Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2019, 12:12 AM   #1
RobbyG
Registered Member

Inverter based Aquarium Chiller does it exist?

I dabble around in HVAC for my home, vehicles and Aquarium. I rebuilt my aquarium chiller about 6 years ago and now once again the condenser coil is starting to spring leaks due to aluminum oxidation. So I am just going to buy a new one as I am tired of getting the gas leaks welded.

I recently replace Fridge and AC units with Inverter based systems and saw a really big power savings, so naturally I would love to have a chiller that used an inverter compressor system. I have not found any when I do searches so I am wondering if they exist?

I know the upsides and downsides to inverters. They work wonderfully in closed systems like bedrooms and fridges but you would not want to put one in a Store that has customers opening the doors all the time as they consume more energy than regular compressors when they have to go into high speed mode to compensate for huge temp swings. The beauty is that once the area is cool and stable the compressor goes so slow that it consumes very little power to maintain the temperature.

My thinking is that an Aquarium makes an ideal situation as once the water is cold it does not take much to keep it cool. At least based on the power cycling graphs on my controller.

Is there something I am not thinking about why manufacturers have not moved over to inverter tech? I am thinking about building my own by getting a second hand split AC unit and making my own evaporator section from a 5" wide stainless steel tube with the coils wrapped around it and then insulated. I would rather buy than build as I am kind of getting tired of the design and building process, so if anybody has any idea of a company that makes one or why an inverter based system would not be practical I am very interested in hearing your ideas.

Thanks
Rob

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB
RobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2019, 09:21 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Its newer tech and the chiller companies haven't needed to keep up with trends..

Unread 06/21/2019, 11:47 PM   #3
RobbyG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Its newer tech and the chiller companies haven't needed to keep up with trends..
Seems kind of crazy to me since Inverter based AC's have been on the market for about ten years. I really think this could save a lot of power and keep the Tank temperature as constant as you want it to be.

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB
RobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote