Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/24/2020, 07:27 PM   #1
Aquaaddict84
Registered Member

Hi! New here not new to hobby. Need advice on a potential issue

Hi folks!

Been in the hobby for a while now but this is new to me and hoping for advice.

I got a good deal on an aquarium today 60X18X24 112 gallons I believe.

The tank has a trim around the top and I can tell it never had centre braces installed. No cut marks etc. The trim is glued on albeit barely and seems to be just for aesthetic purposes. Am I wrong in assuming that?

The reason for my concern is the corners aren’t fused together. Now wether they cracked or just designed that way I’m not entirely sure, however, the tops of the corners (if that makes any sense) seem to have never been a solid piece. The side piece seem to be independent of the long pieces.

It’s an older tank made by Hagen and the glass from what I’ve measured is 1/2 thick just a hair under.

Can I fill this thing up and transfer my Amazon tank over! Or should I began the process of a DIY solution or erurobrace?

Thanks for reading and have a wonderful safe weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquaaddict84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2020, 07:49 PM   #2
MarAquatic
Registered Member

Can you post pics

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MarAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2020, 08:07 PM   #3
Aquaaddict84
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarAquatic View Post
Can you post pics

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

In the morning lll post pics. It’s dark and it’s still in the back of my truck lol

Unread 10/25/2020, 03:44 AM   #4
Aquaaddict84
Registered Member

These are the pics he has sent me if this helps

Unread 10/25/2020, 06:32 AM   #5
Timfish
Registered Member

With many manufactured aquariums the trim is primarily cosmetic. As long as the tank is evenly supported evenly if the trim joints at the corners have seperated slightly it shouldn't be an issue. If you want to add a support, siliconing in a piece of glass is easily done.

Unread 10/25/2020, 06:50 AM   #6
Aquaaddict84
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timfish View Post
With many manufactured aquariums the trim is primarily cosmetic. As long as the tank is evenly supported evenly if the trim joints at the corners have seperated slightly it shouldn't be an issue. If you want to add a support, siliconing in a piece of glass is easily done.

I took some more pics. The plastic trim on my 75 gallon is very thick and appears to be one piece. This trim is paper think and it doesn’t appear to have been one piece....

Unread 10/25/2020, 07:10 AM   #7
Timfish
Registered Member

Those are obvioulsy mitered corners, besides cosmetic it has a lip for holding glass covers. It's just siliconed in place and likely has pulled loose from the silicone in places.

Unread 10/25/2020, 07:19 AM   #8
aaronpentz
Registered Member

One thing to note is that used to be a dry tank. You can see the stick on heating pad for reptiles. I would be concerned with ammonia that has absorbed into the silicone and that its water tight at all from whatever they had in there scratching or clawing at.

I don't remember Hagen making aquariums however it's also not something I paid too much attention to though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 67 Long
aaronpentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2020, 07:31 AM   #9
Aquaaddict84
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpentz View Post
One thing to note is that used to be a dry tank. You can see the stick on heating pad for reptiles. I would be concerned with ammonia that has absorbed into the silicone and that its water tight at all from whatever they had in there scratching or clawing at.

I don't remember Hagen making aquariums however it's also not something I paid too much attention to though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah it was a snake tank. So the ammonia is more of a solid. Snakes don’t pee like normal lol. The silicone appears to be in great shape tho!

I put the stand in my garage and levelled it. I’ll fill it up today and wait a couple weeks and see what happens. I’ll tKe measurements all around and see if it’s bulging

Unread 10/25/2020, 10:28 AM   #10
Aquaaddict84
Registered Member

Here more pics.

Filled it up in my garage. It’s got a very slight bulge on front and back.

Hard to tell from pics but here it is

I used the brace as a flat edge. Prob not the best but you can see the gap in the middle. Is that of concern?

Unread 10/25/2020, 11:33 AM   #11
Tcook
Premium Member

Hagan makes retile tanks like the Exo Tera. My concern would be is it designed to handle the weight and outward force of water in an aquarium? Same glass thickness? You could contact Hagan.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2020, 12:17 PM   #12
Sk8r
RC Mod

5/8ths inch glass is pretty bombproof. I'd repair the trim. Install an ammonia alert badge, for one. Leaching can cause a slow buildup over time. But glass looks solid.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote