Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/13/2018, 12:46 PM   #1
steallife904
Registered Member

One additive that absolutly helps coral?

Ok so been in the game a long time, have used about any additive you can think of at one time or another. I moved recently and pretty much did a restart on my coral. I also switch to brightwell neomarine salt mix. So far (4 months) I have don't nothing but weekly water changes and spot feeding coral. At the moment everything is looking good. I started to think maybe I should get some amino or reef fuel, maybe dose iodine... etc. Then I stopped and ask myself if all is well why??? I honestly cant even say that in the past when I did dose stuff it made a difference.

So my question is, if I am not chasing numbers... just dosing something to help color up or speed up growth. Is there any additive that is a must have or absolutely works? Or should I just keep it simple and just feed and water change?

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 12:52 PM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I use aqua vitro fuel.
I dose iodide to between .03-.06 for leathers, gorgonians and shrimps.
I dose phyto for my filter feeds.

I used RS colours for about 12 months......see no difference in colour.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 01:14 PM   #3
crankbait09
Registered Member

I dose Alk/Cal, do water changes every 2-3 weeks, and feed maybe once a week. Other than that, I don't add anything unless I have to.

crankbait09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 03:44 PM   #4
hkgar
Registered Member

What type of corals?
For SPS and LPS maintain levels of Alk, Ca and Mag
Best "supplement" for corals is fish poop.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 05:18 PM   #5
Misled
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Best "supplement" for corals is fish poop.
Another vote for poop.

Unread 11/13/2018, 06:51 PM   #6
lolgranny
The DQ King

+1 on the fish dookie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 40g RIP. 300g system, 180g display.
lolgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 07:18 PM   #7
CAPT_Dave
Registered Member

If you feel you must dose or feed something beyond the basics, BRS did a BRS Investigates controlled experiment on coral food and growth rates. Search their channel on You Tube. They found measurable results for Reefroids and their own Reef Chili, which I use and seems to work. At least I think I get more growth in montis and replication in Zoas and Acans. Next on the list was everything else including poop, which I guess was part of the control group. Poop is free, so....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 120 g mixed reef
CAPT_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 02:15 AM   #8
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Is kalwasser an additive? I use that a lot. Also, the calcium in this batch of Instant Ocean I have is so low (330 ppm) that I'm adding Turbo Calcium to the mixed water in the barrel to raise it to 400.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 05:24 AM   #9
homer1475
Registered Member

+3 or 4 or 5, heck I didn't keep score......

Anyways, fish poop is all your corals need for supplementation.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 08:33 AM   #10
Fourstars
Registered Member.

Cal Alk Mag phosphates nitrate. The last two only for mature well maintained tanks,. Feed multiple times daily. Also I dose Iron for Cheato growth.

Fourstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 09:35 AM   #11
steallife904
Registered Member

Ok so seems like I should stick with keep it simple. And as for coral I am pretty much LPS only now, played in the SPS game in the past but have a 2 year old now so decided a year ago to cut back and go simpler. Right my calc/alk and mag levels stay where I want them with the waterchanges so I will just stay with that and feed them. I am due to add more fish. tank is a 5ft 150 and only have 5 fish.... thanks to a mean long nose hawk, he makes it hard to add anything but that's another thread .

I guess the only other additive which someone mentioned I was on the fence about is something like fuel or amino acids. What exactly do they do or the benefit that feeding doesn't? Is this something that actually makes a difference? Any harm in adding?

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 09:47 AM   #12
Fourstars
Registered Member.

Snake oil. You get all the amino acids you need from feeding.

Unread 11/14/2018, 12:41 PM   #13
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Amino acids is like foods and wastes already broken down into a form which can be used metolbolically be the corals. This, plus regularly feedings to corals with feeding responses, as well as broadcast for filter feeders allows the corals to grown faster., but this, does not happen overnight. Since my corals grab at, hold onto, food particles, I am of the school of thought that they "enjoy" this. Yes, most of the food comes from its zoo, but additional foods allow the coral to use the energy for growth, not just survival.

