Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/24/2016, 07:39 PM   #26
jraker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsonly View Post
Good luck with those marine pure blocks...I was having the strangest issues with corals dropping dead after pristine water quality with consistent params. Someone suggested they could be leaching aluminum; I removed them and all my problems went away in a matter of weeks.
There are Chinese knockoffs of Marinepure that leach aluminum. The real Marinepure and the fake one look the same, so be sure to get yours from a reputable source.

Current Tank Info: 36 gallon reef, 65 gallon Caribbean Biotope macroalgae and seagrass tank
jraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2016, 08:12 PM   #27
brad65ford
Registered Member

Having run them in other systems there was never an issue with multiple types of SPS grow even though my past Triton tests show alum. In my belief its possible the fluctuation and or stripping of n03 can be most common issues with them. Most all of my BB systems seem to find a sweet spot at 2.5-5ppm NO3, these blocks can wipe out N03 easily.

Unread 07/25/2016, 11:08 AM   #28
brad65ford
Registered Member

Photo update:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1886 525xl.jpg (47.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1893 525xl.jpg (51.5 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by brad65ford; 07/25/2016 at 11:13 AM.
brad65ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2016, 03:57 PM   #29
danrs20
Registered Member

I can see this tank becoming quite a master piece. Regarding flow, would it not be better to have the maxspect on one end and the wp40 sat in the middle? Not sure wether the maxspect is strong enough to push the entire length, just a thought.

danrs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2016, 05:03 PM   #30
brad65ford
Registered Member

Thanks danrs20 and your spot on with the maxspect I did try it on the end and it wasn't the best flow since it was interrupted. Currently I have the maxspect and MP40 on both sides of the back as well as the main pump return in the center pushing water towards the front of the tank. Seems to be a good random flow pattern so far that the fish are ok with. They are all on the lowest settings for the fish will not be able to sleep at night ;-) Good to know i'll have the flow available in the future though. Just checked par readings today with all channels at 50% and i'm seeing 160-180 par in the middle of the tank. Whats strange is the par really jumps up once pasted 50% on these Orphek's doesn't seem linear so I do not plan on adjusting but a few percent with out testing par that's for sure.

Last edited by brad65ford; 07/25/2016 at 05:12 PM.
Unread 08/14/2016, 01:25 PM   #31
brad65ford
Registered Member

8-13-16 Update:

Hi guys, the system fortunately is still chugging along slowly but nicely. I'm pleased to say still no nasty unwanted algae blooms which I'm still surprised i didn't have ever like my other systems when starting out, wondering if these lights have something to do with it. Fish are doing well, still pulling nasty skim mate out once a week as well as changing the filter socks. Dosing Zeobak and Zeostart when i remember, also started manually dosing two part when it dips below 7 alk. Not doing a lot of small water changes like my other systems, though i'm been pretty religious doing one big 40g wc ever 30-40 days.

Even though i told myself i wouldn't add hard corals for a while something pushed me to try out some sps's frags we have from my other systems just a few days ago. To my surprised the acro's are already encrusting and all is fine. Still not happy with the lighting schedule or look just yet with these Orphek's but they do see to make them happy. At the moment the fixture is running 55% on ch1, 80% ch2, 65% ch3 and 60% ch4 these are peak numbers, the two blue channels (2 and 3) are running 9 hours a day while the whites (1 and 4) run 4 hours with 1h ramps. I need to double check par before i state it with these settings. Still don't think the systems is ready for any sensitive corals by a long shoot, only started to see some coralline algae popping up here and there which is usually the first since of "things are going in the right direction" :-)

Anyway sorry for the not so good quality photos just wanted to post this updated attempt for new live stock, need to get the Orphek's manual setting adjusted ahead of time before I take pic's. Also thinking about adding some Kessil's to the system to mix it up a bit. For now i'm planning on just let it run with these frags to see how they react, if all goes good I have a lot of other sps's I want to bring over from my other systems. Really trying to think about placement of the monti's will be so they can really grow.

Last edited by brad65ford; 08/14/2016 at 01:36 PM.
Unread 08/15/2016, 12:42 PM   #32
brad65ford
Registered Member

Wow these Orphek has some punch, in the middle of the tank all the way across from left to right i'm seeing 280-320par. The LPS's on the top back are seeing 320-350par. Decided to lower the white channels a little bit to bright down the par to 240-260 in the middle of the tank.

Unread 08/15/2016, 12:56 PM   #33
Oldcabin
Registered Member

Tank is looking really great.
Loving the BB look and the Orpheks!
I've just recently started a 525 myself and enjoying the process.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 525XL
Oldcabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2016, 02:35 PM   #34
brad65ford
Registered Member

Thanks Oldcabin, got a long way to go here but would love to see your 525xl!

Guys i have an issue or concern with the system (rocks). Seems i'm now seeing another bloom or change in the system. The rocks are releasing a lot of nitrogen gas bubbles during the day. Don't think its dinoflagellate since there is no slime or coating just gas bubbles (thank god). But i know i've had this issue before with another system years ago, just wasn't sure of the cure or if it was a time thing. Any suggestions? Its like a bubble bath during peak light intensity :-(

Unread 08/15/2016, 03:06 PM   #35
Oldcabin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad65ford View Post
Thanks Oldcabin, got a long way to go here but would love to see your 525xl!

Guys i have an issue or concern with the system (rocks). Seems i'm now seeing another bloom or change in the system. The rocks are releasing a lot of nitrogen gas bubbles during the day. Don't think its dinoflagellate since there is no slime or coating just gas bubbles (thank god). But i know i've had this issue before with another system years ago, just wasn't sure of the cure or if it was a time thing. Any suggestions? Its like a bubble bath during peak light intensity :-(
Sure, I've just started a build thread here:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2594151

Your gas bubbles sound odd...can't say I've ever heard of that outside dinos, etc. They simply form from the rocks and float to the top? Are they pretty big? I'm sure a picture would be difficult to get, but may help others to diagnose.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 525XL
Oldcabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2016, 06:01 PM   #36
brad65ford
Registered Member

Love it looks great, wishing you the best of luck with your setup, keep in touch too. You should have plenty of power with those HD's.

Regarding the bubbles/gas off the rocks, just remembered my other system did the same with these rocks right they started to grow a little bit of turf algae then fully cured. Will be interesting, knew its not fully ready yet and i hate pushing things when i've been down this road.

Unread 08/21/2016, 06:00 AM   #37
brad65ford
Registered Member

4 Month update:

Couldn't help it been sneaking over more corals frags over from my other system and so far so good they seem to have taken the different lighting on with no issues actually they seem to be doing better with this system. Green slimmer frag already started to encrust 3 days after introduced, still not sure about monti placement since they are going to be on the rocks and eventually bump into each other, looking forward to the wars when that time comes. Added a Hulk acan while i'm trying to find a place for guessing leave it on the bottom, bottom par is seeing 180-200 par right now.

I do have a concern and requested advice from you guys, the system has now been running for 4 months and for the past month we are noticed a tremendous amount of gas bubbles attached to and releasing from the (what we believe are still curing dry life rock) only during peak brightness light cycle. Positive things is there is no algae or bacteria attached to the gas bubbles which makes me think its just nitrogen gas which is good i'm guessing? Since there is no sand in the system at all i'm assuming the rock is doing the nitrogen cycle for the tank which is what's happening and the rock is curing and I'm not sure. Just wanted to hear others thoughts since i'm reluctant to try and change something like running a few days with out lights or doing a massive water change if this is dino's or something else we need to address. Also parameters are in check all corals and fish are fine and doing well just concerned if this is normal and the rocks are not fully cured yet and this will eventually just will slow down or stop. Funny but its like a bubble storm towards the end of the day.

Last edited by brad65ford; 08/21/2016 at 06:07 AM.
Unread 08/22/2016, 05:34 PM   #38
asrpdoc
Registered Member

Looks beautiful. I am thinking of buying the the Redsea Reefer 525XL. Any suggestions/advice would be very helpful

asrpdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2016, 06:32 PM   #39
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

Looking great so far, tagging along!

Current Tank Info: 110 Gallon Reef
Reeftanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2016, 10:09 PM   #40
burton14e7
Registered Member

Do the orpheks come with those tank mounts or did you have to rig those?

Current Tank Info: Currently awaiting relapse.
burton14e7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2016, 08:25 AM   #41
brad65ford
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrpdoc View Post
Looks beautiful. I am thinking of buying the the Redsea Reefer 525XL. Any suggestions/advice would be very helpful
Its on heck of a nice looking tank, redsea has a great product here, though there are a lot of questionable suggestions they did with return and supply line tubing size i've heard other have said with these reefer series. To me its fine for what i'm going to be doing. Any other suggestions would be to plan things out, I have a long road a head of me don't foresee i'm going to be happy with the look of the tank for at least a year till the system/rocks mature and take off. So any advice would be to have take your time and plan ahead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeftanks6 View Post
Looking great so far, tagging along!
Cool and thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burton14e7 View Post
Do the orpheks come with those tank mounts or did you have to rig those?
Unfortunately no had to custom make them with the AI brackets, should have pic's on the first page if not i will find them and post them. The fixtures are closer to the water then i'd want but so far so good, no were near full power and corals are seeing 250-330 par.

Unread 08/23/2016, 04:40 PM   #42
brad65ford
Registered Member

8-23-16 WC and recent frag coral pic update

So went ahead and did another 40g wc which I think it needed. Unfortunately i know the system has a long way to go since i'm not growing more then a few dots of coraline algae spots Waiting for the day it looks like my other bb's which are completely covered in the pink stuff even on the bottom of the tank. This time i scrapped the bottom with a razor, not sure the tangs are happy with that since they enjoyed picking and grazing during the day. About an hour after the water change the astrea snails started to spawn and shoot there slurry everywhere lol.

Still guessing on lighting with the Orphek's to take pictures this time its mostly just channel 1 which is whites. Snapped some pic's to show a comparison between 9 days ago of these small frags. Looks like we are off to a good start and they are growing and coloring up well too. Really need to learn how to take better pictures, if I leave the lights on to normal highest schedule setting of the day (which i enjoy) its just to blue and the camera doesn't take pictures well. I've heard of using a filter and would like to learn more about that. Anyway just wanted to document the positive small change.

Last edited by brad65ford; 08/23/2016 at 04:55 PM.
Unread 08/23/2016, 04:45 PM   #43
brad65ford
Registered Member

Unread 09/19/2016, 12:17 PM   #44
brad65ford
Registered Member

9-19-16 check in.

Whats up guys, finally have the time to give an update. Despite wanting my other tangs in here for more pee and poop coral food, we haven't yet. Will have to brake down and remove rocks out of my other tank to get them they are not easy to catch. Was thinking when they are sleeping in the rocks at night may be the best time.. Anyway, back to the 525xl. So far i can't be happier in that any added changes seem to be a positive reaction which is unusual for me.

Added 5 A160 Kessils to fill in the shadows and add the extra pop. Made some alum U shape brackets that are held in by a bolt and nut running down the AI rail channel. Works well and can move the A160's anywhere i want. Running them at 30% color and 70 % intensity for most of the day. Corals are seeing 300-380 par, so far so good do not plan on increasing intensity for some time since come corals are light in color still. Did lower the Orphek's down 10 percent on each channel since adding the Kessil just in cases.

Corals are all doing very well, once again my attempt to take better photos now with a filmed lens cover just doesn't do the coral colors any justice. But i wanted to share the growth and over all health changes which can be seen (again please look past the ugly photo coloring). Colors and growth i can not be happier with at the moment especially for the age of the tank. What really makes me happy is the health/color and growth of the undata which is one of my favorite monti's of all time, all blues/greens are coming out very nicely!!

Maintenance has been the same, skimming and filter sock changes ever 3-4 days since they both get dirty quickly. Decided not to do a large water change in the past couple weeks, instead blew off rocks with pumps off and removed 8 gallons. With the amount of water flow there isn't much in this BB system that isn't making its way the the sump/socks/skimmer which is what i wanted. I feed the fish/tank at least 4-5 times a day, most frozen or a mix of 4 different types of pellets, stopped the nori since it makes a mess. Everyone once and a while i'll dose some Zeo products nothing consistent to worth mentioning though. I know i need more food / dirtier tank with more fish to get things taking off.. in time! Thanks for listening guys!

Alk / cal consumption is up so its time i've ordered a doser, will be doing mostly 2 part for now.

Last edited by brad65ford; 09/19/2016 at 12:35 PM.
Unread 09/22/2016, 02:06 PM   #45
brad65ford
Registered Member

Update 9-22-16 (dosing pump / 2 more tangs and more sps frags)

Hi guys, sorry for the bad pic's last time. Believe we've done better this time around.

-more fish! I know the tank needs more coral food (dirtier water) and i really don't like shutting off the skimmer so the plan was always to have as many tangs as one could fit in this size tank. Now i know the tang police will surely be after me since we now have successfully removed the Hippo and Lieutenant tangs as well as to a pair of anthias from another system we have. So that make it 5 tangs in this system!! We are feeding 8 to 10 times a day to make sure they stay fat and happy

-added a bunch more frags, do not know the names to share, though grabbed a mind trick monti which i'm happy about. The really white sps frags were getting bleached from the system it was in, they should gain some color in a few weeks.

-added a cheap-o ebay doser which i really didn't want to do so i'm keeping my eye on it. Sadly everything is made in china so it is what it is. 12ml a day is what we are starting at and can already tell we need to increase, just taking it slow since i rather be low then high with alk especially for a low no3/po4 system like this.

*note to self, you do not need any more frags/corals*

Unread 09/22/2016, 02:08 PM   #46
brad65ford
Registered Member

Unread 09/22/2016, 02:09 PM   #47
brad65ford
Registered Member

Unread 10/03/2016, 10:37 AM   #48
asrpdoc
Registered Member

I am planning of buying the Red sea Reefer 525XL. I visited the LFS and looked at the custom aquarium tanks and stands too. Your Red sea Reefer 525XL looks amazing. Please advise and your experience with the 525XL would be very helpful to make a decision.

Unread 10/03/2016, 10:39 AM   #49
asrpdoc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad65ford View Post
Its on heck of a nice looking tank, redsea has a great product here, though there are a lot of questionable suggestions they did with return and supply line tubing size i've heard other have said with these reefer series. To me its fine for what i'm going to be doing. Any other suggestions would be to plan things out, I have a long road a head of me don't foresee i'm going to be happy with the look of the tank for at least a year till the system/rocks mature and take off. So any advice would be to have take your time and plan ahead
thank you. Saw your reply to my earlier msg here

Unread 10/03/2016, 10:41 AM   #50
brad65ford
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrpdoc View Post
thank you. Saw your reply to my earlier msg here
lol good, personally i love the tank/system wishing it was larger thats all since we want more fish.