Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/07/2015, 08:27 AM   #1
OrionN
Moved on

Zooxanthellae Transplant for Bleached Anemones

This is a copy of a posted of another of my thread. Maybe someone will find it useful.

I performed a Zooxanthellae transplant for my Bleached Gigantea today. I did photo documentation of the procedure as below:

1. Obtained a tentacle from my healthy donor. Since my anemone is so small, I will just use a small piece of fish, and just use 1 tentacle

2. Stuff the tentacle into a piece of food, salmon in this case:

3. Here is a picture of my anemone before I feed him the zooxznthallae laced food:

4. Feed the zooxanthellae laced food to the anemone:

5. Just follow up to make sure the anemone ate the food:

6. Post feeding picture:

I expect the anemone will start regain zooxanthellae in about 2 weeks. A little longer in this case because I did not feed him as many zooxanthellae as I wanted too.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2015, 09:07 AM   #2
hotelbravo
Registered Member

does the transplant transfer the color from the zoox or does it just transfer the organisms over. or both.
for example if i transfered zoox from my RBTA to my GBTA or between two other species of nems would the color transfer over

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon, 40b sump. 3x OR T247 lighting, Reef Octopus protein skimmer, phosban 550 reactor, tunze ato, gyre xf 150, 2x mag 9.5 returns.
hotelbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2015, 09:11 AM   #3
Greg 45
Registered Member

Orion can you post a better picture of where the nem is located. Is there that much feathered algae in the tank at all times.

Greg 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2015, 09:47 AM   #4
OrionN
Moved on

That is just my QT. Full of algae, I harvest it now and then. It really keep the water in top condition. My "anemone spa". It also have a little flat worm in it. I guess I have to reset up my anemone spa.
New anemone go into this tank. If he is sick I take him out to hospital tank to treat. Once better, they go back to this tank, until ready for DT.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 09/07/2015, 09:49 AM   #5
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotelbravo View Post
does the transplant transfer the color from the zoox or does it just transfer the organisms over. or both.
for example if i transfered zoox from my RBTA to my GBTA or between two other species of nems would the color transfer over
From another of my post

The golden brown is the color of zooxanthellae, other colors, blue, green, purple, multicolor ect... are innate pigment of the anemone due to it's genetic.
Short answer: if you have a green Gigantean that bleached, and you do a zoos transplant donor is a one in a billion bright red Gigantea, you will still end up with a very nice green Gigantea, not a red one.

Wouldn't it be nice if we can change the color of our anemone by just bleaching it?

Unread 09/07/2015, 03:18 PM   #6
shifty51008
12-5 Chiefs record

Does the donor anemone have to be the same kind or can you use a bta's zooxanthellae on a gig?

Clownfish breeder
shifty51008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2015, 03:22 PM   #7
OrionN
Moved on

From another of my post

IMO, it is best if you use the same anemone species. However, if this is not available for me, and if my anemone is complete bleached, I would use any anemone as donor, and if this is also not available, I would try on one the LPS. I have never done this (cross species transplant) but I would try this instead of continue to let my anemone bleached. If anybody is doing/did this, I would love to see documentation of the result.

Unread 09/07/2015, 03:26 PM   #8
shifty51008
12-5 Chiefs record

Thanks, we usually get anemones around here but most if not all are bleached which is why i never got one but i do have very healthy rbta's that i may be willing to try.

Clownfish breeder
shifty51008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2015, 09:23 PM   #9
COENONE
Registered Member

Will this also work on a rbta ? Won't feeding alone bring back it's zooxanthellen?

COENONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2015, 10:04 PM   #10
OrionN
Moved on

From another of my post

If an anemone lost all of his zooxanthella, he cannot recover unless he take in some zooxanthellae from the environment. There are quite a few species of zooxanthellae. Many of the ones that live in anemones and corals are obligates symbiotic so they are not in the environment, at least in too large of numbers.

There maybe some in the environment but not very many, if any. If you can feed a bleached anemone a few thousand appropriate zooxanthellae, it will jump start the process much quicker.

Unread 09/07/2015, 10:05 PM   #11
OrionN
Moved on

I guess now most people realize why I wanted to put all of these information in one place.

