Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/19/2019, 04:53 PM   #1
tomreefer
Registered Member

RO/DI and TDS?

My source is a whopping 673 tds and recently it seems my town using more chlorine or something as it smells like bleach when I take a shower or bath. Should I be concerned?

My RO/DI I use the following scheme

Sediment 1st stage; Chloromine Block 2nd stage; 3rd stage Carbon Block; 4th Stage 75gpd Membrane; 5th stage DI.. Now my TDS before going to DI is 19; I am thinking maybe I need another DI.. 19 is high going to DI correct?

tomreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2019, 05:14 PM   #2
outssider
Registered Member

19/673= good 97% efficient. If you an actually smell the chlorine in the tap water, I'd keep a very close eye on the carbon blocks....probably change them out more often then most of us do....there are test kits you can buy from brs to check the total chlorine of your discharge water....

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2019, 05:17 PM   #3
tomreefer
Registered Member

Yea I can smell it.. so which block just the carbon not chlromine block? What test kits?

Unread 10/19/2019, 06:47 PM   #4
BeachBumm
Registered Bumm

If they are not using chloramines to treat your water and just use chlorine you could actually run two carbon blocks and take out the chloramine block and they would probably last a little longer .

BeachBumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2019, 07:02 PM   #5
tomreefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBumm View Post
If they are not using chloramines to treat your water and just use chlorine you could actually run two carbon blocks and take out the chloramine block and they would probably last a little longer .
Well they use chloramines for sure, I checked my towns water report

Unread 10/19/2019, 08:48 PM   #6
Opus123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomreefer View Post
Well they use chloramines for sure, I checked my towns water report
That may not be the case currently. Most cities use either chlorine or chloramines, but not both at the same time. Some can switch back and forth between the 2 during different times of the year. The water report is just a snapshot of the water at a certain time so your water could be different now. I know a few months back our city posted to their facebook page that they were doing maintenance to the water system and were using higher than normal amounts of disinfectants and that the water would smell for a few weeks.

As stated you might want to look into getting a chlorine test kit. You could also look into getting a carbon block that is made to take out higher amounts of chlorine if you think that is an issue. Chloramines will not hurt your ro membrane but they will exhaust your di quicker. You may also want to look into getting a 99% rejection rate ro membrane such as the spectrapure. I have the spectrapure and my 450 tap is taken down to 3 or 4 before the di.

Opus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2019, 05:57 PM   #7
outssider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomreefer View Post
What test kits?
I've used these

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/insta...s-lamotte.html

Unread 10/21/2019, 06:55 PM   #8
tomreefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outssider View Post
Do you use these test kits before using your RO? or after? BEFORE DI I WOULD IMAGINE

Unread 10/21/2019, 08:55 PM   #9
outssider
Registered Member

before ro. you can use it on your exhaust water that goes down the drain....that's the same as before ro....you can also use it on the flush water if you have a flush hooked up

Unread 10/27/2019, 07:34 AM   #10
BeachBumm
Registered Bumm

They do use chloramines where I live in South FL so I do use two carbon blocks after the sediment filter and my DI resin last for a pretty decent time . It doesnt exhaust very quickly and I always have 0 TDS and when not I change the DI resin but I do not have to do that too often !

BeachBumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2019, 11:36 AM   #11
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Speactrpure has a help tab on their website and you can fill in the blanks and they will get back to you on their recommendations, I just did it.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote