Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Premium Aquatics
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04/19/2014, 08:49 PM   #1801
Nam Nguyen
Registered Member

hi Jeremy
my friend have the Bubble King Deluxe Internal 300 and he looking co change the impeller of the pump. i wonder how much it cost .
or he will change new pump. how much it cost for the new pump. can you send me the link of the new pump. if you can
thanks a lot

Nam Nguyen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2014, 01:26 PM   #1802
kalgra
Registered Member

Ive been running my BK 160 on my 60g tank/20g sump for about 5 months. This is all the skimmate I am pulling each week id say approx a cups worth. Its dark tea to light coffee colored and smells really bad like rotten eggs much worse than other skimmate I have experienced.

Given my bioload of 6 BTAs, 3 green chromis, two clowns, a large starry blenny, a large yellow tang, a mandarin and an assortment of shrimp and other inverts I feel like I should be getting more. The folks here are the experts so im hoping someone can tell me if this seems about right or if maybe I need to do some more tweaking.

I clean the cup and the neck every Sunday, this does seem to improve performance a bit. I have it submerged to in exactly 20cm cm which is what the instructions say is ideal. I don't however use the grease on the cup that is mentioned in the instructions because to be honest Id never really heard of that before and I felt the instruction were a bit unclear on what type of grease is to be used and exactly where. I have my water level adjustment set at a little over 3/4 the max of what the adjustment allows.

Any thoughts?

kalgra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2014, 04:28 PM   #1803
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Bubble King Skimmer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus Jansen D View Post
@Schnitzelreef,

is it possible to switch out the skimmer and shoot a picture from the outlet from the small siliconhose ? Possibly the silicone hose is kinked. The hose must go in the hole, without kink.. you can turn the nozzle in the RD3 Pump, and the white T-outlet, so set the hose linear without strong curve....

hope it helps..

best regards .. Klaus

Tried adjusting the line and turning the nozzle on the pump and there's still water coming from the wedge pipe.

Can anyone explain why this is happening?

Also why is the pictures on premium aquatics different then the skimmer I received.

VS

It seems like if the silencer wasn't attached to the top of the wedge pipe, there wouldn't be anywhere for water to come out. Just like the picture of the double cone on premium aquatics website, that seems correct. My skimmer is like the original vertex alpha, and it seems flawed. Is there a way to change the wedge pipe to the style from premium aquatics website??

SchnitzelReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2014, 02:06 PM   #1804
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

The photos we have up were of the prototype, all of the production models have the tube inside the wedge pipe to keep the noise down. I don't believe you can change, but I can check into it for you. If you still have water coming out then the tube is not positioned correctly inside the wedge pipe.

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2014, 06:19 PM   #1805
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy B. View Post
The photos we have up were of the prototype, all of the production models have the tube inside the wedge pipe to keep the noise down. I don't believe you can change, but I can check into it for you. If you still have water coming out then the tube is not positioned correctly inside the wedge pipe.

Thanks, i appreciate it. I'd rather have air intake noise then the constant water trickling in my sump. It's so annoying.

Old 04/24/2014, 08:30 PM   #1806
moondoggy4
Registered Member

not an expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalgra View Post
Ive been running my BK 160 on my 60g tank/20g sump for about 5 months. This is all the skimmate I am pulling each week id say approx a cups worth. Its dark tea to light coffee colored and smells really bad like rotten eggs much worse than other skimmate I have experienced.

Given my bioload of 6 BTAs, 3 green chromis, two clowns, a large starry blenny, a large yellow tang, a mandarin and an assortment of shrimp and other inverts I feel like I should be getting more. The folks here are the experts so im hoping someone can tell me if this seems about right or if maybe I need to do some more tweaking.

I clean the cup and the neck every Sunday, this does seem to improve performance a bit. I have it submerged to in exactly 20cm cm which is what the instructions say is ideal. I don't however use the grease on the cup that is mentioned in the instructions because to be honest Id never really heard of that before and I felt the instruction were a bit unclear on what type of grease is to be used and exactly where. I have my water level adjustment set at a little over 3/4 the max of what the adjustment allows.

Any thoughts?

I will take a swing at it. First the I believe that your skimmer is too powerful for a 60 gallon tank I have heard that they work best on a 90 gallon tank. Second is seems that you have your skimmer turned very high note the bubbles 1'' below the neck, I would lower the internal height of the bubbles to water level causing the bubbles to rise more.
You do not have that many fish I get a little nervous when the doctor wants me to fill a specimen cup and I am much larger than the cup some of your fish could swim in your skimmer cup, so I think it is working exactly how your skimmer should work, you just do not have the big of a bio load. HTH

moondoggy4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2014, 11:06 AM   #1807
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

I agree with the above. I think it's performing spot on for your size tank, bioload, and the height that the water level is set at. I would personally raise the water level inside the skimmer to where that distinct line is right at the position where the collection cup sits on the body. This will have you skimming just a bit more wet. You won't get as much buildup inside the neck itself, but you'll get a bit more skimmate in the cup.

