Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/16/2016, 09:29 PM   #351
Babydaull
Registered Member

oh lastly I am using carbon in my reactor as well.

Babydaull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2016, 12:24 PM   #352
ReefWreak
Registered Member

RSCP and tissue recession? Sounds to me like your alkalinity is through the roof. A common complaint when using RSCP. It's fine if you don't dose, and have high uptake, but if you don't have high uptake or are dosing 2 part, your alk can go crazy. Let us know what the tests show.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2016, 11:42 PM   #353
Babydaull
Registered Member

Ill be so PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
RSCP and tissue recession? Sounds to me like your alkalinity is through the roof. A common complaint when using RSCP. It's fine if you don't dose, and have high uptake, but if you don't have high uptake or are dosing 2 part, your alk can go crazy. Let us know what the tests show.
Gosh nooooo, when I started using RSCP I just assumed that I could stop checking my ALK CA AND MG because I didn't know they could get too high. I bet that's what the problem is.

The other problem that probably didn't help is my nitrates were at 30 and I did a 5 gallon change two nights ago. so nitrates were through the roof.

you guys think between the two of these things, this is what has been giving me problems?

time to do some water changes and maybe change up my salt?

Unread 11/18/2016, 12:30 AM   #354
Javeii
Registered Member

Hey Lucas, just to add on, I also started a 20g nuvo about 2 months ago and in my haste to get sparkly parameters like all the guys on this forum I was adding the aquavitro buffer to raise my pH up from 8. I lost my first coral, a torch, just like you are losing yours. To my surprise after testing my water at the lfs, my alkalinity and Ca was through the roof and I was using ocean water that I would buy from the shop. So high alks from ignorantly adding buffer was my problem starting off. I think reefwreak is right in his assessment. I picked up a titration kit and now am keeping a very close eyes on those previously overlooked params

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Javeii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2016, 12:34 AM   #355
Javeii
Registered Member

Also, one of the guys that's been helping me along advised me to start with the regular redsea salt, since I wanted to mix my own, and upgrade to Coral pro when the tank was more matured and with more corals present to use up the higher additive concentrations

Unread 11/18/2016, 06:33 AM   #356
CorbinSawyer
Registered Member

This may seem counterintuitive to what you're trying to accomplish, but if I may, it seems you may need to slow down a bit. I've been reading your thread and it goes from one thing to another very rapidly without allowing time for the tank to settle in (so it seems). I'd hold off on more corals for a bit, wait on vodka dosing, wait on adding nutrients for growth and color. You may want to check if your refractometer is calibrated correctly also. If you decide to change ur salt you'll need to do it gradually. Even changing your filtration with shock your system

There are many opinions in this hobby so feel free to ignore mine. Others may not feel the same. Good luck tho. I hit a rough patch last March with velvet and felt defeated for a bit. You'll get through tho

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CorbinSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2016, 12:18 PM   #357
Javeii
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinSawyer View Post
This may seem counterintuitive to what you're trying to accomplish, but if I may, it seems you may need to slow down a bit. I've been reading your thread and it goes from one thing to another very rapidly without allowing time for the tank to settle in (so it seems). I'd hold off on more corals for a bit, wait on vodka dosing, wait on adding nutrients for growth and color. You may want to check if your refractometer is calibrated correctly also. If you decide to change ur salt you'll need to do it gradually. Even changing your filtration with shock your system

There are many opinions in this hobby so feel free to ignore mine. Others may not feel the same. Good luck tho. I hit a rough patch last March with velvet and felt defeated for a bit. You'll get through tho

I got this very same piece of advice starting off, especially after my buffer incident at around week 2. Seems to be working so far.

