Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/28/2017, 05:47 PM   #1
Soccernut5824
Registered Member

UPGRADE! 25 Gallon Cube!

When the Summer hits I will be moving my tank and in the process of moving I will be upgrading a bit from my current CADlights 12g AIO to a 25g cube 18x18x18, drilling it and running a sump below. The biggest reason I want to upgrade it is to add more water volume and I’m simply not satisfied how my AIO tank is running. I’m still in the process of planning and wanted to share it on here to make sure I’m planning everything correctly.

So far this is what equipment list I have come up with,

Tank - 25g frameless cube 18x18x18 (Marineland)
Sump –found a 24”x12”x13.5” sump on the local buy/sell page so I will be using that (picking up tomorrow)
Skimmer – Reef Octopus Classic 110SSS 5" Internal Space Saving Protein Skimmer
Light – AI Prime (already own)
In tank flow- MP10QD
ATO- Smart Nano ATO (already own)
Reservoir – 5-gallon glass tank. Would like a 10 gallon in the future where the budget allows.

Return – Eheim Compact+ Pump 3000 (396-793 GPH) I will be dialing back the return to give me roughly the same rate as whichever overflow I choose. Down the road I will be looking to add a couple reactors so I will plumb ports into the return line for that as well. I’m going with a larger return pump than needed for a couple reasons the first being so I can add extras to the return line like a phos/GFO reactor, Kalk, or Carbon reactor. The second reason is when the time comes to upgrade the display in the future again (2 years), I will have a return that can handle the added flow rate.

Overflow – still in the process of deciding which kit is the best. Iv heard great thigs about glass holes but I’m not sure if I like their price or how thin they are. Seems tough to get the plumbing on the inside. Its been a while since if had an overflow and I would like it to be as silent as I can get it. I don’t want to hear the water draining or the water falling over the overflow box.

Plumbing – for the drain I would like to use 1” PVC and for the return since the Eheim pump has a ¾’ outlet I will be using ¾’ PVC. I will not be using flexible tubing because I want to have OCD like organized plumbing laid out in a very specific way. Im alright if I compromise some flow from my return.

Inside the new tank
I really like my current rock work in the 12g and I think it will look super cool once some Acros, Montis and a few other SPS corals grow out on the top of it. I’ve decided I will be using the same rock structure in the new tank but I will also be adding a smaller rock island for LPS and Zoas in the front open space. I like a sand bottom so I will be using a 1in sand bottom in the new tank.

Questions or things I am unsure of right now
1. Can I use the existing sand bed? I have some algae problems in the 12g and I don’t want to transfer algae from the sane but if I use a portion of the sand from my current sand and add it to new sand will that aid in the biological filtration process with no negative effects.
2. Refugium- I am not planning on having one at this time. Would it be better if I added or re-did the sump to allow room for a refugium? I want a clean looking sump.
3. Return – Is it in my best interest to have two return holes in the tank rather than just one and then centralizing my overflow in the tank?
4. Overflow – I’m looking for any pictures of DIY overflows and overflows that have been installed on a tank. Also looking for suggestions for a well-built overflow that is as silent as possible.
5. Adding additional rock – before I’m ready to move the tank would it be better to put the new rock into the 12g where ever I can get it to fit and start to seed it from the 12 or is it fine just putting it in the new tank when the time comes to transfer over?

Like I said this is the very early stages of the planning for this move/upgrade any suggestions or tips that would make my new tank more stable and easily maintained (yes, I understand there is no such thing as a low-maintenance reef tank, but I would like everything to be planned out to make my husbandry as easily as possible.)

current stand built for a larger tank right from the start
I will be removing the sheet and adding siding to the stand eventually.
 photo 8A5EF024-ACA1-443D-86A2-5F2CE8E1F8D3_zpsudq9gdmi.jpg

12g AIO this shows the rock would that will be in the new tank as well
 photo 1F54540B-4A01-4980-B210-C7B05030F49F_zpssbmzjp3q.jpg