Unread 09/08/2015, 08:06 AM   #12
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 45 View Post
Orion can you post a better picture of where the nem is located. Is there that much feathered algae in the tank at all times.
I just removed a bunch of Caulerpa Macroalgae last night. Here is a picture of the cube tank, and a picture of him this AM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PetcoGigantea2015090802.jpg (68.5 KB, 1749 views)
File Type: jpg PetcoGigantea2015090801.jpg (63.5 KB, 1756 views)

Unread 09/08/2015, 08:33 AM   #13
traveller7
Time to get back in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I guess now most people realize why I wanted to put all of these information in one place.
No doubt. Time to make it a sticky thread in my humble opinion.

Current Tank Info: Glass 2.5's
traveller7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2015, 05:45 PM   #14
m0nkie
Registered Member

very nice! that's a tiny little gig! looked a lot bigger at first until your last picture! lol..

Unread 09/09/2015, 07:19 AM   #15
OrionN
Moved on

Still no color, not that I expected any just yet. I have a lot of Stomatella snails in my system, so I fed him another one this AM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PetcoGigantea2015090901.jpg (77.8 KB, 1660 views)

Unread 09/09/2015, 09:49 AM   #16
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

I'm just curious...

Assuming that the gigantea regains its zooxanthellae, how will you be able to attribute that fact to the act of ingesting another anemone's tentacle?

I think it would be one thing if you started with 20 bleached anemones, and in the same water/environment fed 10 tentacles while did nothing with the other 10... and then measured to see how quickly they regained zooxanthellae... but you have no way of knowing if what you did currently had any impact.

Unread 09/09/2015, 01:58 PM   #17
OrionN
Moved on

I agree that if I have mean and the money, doing a randomized trial of treatment would be the way to show the effect of Zooxanthellae transplant on the recovery of the anemone. Or even better, we can do DNA analysis of the Zooxanthellae to know for sure that the repopulated Zooxanthellae for sure come from the donor anemone. I do it as soon as you send me the money.

Joking aside, I have done one transplanted in the past and also read various accounts where the transplant were done. Often after the anemone bleached for many months, and the zooxanthellae repopulated at around 10 days plus or minus 2 days. While this may not be air tight result like a randomized trials, it is good enough for me.

Just because we don't have the very best data due to it is not practical, we don't have to throw out all the other data that we have. We can logically deduce the probable outcome, even if we don't have the perfect data.

Unread 09/09/2015, 02:18 PM   #18
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionn View Post
i do it as soon as you send me the money.
lol.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2015, 01:37 PM   #19
OrionN
Moved on

I t is 7 days since I did the transplant. No evidence of zooxznthellae re-population started yet. Continue to follow.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PetcoGigantea2015091301.jpg (83.0 KB, 1594 views)

Unread 09/21/2015, 07:15 AM   #20
traveller7
Time to get back in?

I imagine the little Gig is still going strong, any news this week?

Current Tank Info: Glass 2.5's
traveller7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 12:17 PM   #21
OrionN
Moved on

T the 2 weeks mark, I start to see/imagine dirty tentacles on the anemone. These two pictures taken this AM before I leave for work. He is eating well.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PetcoGigantea2015092101.jpg (77.5 KB, 1572 views)
File Type: jpg PetcoGigantea2015092102.jpg (73.7 KB, 1569 views)

Unread 09/21/2015, 12:28 PM   #22
Pastey
Registered Member

For clarification, you harvested the zooaxanthellae by simply plucking a tentacle from a healthy "donor"?

Unread 09/21/2015, 12:33 PM   #23
shred5
Registered Member

Uptake and Persistence of Homologous and Heterologous Zooxanthellae in the Temperate Sea Anemone Cereus pedunculatus (Pennant)

http://biostor.org/reference/10788

Unread 09/21/2015, 12:38 PM   #24
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastey View Post
For clarification, you harvested the zooaxanthellae by simply plucking a tentacle from a healthy "donor"?
Yes. With larger anemones, I feed them larger piece of food and able to put several tentacles inside the food. For this anemone, I was only able to cramp in one single tentacle.
I expect the zooxanthellae to return fully within the next 4 weeks

Unread 09/21/2015, 12:45 PM   #25
Pastey
Registered Member

If you don't mind my asking, how did you remove the tentacle from the donor? Razor, quick tug? I don't currently have any anemones but I am fascinated by this.