Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/14/2019, 10:48 PM   #1
sfdan
Registered Member

Tunze Stream 6255 - Drive unit has hairline cracks

One of my Stream 6255 pumps stopped working, and then I noticed the metal rod that goes in the middle of the pump was on the sandbed below the pump. Based on reading the manual I believe that if I re-inserted the metal rod and then put the drive unit around that, it would work again. But when I took out the drive unit to reassemble the pump, I noticed it had small cracks on both sides. Pictures here.

The cracks are very thin and seem to not compromise the drive unit structurally, but I'm concerned the cracks be breaching some sort of protecting layer. Is this safe to put back in the aquarium?

sfdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2019, 08:36 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The cracks are severe, in this condition you have 2 N and 2 S poles and it cannot rotate properly. How old is the pump? In general the shaft can be reinstalled on smaller pumps in many cases but the forces on a 6255 are quite high and it is not likely this would last long term.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2019, 10:27 AM   #3
sfdan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
The cracks are severe, in this condition you have 2 N and 2 S poles and it cannot rotate properly. How old is the pump? In general the shaft can be reinstalled on smaller pumps in many cases but the forces on a 6255 are quite high and it is not likely this would last long term.
I bought the pumps on 8/7/18, and I've got 2 of them. The other one working fine.

Unread 08/15/2019, 11:03 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

If they were bought new, they are under warranty, can you email me the receipt? In general a pulled shaft indicates they were not cleaned soon enough and calcium seized the rotor to the shaft, this makes it somewhat of a grey area, but the cracked rotor could have been the root cause as this would cause a lot of vibration.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 08/15/2019, 12:33 PM   #5
sfdan
Registered Member

Yes I bought them new from BRS. What is your email address?

I had not deep cleaned them since I installed them, which was probably right around when I got them. I just pulled out my working one and put it into a vinegar bath and the drive unit and metal shaft looked pretty pristine, I didn't see any build-up or anything. But I will now make sure to clean them every 3 months.

Unread 08/15/2019, 01:38 PM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Tunze at sbcglobal dot net