Here is a top down view of how the rock will be in the new tank. The blue is the current rock and where the island will be in the front left corner. I wanted to keep all the rock 2in away from the glass for cleaning purposes and to help with flow.
 photo B5A804B0-F3F0-4A9E-B9F6-27D4E03E9673_zpscpyjmfmh.jpg

Sketch up of the inside of the stand where everything will be. Its all to scale each square = 1"
 photo 2D090CB5-ACCA-4D9C-8206-771B29E8A6C7_zpspnnmqtwk.jpg

This shows the inside of the stand the outlined areas are where the sump will be and the ATO tank.
 photo 39B075B4-6734-4714-858C-3DD6944F78E3_zpsjoj3trqf.jpg

Sump as is right now.
 photo 17622052_10154488511018634_1492421636459744668_o_zpsrtu0dplb.jpg

Current Tank Info: It's getting there
Soccernut5824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 08:41 AM   #2
imjdoggie
Registered Member

Looks like you have a good plan, cant wait to see end result.

imjdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 08:47 AM   #3
thelawnwrangler
Registered Member

Are you going to leave power supply on the ground? I am always scared about that. I am probably overly cautious though and why I went with all in one.

Love the tank

thelawnwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 07:44 AM   #4
Soccernut5824
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelawnwrangler View Post
Are you going to leave power supply on the ground? I am always scared about that. I am probably overly cautious though and why I went with all in one.

Love the tank
No, I just have it on the ground right now because no water gets under the stand with my current tank being an AIO. It eventually will be mounted on the side in the front right of the stand (as far away from the drain line and splashing as possible) I will also have all of my wires clean and organized and hopefully out of the way of anything.

Unread 03/30/2017, 08:01 AM   #5
Jenyphur
Registered Member

I love that rock! Looks like a good plan...I never thought the planning part was much fun but as I get older I actually really enjoy it.

Jenyphur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 11:48 AM   #6
Soccernut5824
Registered Member

Quick update, Iv decided I will go with the glass holes overflow, the 700gph model with a lid to keep unwanted living things out. After much reading and looking around online it appears that is the best option for good results at a decent price. Still debating if I want 2 returns or not tho. Right now I'm leaning towards 2 returns with the overflow centered in the tank.

I did pick up the sump yesterday. When I have some time in the next few weeks I will be cleaning it out running a leak test and modifying it slightly to fit my needs better. I still haven't finalized how I want each compartment. It's an acrylic sump so adding additional baffles will be a breeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenyphur View Post
I love that rock! Looks like a good plan...I never thought the planning part was much fun but as I get older I actually really enjoy it.

Thanks! I really enjoy the planning part too, I think it's because I can play with all the different options out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 04/06/2017, 11:55 AM   #7
Soccernut5824
Registered Member

Discovered the Eshopps eclipse S internal overflow box and am liking that it is only 100 bucks and has an emergency drain (something glass holes does not have) it also appears that you are able to adjust the plumbing inside the external portion of the box to get a silent drain. I'm considering this option now as well.

Unread 04/19/2017, 04:37 PM   #8
Soccernut5824
Registered Member

Tank has been ordered! I should be able to pick it up tomorrow or Friday! I ordered the Eshopps eclipse S today as well and should have that in a few days planning on drilling everything Sunday or Monday if I have time otherwise Tuesday will be the big day.

Received a few items from BRS today. Glass drill, bulk head, return pump, and heater.

I should have double checked the length of the heater because it's ever so slightly longer than my sump is wise but I got it to fit diagonal in the last compartment with the return pump.

I'll check back with more updates next week!

Unread 04/20/2017, 02:04 PM   #9
Soccernut5824
Registered Member

This gets me excited!!

Rocks should fit nice too!

Unread 04/20/2017, 02:31 PM   #10
MrDemonicAngel
Registered Member

nice concise plan. looking forward to seeing updates.

MrDemonicAngel is offline   Reply With Quote