But of course, good light is all that it "needs"

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 02:24 PM   #14
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourstars View Post
Cal Alk Mag phosphates nitrate. The last two only for mature well maintained tanks,. Feed multiple times daily. Also I dose Iron for Cheato growth.
phosphates nitrate - yup, that's what the fish poop is providing. It's kind of like a farmer spreading fertilizer (manure) on the crops.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2253547

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 11/14/2018, 02:52 PM   #15
Fourstars
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
phosphates nitrate - yup, that's what the fish poop is providing. It's kind of like a farmer spreading fertilizer (manure) on the crops.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2253547
Correct, not a lot of poop in my tank with low fish load and bare bottom. Zero nitrate/phosphate after 3 years, so I have to dose. which gives me more control.

Unread 11/14/2018, 03:17 PM   #16
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Correct, not a lot of poop in my tank with low fish load and bare bottom. Zero nitrate/phosphate after 3 years, so I have to dose. which gives me more control.
It's all about the type of tank you want and will enjoy. I keep a lot of fish (17, see signature line) and feed very heavy, so I can have beautiful SPS. Heck my 3 tangs + the Two Barred Rabbifish, go through two large Romaine lettuce leaves/day

Unread 11/14/2018, 03:23 PM   #17
Fourstars
Registered Member.

Absolutely! I envy your poop.

Unread 11/14/2018, 05:20 PM   #18
Misled
RC Mod

That's just wrong!!!!

Unread 11/14/2018, 10:44 PM   #19
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Before I began reading RC, I was under the impression reefers kept as few fish as possible in order to keep reef tanks nearly sterile. It's nice to see I'm not keeping too many fish.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2018, 10:11 PM   #20
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Sterile is not the way to go, IMO. I like to overfeed and over waterchange. I also like to feed corals as well as fish. I don't have a favorite brand, but coral food helps LPS in a big way. It also helps the microfauna that help keep your tank alive.

There are a lot of GORGEOUS 'sterile' tanks out there, but I prefer mine to be a little more like the real thing.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2018, 02:19 AM   #21
dkevink
Registered Member

Fish poo, just not too much.

dkevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2018, 01:07 PM   #22
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkevink View Post
Fish poo, just not too much.
They will poo what you feed them.

Unread 11/19/2018, 08:53 AM   #23
RioReefr
Registered Member

Quote:
Snake oil. You get all the amino acids you need from feeding.

I have no vested interest in Seachem, but since using their Reef Fundamentals additives a couple of months ago all my Corals look fantastic. #1/#2 bottles are the basic Calc/Carbonate 2-part. But #3 bottle (Reef Plus) contains a mixture of Vitamins, Minerals and Amino Acids.

I struggled mightily with my Hammer (Euphyllia) Colony slowly dying away and no one seemed to know why. I literally went from a 30+ bud colony down to about 5 buds. I was going to toss this Coral because there was a wide speculation there was a parasite(s) living in this coral and eventually work its way to the others.

After watching some BRS videos, I can't remember the exact one but Randy mentioned they used amino acids on a daily basis. I took just thought it was "snake oil" and another money-waster. BUT, I got the Reef Fundamentals on Amazon for less than $20 and everything now looks fantastic. IN FACT, my Euphyllia branches are now growing tiny, tiny little buds.
Also, my Devils' Hand Leather coral looks amazing. The polyps extensions are truly fascinating. It used to gloss over/close up like every 2-3 weeks and now maybe does that every 6 weeks.

BTW, I used to use something called Reef Coral Frenzy. I didn't see any noticeable difference using it or not using it. So now, I don't use it all. To me it is just another food source to "muddy" the water. I stick to the Hikari sinking pellets which all the fish seem to live.

To each their own, but this is just my 2 cents worth of experience.

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2018, 10:09 AM   #24
hkgar
Registered Member

No question that amino acids enhance corals. That's what fish poop produces - amino acids, at least that is my understanding. Rather than buying amino acids, I just feed heavy and make sure I have a sufficient nitrate export method (carbon dosing).

Unread 11/19/2018, 01:05 PM   #25
RioReefr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steallife904 View Post
One additive that absolutely helps coral?
Seachem ReefPlus.

(I wish I had used it earlier when I started in this hobby .... considering it just costs $10 AND I'd rather use an additive than feed "heavy" and pollute the tank. To each their own though.)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ReefPlus.jpg (93.7 KB, 9 views)
RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote