Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/21/2017, 04:27 PM   #1
mcbaes72
-Aidan's Daddy.

Review - AquaMaxx Magnus DC Pumps

AquaMaxx Magnus has three model DC pumps: VSG-6000 (1580 GPH @ 50w), VSR-9000 (2370 GPH @ 85w), and VSB-12000 (3170 GPH @ 150w). This is for the VSG-6000. Pretty much copy/paste of my review on Marine Depot with several changes. Wanted to pass on the info on a great product.

PROS
So many positive features: inexpensive for the GPH performance, low energy consumption, controllable pump speed, internal or external application, and finally, it's extremely quiet so you can sleep peacefully at night.

CONS
Hmm...I'll have to think of some negatives, let's see: it's not free, didn't come with two pumps in the box, doesn't setup and install all by itself either...haha! But really, only serious con is more of personal preference, would've been nice to show the GPH speed on the controller. That's it.

REVIEW
In setting up my 250 Gal tank, I went through three pump brands: Panworld (absolutely the noisiest of them all, got rid of it after only a few days), Iwaki (less noisy, but still loud enough to be heard in upstairs bedroom, still too loud), and finally AquaMaxx (near silent operation). Once plugged in, hit the power button to increase speed. First impression, is this working? I had to feel the pump to make sure it's on. Even at the fastest setting, there's minimal vibration and sound, you seriously have to put your ear close to the pump to faintly hear a low motor sound. AquaMaxx's claim of decibel operation mostly above human hearing is true, the running water from overflow draining into the sump (which isn't loud) is all I can hear now in my living room.

I ended up going submersible in the return area of my sump. I felt it was an easier setup with less pvc piping, no union fittings, ball valves, etc. like how the first two external pumps were setup. Simpler, more direct connections to returns, and less chance for leaks. You can even adjust the pump speed via control panel (there's even a feeding mode, pump shuts off for 10 min., then auto restarts) and easy swap out for maintenance or replacement in a few years (let's hope it lasts that long).

Overall, I highly recommend this pump! It's very cost-effective, low energy output compared to the other pumps I tried, and the most important feature...it's super quiet operation makes this a worthwhile purchase. I believe you'll be happy with this brand/model pump, too.

NOTE: I added a slip-on strainer which made it slightly more audible. Hardly noticeable, but worth mentioning. Also, includes a small clip to hang controller, but I used velcro to secure it on side of the sump instead.

Link to VSG-6000 pump

mcbaes72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 12:35 PM   #2
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

it would be interesting to see how these pumps do long term. How long have you had it running?

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 03:45 PM   #3
mcbaes72
-Aidan's Daddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
it would be interesting to see how these pumps do long term. How long have you had it running?
Same here, hope it runs for many years before replacement. My old Iwaki ran 9+ years before I sold it along with old tank setup. I had this new pump since August 10th. Found out about AquaMaxx Magnus through Marine Depot's product video on YouTube.

Wish I bought this the first time, could've saved the hassle of all the external plumbing plus shipping back two other pumps due to extremely loud noise levels. If behind a wall, outside house, or in a basement, Panworld and Iwaki noise would probably be tolerable. But inside the house (living room), waaay too loud, could hear it in my bedroom upstairs.

https://youtu.be/CXll8BeSPtY

Unread 10/02/2017, 01:06 PM   #4
ggdowski
Registered Member

I bought one of VSR-9000s. They are very quiet. Seem to run well. I'm not sure what I am getting for flow rate. I think I have about 12' of total head on the pump (from basement to top of tank on 1rst floor). I'm guessing I am in the 600g/hr range. That was a little disappointing because I was trying to get about 900 g/hr. I think I somehow did a slight calculation error either in total head or in converting from l/h. In retrospect, I would have liked to have bought the VSR-12000. I could have easily powered it down or diverted water to a refugium.

ggdowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 04:07 PM   #5
mcbaes72
-Aidan's Daddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggdowski View Post
I bought one of VSR-9000s. They are very quiet. Seem to run well. I'm not sure what I am getting for flow rate. I think I have about 12' of total head on the pump (from basement to top of tank on 1rst floor). I'm guessing I am in the 600g/hr range. That was a little disappointing because I was trying to get about 900 g/hr. I think I somehow did a slight calculation error either in total head or in converting from l/h. In retrospect, I would have liked to have bought the VSR-12000. I could have easily powered it down or diverted water to a refugium.
Have you reached out to AquaMaxx? They should have an idea of your estimated flow rate.

Unread 10/05/2017, 05:08 PM   #6
ggdowski
Registered Member

No. I think I’m going to buy a Neptune flow sensor to see where I’m at. That will help me figure out if I need something bigger and more importantly how much bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 10/06/2017, 08:39 AM   #7
mcbaes72
-Aidan's Daddy.

