Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/22/2004, 05:54 PM   #26
DJPB
Premium Member

Best of luck with him. It is a great fish and it sounds like he is getting comfortable now in his new home. You must post pics of him asap!

I understand that you shop at the Abyss. Maybe one day we can meet up there.

Paul

DJPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2004, 10:17 PM   #27
Jerry W
Registered Member

Interesting thread. I've always been intrigued by regals but have stayed away from them for all the typical reasons. I would urge you, however, not to measure success with these fish in months or even a year or two. Please check out my thread in the FO/Aggressive forum entitled "sad day." It certainly was a cold slap in the face to me.

Current Tank Info: 37 gal; pair of mocha clowns, ywg and tiger pistol shrimp
Jerry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2004, 04:09 AM   #28
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Good point, Jerry. I was hoping to hear of more long term successes with the "Regal". {I was also hoping to hear they like to eat Xenia!}

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2004, 10:16 AM   #29
DJPB
Premium Member

Jerry your post is extremely sad. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Blue Face Angels are such beautiful fish. I agree with you that success in keeping any fish is measured in multiple years. I started this thread so that members could swap info and hopefully gain an advantage in keeping Regals. Maybe this will improve our chances of keeping this fish long term. But like you said, a fish can go at any time for no apparent reason.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
{I was also hoping to hear they like to eat Xenia!}
Gary I was hoping for the same thing with my Regal. So far he only has a small taste for GSP and the smaller zoos, which is good too...

Unread 06/23/2004, 10:24 AM   #30
moonpod
Premium Member

Gary, my orange spot rabbitfish picks at Xenia. Not a lawnmower, but certainly enough to "**** off" the Xenia.

Current Tank Info: 32" Leemar starfire cube now empty and not quite so stinky
moonpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2004, 01:26 PM   #31
Mondavi
Registered Member

Well I have had a few of them over the years and three things I have figured out.
1. Get them small. The ones that are 5+ inches seem to have a real hard time in captivity. Same with alot of angles that come out of the wild. Also make sure its eating something before you buy it.
2. Live Rock. So it can pick at the rock and feel more at home.
3. Third is risky for your main tank but I never QT such a sensitive fish. Most of our QT tanks are just barebones fish like Regals dont do well in them.
I have had one for around 2+ years ( R S) and the other for about 9months now (I O). Both are pigs and hold thier own in my angle tank.

Mondavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2004, 11:42 PM   #32
lacie143
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DJPB
Me too. Especially with a fish as delicate as a regal. I think it does best going into a reef asap. I do like to leave new fish in the LFS for at least 2 weeks though...

as do i
i have lost more fish to a QT than i ever did to ick or any other disease. The QT/Hospital tanks at my work are affectionatly refered to as death tanks by the employees

lacie143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2004, 01:53 PM   #33
copps
Premium Member

Excellent thread. My Red Sea regal angel is the star of the show in my sps system. I looked for months at every specimen that came in to a local retailer/wholesaler that gets shipments direct, and saw many that refused to eat or showed interest without feeding much. I saw mine attacking Formula 1 right in front of me and took him home for just $85. I had moved all of my zoanthids to my other system in preparation, with just a few left behind on live rock here and there. Included besides sps in the system are clams (maxima, crocea, squamosa, derasa, and as of today gigas thanks to RM), many ricordia, and two fungias. I was a little unsure of the fungia as they are pretty meaty and tempting, but all was left alone. Interestingly, within hours of being in the tank he had picked clean every zoanthid in the tank, which was welcomed.

I have had him now for a few months and he is a spoiled pig. He shares the tank with among other things a group of about 10 yellow-lined cardinals (Apogon cyanosoma) who are like little tuna, so he gets fed right from the turkey baster large meaty foods and some preparations bound with gel. He gets noticably excited when I feed squid and really attacks the baster interestingly. He's not at all aggresive, unlike my cardinals who beat the **** out of each other sometimes, with one completely loosing an eye a few days ago... anyway seperate subject. Right now for the time being he's in my 65, but by December (if all goes right with the home builder) my 180 will go back up for him in the new house to grace until my big boy goes up in about 3 years (500 gallon range). I'd love to eventually get a pair breeding like this guy .

Here's a few pics of my baby... these are arguably the most beautiful fish in the ocean...

A side view looking down the tank with him...

A closeup of him with one of my male cardinals with a mouth full of eggs...

Lastly hom cruising the reef...

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.
Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only
copps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2004, 06:39 AM   #34
reeflover2
Registered Member

I just got my first regal angel. It was a the LFS for 3 days before I brought him home. The LFS is not very disease free so I thought it would be better for the fish if I quarantined him. I made sure it would eat before I left though. I have had it since Sunday and is still doing well. He eats flake food, mysis shrimp, mega marine angel and dried seaweed. The only concern I have with it is a few white marks on his tail fin. There are no other marks on the fish and they have seemed to be just going away. Any suggestions? What temp do you keep your tank at? Is it true that they need a tank temp abovve 80? How long do you think I should keep him in quarantine? I have lots of live rock in the tank for hiding places.

reeflover2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2004, 09:06 AM   #35
massman
Marine Fish Wrangler

DJPB thats a beautiful regal you have congrats. as a side note it is interesting that your indian ocean variety has a coloration that is normally associated with pacific ocean specimens. yours as thet grey/blue chest whilst those of moonpod's and copps' have the yellow chest which is the "true" indian ocean/red sea colouration. nonetheless a beautiful fish.

massman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2004, 08:32 PM   #36
DJPB
Premium Member

I was thinking the same thing the first time I saw him in the LFS. They told me it was an Indian Ocean specimen and I took their word for it. For all I know it could be a Pacific Regal. I'm just happy he is healthy and eating well...