My tank as of 5 minutes ago, currently on week 7:

Unread 11/21/2016, 08:42 AM   #358
Babydaull
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinSawyer View Post

Definitely taking in every opinion I can! Yeah with school and work being at an all time high right now I am definitely going to slow down. Maybe buy some softies to have things grow that aren't as hard to keep. Thanks for all the advice. And just so everyone know I do like 10% off what I ask on here. A lot of it is just random questions haha. But I am going to slow down for a while.
Thanks again

Unread 11/21/2016, 08:44 AM   #359
Babydaull
Registered Member

Parameters

So I checked my water Parameters the other day and weirdly my alkalinity wasn't high. It was 8.1. But my nitrates were at 40. So I did a 5 gallon water change the other night and I plan on doing one tonight and probably Tuesday. I need to get my nitrates back down to below 10.

Unread 11/22/2016, 01:05 PM   #360
Babydaull
Registered Member

Nitrate

I did a water change the other night and got my water tested last night.
Everything was decent but nitrates were still at 20. ill be doing another water change soon.

also a question.
Has anyone ever had an experience with the RO water from Walmart? has anyone ever tested it for tds?

Ill be asking for a RO/DI system for Christmas.

Unread 11/22/2016, 02:13 PM   #361
Raintree
Registered Member

What's your plan to manage nitrates in the future? Water changes are a band-aid, you will need to address the source of the nitrates and a way to export or reduce nitrate proactively before it is able to creep up to a high level

Raintree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2016, 03:19 PM   #362
Babydaull
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raintree View Post
What's your plan to manage nitrates in the future? Water changes are a band-aid, you will need to address the source of the nitrates and a way to export or reduce nitrate proactively before it is able to creep up to a high level
wouldn't the source of my nitrates be the fact that I didn't do a water for like 5-6 weeks?

It could also be my ro water. right now I am buying ro water from walmart. I would not be surprised at all if that's where my nitrates are coming from.

I am getting a skimmer up and running.

does it get to a point where your nitrates stay normal and you don't have to do water changes?

Unread 11/22/2016, 03:54 PM   #363
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babydaull View Post
wouldn't the source of my nitrates be the fact that I didn't do a water for like 5-6 weeks?

Sorta. It's husbandry related as much as water changes (which just fix issues with husbandry. That's why I can go 2-3 months without a water change.
Quote:
It could also be my ro water. right now I am buying ro water from walmart. I would not be surprised at all if that's where my nitrates are coming from.
Maybe, I've seen those have moderate TDS amounts, but usually it's not the water source.

Quote:
I am getting a skimmer up and running.

does it get to a point where your nitrates stay normal and you don't have to do water changes?
Skimmer is good. Yes, I don't get nitrates, despite feeding pretty moderately. It comes with tank maturity, aquarist maturity, and skimming. I think my Marinepure block helps, and vodka helped keep nitrates down for me the last year or so, and when I set the tank up, I set it up with a refugium, which helped. Food = Nitrate + Phosphate. You need to find a way to remove the inputs from food and keep the system balanced.

Unread 11/27/2016, 09:05 AM   #364
Babydaull
Registered Member

Update

Pretty much the same as the last one. I did another 5 gallon water and I am getting my water checked tonight. I hope my nitrates are under 10. I did receive my brand new mp10wQD in the mail so i cant wait to set that up and then I am getting the 4 stage RO/DI plus unit from BRS for christmas so that will help tremendously.

Unread 11/27/2016, 09:06 AM   #365
Babydaull
Registered Member

My uncle who was in town has a 75 gallon reef tank and he took the two frogspawns off my hands to give them a better place to live for a little bit. I might however try some softies, just to keep things basic

Unread 11/27/2016, 09:46 AM   #366
Lilmatty5dimes
Moved On

Who's checking your parameters?

Lilmatty5dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2016, 08:43 PM   #367
ReefWreak
Registered Member

It also occurred to me this morning reading your comments, do you have your own test kits? I'd often trust my own test kits primarily, and then if I was getting wonky results, then I'd go to the LFS. One of the LFS I used to visit in south FL used to just use the dip stick tests, which were terrible/inaccurate for salt water, knowing full well that it was saltwater.

I'd pick up a good set of salifert test kits for nitrate, alkalinity, and calcium, if you don't have them already. Then if you're having issues, I'd reach out to the LFS to double check (ideally with a higher-end test kit).

Unread 11/28/2016, 01:44 AM   #368
Babydaull
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmatty5dimes View Post
Who's checking your parameters?
I take my water to petco to have them test nitrates, that's it

Unread 11/28/2016, 01:45 AM   #369
Babydaull
Registered Member

Quote:
It also occurred to me this morning reading your comments, do you have your own test kits? I'd often trust my own test kits primarily, and then if I was getting wonky results, then I'd go to the LFS. One of the LFS I used to visit in south FL used to just use the dip stick tests, which were terrible/inaccurate for salt water, knowing full well that it was saltwater.

I'd pick up a good set of salifert test kits for nitrate, alkalinity, and calcium, if you don't have them already. Then if you're having issues, I'd reach out to the LFS to double check (ideally with a higher-end test kit).
I have a Red Sea test kit for Alk Ca and Mg.
I have my own refractometer
But I do have petco test my nitrates, they just have this dip stick.
So that's bad I'm guessing

Unread 11/28/2016, 10:37 AM   #370
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Yea, go buy a Salifert, or even API nitrate test kit. Dip sticks are terrible.

I guess when I tell people that alkalinity and calcium are the two most important things to check, I'm overlooking the basics like salinity, nitrates, and to a lesser extent, pH (really, for pH to be a problem, you have to have some major issues with the other parameters, so I still say meh to pH).

Unread 11/28/2016, 12:11 PM   #371
Babydaull
Registered Member

Quote:
Yea, go buy a Salifert, or even API nitrate test kit. Dip sticks are terrible.

I guess when I tell people that alkalinity and calcium are the two most important things to check, I'm overlooking the basics like salinity, nitrates, and to a lesser extent, pH (really, for pH to be a problem, you have to have some major issues with the other parameters, so I still say meh to pH).
I think I'll probably buy an API nitrate test kit, I think you had said at an earlier point in my thread that is really all you need for nitrates

Unread 11/30/2016, 10:52 PM   #372
Babydaull
Registered Member

installed the mp10 tonight, I am going to do a water change and most likely just buy an API kit for nitrates!

Unread 01/07/2017, 02:03 AM   #373
Babydaull
Registered Member

I'm back

I will still be pretty busy until March, but the busiest part of my job is over. I want to dive head first into the salt water world again. I now have a 4 stage RO/DI System set up and I have been doing water changes left and right. It is really sad to say this but all corals have died and my flame tail blenny died as well. Currently I have my GBTA and my clown fish pair. I have thought very deep on whether to just take down my tank because I have no time or to try an easier going route and give it one last hoorah.
Here are my plans...
Replace the flame tail blenny with a yasha goby and shrimp pair.
All equipment "knock on wood" is good to go.
In terms of coral. I want to do some recordia mushrooms and maybe a green toadstool. One or two torches, one or two hammer and if those go well I wouldn't mind having a some stylophora at some point. Also want to try out some acans. And these plans will go into affect one I get can control my nitrates

As always, I am willing to listen to any opinion and hopefully from here on out, this will be the start on a trend for my tank.
Thanks guys!

Unread 01/27/2017, 10:09 PM   #374
Babydaull
Registered Member

Good news

Tank is going well, nitrates are staying down and water changes are super easy with having a brs rodi system. I got a new haul of corals and in, they love the tank so far and it is nice to have a decent looking tank again. pictures and update will be posted soon!

Unread 03/28/2017, 09:29 PM   #375
Babydaull
Registered Member

Update

Hey guys its been awhile. It has been going really well. nitrates are low. corals are alive and thriving. I even picked up a diamondback goby who keeps my sand bed crystal clean.
Work is slowing down and I am looking to be on here more often! I plan on posting some pictures soon. I am excited to see a lot of 10 gallon and 20 gallon nuvo fusions on here. hopefully my thread can help others!

Tags
20 gallon, innovative marine, nano, nuvo fusion, reef tank