Good idea. If you do, feel free to post results. I think it'd be helpful to others considering this pump.

Unread 10/24/2017, 03:30 PM   #8
mcbaes72
-Aidan's Daddy.

UPDATE: It's been about two months since install. A couple of issues to mention.

1) DC Pump seems to have gotten a little louder, speed level is third highest setting. With slip-on strainer (not included), does add some noise, but gets slightly less audible when I remove it. Still waaay more quiet than first two pumps I bought, but not near silent as before when I first installed it.

2) The feeding feature that shuts off pump for 10 minutes (then automatically restarts) doesn't work anymore. Not a big deal since I was hardly using the feature. But still, two months with minimal use and it's already non-functional now? Unacceptable!

I may contact manufacturer about little increase in noise level and feeding feature not working, but haven't yet.

Unread 10/24/2017, 04:29 PM   #9
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Curious on whether the pump adds any heat to make the tank run warmer?

Unread 10/24/2017, 04:30 PM   #10
LQT
Registered Member

I would definitely contact them for warranty purposes. Be interested to see how well they stand behind their product.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2017, 09:14 AM   #11
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Smile AquaMaxx Magnus DC Pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbaes72 View Post
UPDATE: It's been about two months since install. A couple of issues to mention.

1) DC Pump seems to have gotten a little louder, speed level is third highest setting. With slip-on strainer (not included), does add some noise, but gets slightly less audible when I remove it. Still waaay more quiet than first two pumps I bought, but not near silent as before when I first installed it.

2) The feeding feature that shuts off pump for 10 minutes (then automatically restarts) doesn't work anymore. Not a big deal since I was hardly using the feature. But still, two months with minimal use and it's already non-functional now? Unacceptable!

I may contact manufacturer about little increase in noise level and feeding feature not working, but haven't yet.
If you purchased the pump from Marine Depot, please give us a call at 1-800-566-FISH or email customercare@marinedepot.com. We can probably swap out the controller which should quiet the pump (updated firmware) and fix the feeding feature (or lack thereof).

Jeff @ Marine Depot

MarineDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2017, 07:33 AM   #12
ggdowski
Registered Member

Reporting back on my original post and review on this pump. I'm very dissatisfied with this pump and feel there is a bit of faulty advertising. I have at best about 13 of height with only one 90 turn. I have only one 3" horizontal section (needed to go over the tank top). Even in the worst case scenario -- I was expecting about 2000 lph in that scenario (about 528 gph). I'm getting half that with the Neptune 1" flowmeter. 278 GPH. To calibrate... if you back calculate from their graph. That translates to 1058 lph. On their graph, that would correspond to 5.5m of head (about 18 feet). I might believe that if I were pumping to a second floor. This is extremely disappointing.

Last edited by ggdowski; 10/29/2017 at 07:45 AM.
Unread 10/29/2017, 07:43 AM   #13
ggdowski
Registered Member

Interestingly, I can no longer sign on to my Marine Depot account after posting a negative comment on this pump.

Unread 10/29/2017, 07:30 PM   #14
SBV
Registered Member

Quote:
Interestingly, I can no longer sign on to my Marine Depot account after posting a negative comment on this pump.
Wow. That’s Very sad. That’s why I don’t buy from them anymore. Gheez.

Current Tank Info: 120 LPS RR, 40 gal. fuge
SBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 11:56 AM   #15
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
We don't have a mechanism to lock users out of their accounts.

I private messaged you the name of the customer service manager on duty. He has read this thread and is eager to help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBV View Post
Wow. That’s Very sad. That’s why I don’t buy from them anymore. Gheez.
Let's chat. Give me a call at 714-385-0080 x688 or send an email to marketingmanager@marinedepot.com.

Jeff @ Marine Depot

MarineDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 03:06 PM   #16
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

@ggdowski, it would be great to hear if MD helped to resolve the issue.

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 03:14 PM   #17
ggdowski
Registered Member

I called. Not sure what they can really help with. I just don’t think these are very good for basement sumps. I may replumb to get more of a straight shot. I don’t think I will get much more than 400GPH out of this pump at 12 feet or so. That’s not really all that useful for a basement application. Will try to log on to my MD account again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 10/30/2017, 04:58 PM   #18
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Reporting back on my original post and review on this pump. I'm very dissatisfied with this pump and feel there is a bit of faulty advertising. I have at best about 13 of height with only one 90 turn. I have only one 3" horizontal section (needed to go over the tank top). Even in the worst case scenario -- I was expecting about 2000 lph in that scenario (about 528 gph). I'm getting half that with the Neptune 1" flowmeter. 278 GPH. To calibrate... if you back calculate from their graph. That translates to 1058 lph. On their graph, that would correspond to 5.5m of head (about 18 feet). I might believe that if I were pumping to a second floor. This is extremely disappointing.
I have always said that people would be very disappointed if they really knew how many GPH their return pumps were really doing.

I know you said 12-13" of height but most have at the very least 5' of head in a normal tank set-up. You having to pump from the basement should have an additional 9-10' (8'-9' ceiling + another foot for floor joist) unless your basement has a really low height. Only been in one in my life since they are very rare in California so excuse me if 9-10 feet is not normal. Also does the water just pour in after that 90 going over top or is there another 90 or two to get it back down. What size is your plumbing becasue I am showing that the output is 1.25". That flow meter is most certainly adding head pressure to the pump. Probably not much buy who knows? These are all things that add head. You might be closer to 16-17' withe everything added up.

The literature states that the Max head is 18' so it shouldn't pump anything after that height.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 07:29 PM   #19
ggdowski
Registered Member

Yup. 5 feet from the floor. 7.5ft ceiling in basement, with sump about 1 foot from floor. 60s house. One 90. About 4 45s to get it to the sump. Output from the pump is a 3/4”. Never would have thought I was at 18 but that is what it now looks like. I may replumb the inlet so that the pump is directly under the tank with a straight shot upward. If I was at 450GPH I would have just given it a try. But 280 won’t cut it for a Triton system. I think I may be in the market for a different pump.

Unread 10/31/2017, 07:50 PM   #20
ggdowski
Registered Member

Another quick followup. MarineDepot has been in touch with me several times and we are working towards a great outcome. I'm very grateful. I'm going to try one of the Aquamaxx VSG 12000 pumps in place of the Aquamaxx Magnus 9000. It will take a few weeks to make this exchange since the larger pump is not currently in stock.

For the record, I was given the option of upgrading to any larger pump. It came down to the Ecotech Vectra L1 and the Aquamaxx VSG 12000. When you look at the important specs (GPH, max head, and watts) they are identical. I know the 9000 model does not add heat to my tank. In some ways, I wish it did because I have to use my heater quite a bit. I'm told the L1 adds heat.

The choice was based on the fact that the L1 is not Apex ready. I figured if I was going to end up turning it off and on with an apex outlet -- I might as well save the $150 and get the Aquamaxx.

I will give another update once I make this transition -- again it will take a number of weeks.

Also... I was able to log on to my MD account. I have 3 emails and I tried two at the time of writing that post (Saturday or Sunday). I probably should have taken a deep breath and just called them the next day. Clearly, my error.

Unread 11/01/2017, 09:23 PM   #21
bezlar
Registered Member

I just got the 6000 to run couple things in my system. Hoping for complete silence. I redid my sump and used a sicce sdc pump for my main tank and 40 gallon breeder and it makes a loud low hum from my garage cause that’s where sump is. I hate it. So hoping that the sun pole is quite and I’ll just run 2 of them.

bezlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2017, 08:24 AM   #22
ksed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezlar View Post
I just got the 6000 to run couple things in my system. Hoping for complete silence. I redid my sump and used a sicce sdc pump for my main tank and 40 gallon breeder and it makes a loud low hum from my garage cause that’s where sump is. I hate it. So hoping that the sun pole is quite and I’ll just run 2 of them.

Is it vibrating up against something? Also is it hard plumbed?

ksed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2017, 08:26 AM   #23
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

One thing to remember with DC pumps --- they do NOT do well with head pressure --
unless you are willing to get a Red Dragon or Abyzz pump.
Generation 1 on many pumps did not last --ask me how I know--

Unread 11/02/2017, 10:16 AM   #24
bezlar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksed View Post
Is it vibrating up against something? Also is it hard plumbed?

Not up against anything 1 90 2 tees only 5 foot to returns. I’m running my 200 gal and my 40 breeder off of it. Only have SICCE running 1/3 of power. My apex says it’s drawing 41 Watts. So I don’t think it’s under much pressure. Yes hard plumbed but switching over to 1 inch silicon hose up out of sump to see if it helps. I’m going to plumb the 6000 in to the same line to see how it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bezlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2017, 10:17 AM   #25
ggdowski
Registered Member

The pump is silent. That said, estimating head loss is not always straight-forward and intuitive. I thought I was going to be around 13-15ft... after I installed the pump, I was closer to 18 and that was right near the max spec for the pump. You should be able to estimate the head loss based on your sicce pump -- if you can figure out the flow rate you are currently getting. I liked the looks of the aquamaxx pumps. I was just disappointed that I didn't size it properly. MarineDepot really helped me out quite a bit.