1983
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs11236 View Post

First off, I love both companies; but being in the same boat I'd like a little more details.

Anyways, I recently purchased EcoTech's Vectra M1.

Neptune's WXM module is controlling my MP40's. (MFD's 2011-2013)

Honestly, I was pretty stumped that the Vectra (2016) can not be controlled via Apex's EcoTech pump controller given the Vectra is manufactured by EcoTech and it is indeed a pump.

So, I gave Neptune a call to inquire:

I was told, "We are waiting for EcoTech to play ball"...

Is this is an attempt to push ReefLink, something else or is there an actual interface issue?

Usually when things are tight lipped, things are in work/development.

Obviously, all of us with Apex's (arguably the juggernaut of aquarium control) and Vectra's would like to have this feature. (I know I sure would)

From what I gather it is/has been in the works, but no real progression updates with most things ending with the ball is in EcoTech's court. (no pun intended)

But, there are always two sides to a story and these are two pretty big names in the industry... EcoTech?

Last edited by Joeb1983; 06/09/2016 at 09:02 AM.
Joeb1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2016, 02:42 PM   #19
Joeb1983
Registered Member

EcoTech?

Unread 07/25/2016, 07:43 AM   #20
chercm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeb1983 View Post
First off, I love both companies; but being in the same boat I'd like a little more details.

Anyways, I recently purchased EcoTech's Vectra M1.

Neptune's WXM module is controlling my MP40's. (MFD's 2011-2013)

Honestly, I was pretty stumped that the Vectra (2016) can not be controlled via Apex's EcoTech pump controller given the Vectra is manufactured by EcoTech and it is indeed a pump.

So, I gave Neptune a call to inquire:

I was told, "We are waiting for EcoTech to play ball"...

Is this is an attempt to push ReefLink, something else or is there an actual interface issue?

Usually when things are tight lipped, things are in work/development.

Obviously, all of us with Apex's (arguably the juggernaut of aquarium control) and Vectra's would like to have this feature. (I know I sure would)

From what I gather it is/has been in the works, but no real progression updates with most things ending with the ball is in EcoTech's court. (no pun intended)

But, there are always two sides to a story and these are two pretty big names in the industry... EcoTech?

maybe by the time Vectra 2 is out then they will consider lol

Unread 07/25/2016, 08:43 PM   #21
Joeb1983
Registered Member

Seems like they are avoiding answering this question like the plague...

Unread 07/25/2016, 09:01 PM   #22
fcmatt
Registered Member

I am a bit confused. Why doesn't N*ptune just reverse engineer the pump and figure out how to control it and not wait for ecotech? The interface to the pump cannot be terribly complicated. How is it much different then a MP40?

Just curious. I do not know all the details.

fcmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2016, 09:27 PM   #23
Breadman03
New Old School

Ecotech's software is legally protected. Neptune could certainly hack their software, but doing so would create legal issues as well as damage their reputation as a company.

I looked at the situation and spoke with both companies at MACNA 2015. From what was said and what was not said, I bought a Red Dragon pump.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2016, 09:58 PM   #24
Joeb1983
Registered Member

I've read countless forums and threads in regards to this and I have it yet to this day seen a direct reply from ecotech.

If I place the Vectra in feed mode via the controller, it also initiates feed mode on my MP40's w/ "upgraded" QD drivers.

If I initiate feed mode via my MP40's the Vectra is not effected however and remains at speed.

That's the main reason why I would like Apex controlabilty...

Obviously, I can turn the Vectra on/off via the relayed outlet, but we know how turning your return pump off goes. (I like the slow flow feed mode)

Anyways, not the end of the world by any means, but I would like to hear from ecotech even if it's "it will never be controlled via WXM" just so I/we know.

Just like Breadman03, many have opted to purchase a different pump over the Vectra for this simple reason alone.

All in all I am happy with my Vectra and am thankful I was lucky enough to not get a loud or hot one like others unfortunately have.

I sent them an email as well in regards to this, but no reply to date.

Maybe I will call and see if I can get an answer tomorrow...

Unread 07/26/2016, 07:41 AM   #25
chercm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeb1983 View Post
I've read countless forums and threads in regards to this and I have it yet to this day seen a direct reply from ecotech.

If I place the Vectra in feed mode via the controller, it also initiates feed mode on my MP40's w/ "upgraded" QD drivers.

If I initiate feed mode via my MP40's the Vectra is not effected however and remains at speed.

That's the main reason why I would like Apex controlabilty...

Obviously, I can turn the Vectra on/off via the relayed outlet, but we know how turning your return pump off goes. (I like the slow flow feed mode)

Anyways, not the end of the world by any means, but I would like to hear from ecotech even if it's "it will never be controlled via WXM" just so I/we know.

Just like Breadman03, many have opted to purchase a different pump over the Vectra for this simple reason alone.

All in all I am happy with my Vectra and am thankful I was lucky enough to not get a loud or hot one like others unfortunately have.

I sent them an email as well in regards to this, but no reply to date.

Maybe I will call and see if I can get an answer tomorrow...
thanks for helping but i would think they are going to play kicking ball again .