Unread 07/26/2004, 12:14 PM   #37
Tremelle
Registered Member

If you like Regal Angels, you must pick up the new Angelfishes and Butterflyfishes by Scott Michael. It has the best info on the fish I have read. It also has the most awesome photos of the Regal, with color variants also. Amazon has it for $15.

Tremelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2004, 01:29 PM   #38
copps
Premium Member

Great news... I am seeing it now for $30.57 on sale. Is the $15 maybe the amount you are saving you referred to? Thanks in advance and I'm ready to purchase this great book... I have the first volume which includes anthias, but is the second volume worth it? Either way I'm shooting for this volume first...

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only
Unread 07/26/2004, 01:44 PM   #39
copps
Premium Member

Just thought I'd add two recent images taken by a local buddy when visiting my tank. You could see the regal fighting it out for some plankton from the turkey baster. Thanks Andrii for the pictures!

Unread 07/26/2004, 02:48 PM   #40
seabreeze
Registered Member

I've been reading this forum, and I must admit that I am very surprised to hear that this particular fish as not disturbed any of your coral. On the other hand, how is it towards invertabrates/crustaceans?(this is one fish I would like to introduce to my tank!

seabreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2004, 03:06 PM   #41
copps
Premium Member

Speaking for myself, I have no hermit crabs, just snails in this particular tank. I also have a peppermint hogfish in this system, so no shrimp anyway for me.

It should be no surprise that regals don't bother sps corals. However, I would be surprised if somebody is able to keep zoanthids with theirs.

As with many things in this hobby mixing certain angels with certain "corals" is a risk, but if properly researched it's a CALCULATED risk. As I mentioned before, I removed all the zoanthids I could to another system before adding the regal after reading how they loved zoanthids. This was a good idea as all the remaining ones were quickly picked clean (with the exception of parazoanthus yellow polyps). All of my clams remain as happy as clams.

I'm curious, for those of you with regals, what have they eaten and what have they left alone?

For me...

Eaten: Zoanthids

Left alone: sps, all five species of T. clams, ricordia (yuma and florida), fungia, parazoanthus (yellow polyps)

Unread 07/26/2004, 06:48 PM   #42
moonpod
Premium Member

Massacred: zoos

Ignored: sps, parazoos, palys, clams, ricordia

Unread 07/26/2004, 07:18 PM   #43
Baalz
Registered Member

I just picked up this Regal the other day. So far its not eaten much. Munched on some nori I think. He is in a 40g grow out attached to a larger system. This tank is full of zoo frags, sps, lps, clam, some xenia etc. Its been only two or three days and he hasnt touched nothing yet.
He is sort of on probation to see what he eats before he goes into main system. I want him to eat zoos only. If not he is up for sale. Hard to tell by pick but he about 5" and blue chested

Baalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2004, 07:44 PM   #44
mr294
Registered Member

A few pictures of my regal which will have been with me for a year this August. He hasn't bothered anything except an open brain and the few zoanthids I had.

Current Tank Info: None at the moment
mr294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2004, 07:15 AM   #45
dvmsn
Registered Member

Here is a regal angel I got about two months ago. He is a very hardy eater. Unfortunately, he has taken an interest in my Caulastrea (Candy Cane) corals. So far he does not bother a closed brain, clam, green finger, zoos, torch, or various sps corals

Last edited by dvmsn; 07/27/2004 at 07:27 AM.
dvmsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2004, 05:14 AM   #46
kungen
Registered Member

I had mine for 2 days only. He was fairly big. He ate both frozen mysis and artemia right from the start.

After 2 days I couldn't find him anywhere in my tank... on day 3 my H.Magnifica anenome spit out alot of bones. I couldn't believe it, but somehow the anenome managed to swallow my Regal whole! (

kungen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2004, 03:09 PM   #47
tobasdad
Moved On

Anyone have one eating that they want to get rid of, look no further. Definitely want one, but my LFS never has them.

tobasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2004, 03:14 PM   #48
copps
Premium Member

tobasdad, I was very close to ordering mine from www.themarinecenter.com until finding a nice specimen eating well as described before at the local distributor. While that site is on the expensive side, they have a great reputation for sending only healthy eating regals. They either have them in stock or are not far away from receiving some too. This is the next best alternative aside from seeing one healthy and eating in person. I have also had excellent results ordering through liveaquaria.com, but they seldomly stock regals.

Hope that helps...

Unread 07/28/2004, 11:34 PM   #49
moonpod
Premium Member

tobasdad, go to house of fins in Greenwich, which I know is $$$, but if they have an eating Regal in....

Unread 07/29/2004, 03:08 AM   #50
Jerry W
Registered Member

The responses have all been from those keeping this fish in a reef setting. Is anyone keeping one in a FOWLR? I'm wondering what the drawbacks, if any, would be to this type of set up.

Current Tank Info: 37 gal; pair of mocha clowns, ywg and tiger pistol shrimp
Jerry W is offline   Reply With Quote