Old 04/26/2014, 09:19 PM   #1808
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Bubble King Skimmer Club

Looks like I got a lemon bubble king!!. It Doesn't matter what I do, water sprays from where the air hose enters the wedge pipe.

I really can't believe that a $1400 skimmer would have ANY problems. Seems like the design is wrong on this skimmer. Maybe the cone design isn't correct or the pump isn't the right size...But something doesn't seem right.
My problems so far...
-Foam production SUCKS! It's been 3 weeks, and I thought by now it would be broken in and I would be getting thick nasty skimmate. Guess I was wrong. Maybe I need to wait a couple more weeks, but so far I cannot dial in this skimmer. It's either too little, where I get zero skimmate. Or it's too much, and the skimmate is very light colored.

-water trickling out of the wedge pipe. This is very annoying, I spent a lot of time and money making sure that my sump was silent. Now all I hear is water trickling..sounds like someone is peeing in my sump. I've asked Jeremy and Klaus and neither had a solution that fixed my problem.

-the threaded collection cup leaks. After cleaning my collection cup for the second time, I put everything back together and there was water leaking from the threads. I unscrewed it, and re tightened everything and there is still a little bit of water coming out. I tried cleaning the o ring and making sure it was all aligned, and it still leaks. I'm thinking maybe I just need to tighten it a lot harder, but then getting it off is really hard. Especially IF it ever gets full skimmate. Again, this design seems flawed. My reef octopus had a simple press in collection cup that never leaked once, and it was very simple to take on and off. On the double cone skimmer, the drain hose for the collection cup hits the ozone adapter when unscrewing it....who thought of that?? So u need two hands in there, one to unscrew it and one to hold the hose from getting caught every time it comes around.

After reading this, I'm sure you might think this is my first skimmer, and I'm new to the hobby...but that is not the case. This is not my first skimmer, I've been in the hobby for 5+ years, and have had close to 10 different skimmers. My last skimmer was a super reef octopus xp3000, and that skimmer kicked butt...Best skimmer I've ever owned. Ya it's Chinese, but it worked great and was very easy to adjust. I was gunna buy another SRO skimmer, buy they stopped making the xp5000.

If anybody has a bubble king and has had similar issues, and found a fix...PLEASE let me know what you did to fix it. I have the skimmer sitting in 9" of water right now. I'm wondering if I should try raising it or lowering it to get thicker skimmate? The pump is running at 40w..maybe I need to turn it up or down? Any ideas?

There is so much hype out there that bubble king is the BEST....but after my experience, they seem sub par to the Chinese reef octopus or ATB. Ya the acrylic is shiny and nice, but that doesn't do much in terms of removing fish poo!

Anyways. If I can't get this figured out, my skimmer will be up for sale and I'll be buying an ATB or I'll try to find a used super reef octopus.

Last edited by SchnitzelReef; 04/26/2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04/26/2014, 10:05 PM   #1809
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Bubble King Skimmer Club

Just for a comparison, my buddy started his 300g tank about a week before me and we both got our skimmers at the same time. Here is a pic of his ATB after a week

He only has 10 chromis so far in his tank. I have 6 tangs and wrasses and clowns etc etc.

I started thinking maybe my water was too clean and that it's still a new tank blah blah blah. That's BS. Once I saw my buddies pic of his ATB, I knew something wasn't right with my skimmer. :/

Last edited by SchnitzelReef; 04/26/2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04/27/2014, 12:17 AM   #1810
kuyatwo
Registered Member

Bubble King Skimmer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnitzelReef View Post
Looks like I got a lemon bubble king!!. It Doesn't matter what I do, water sprays from where the air hose enters the wedge pipe.

I really can't believe that a $1400 skimmer would have ANY problems. Seems like the design is wrong on this skimmer. Maybe the cone design isn't correct or the pump isn't the right size...But something doesn't seem right.
My problems so far...
-Foam production SUCKS! It's been 3 weeks, and I thought by now it would be broken in and I would be getting thick nasty skimmate. Guess I was wrong. Maybe I need to wait a couple more weeks, but so far I cannot dial in this skimmer. It's either too little, where I get zero skimmate. Or it's too much, and the skimmate is very light colored.

-water trickling out of the wedge pipe. This is very annoying, I spent a lot of time and money making sure that my sump was silent. Now all I hear is water trickling..sounds like someone is peeing in my sump. I've asked Jeremy and Klaus and neither had a solution that fixed my problem.

-the threaded collection cup leaks. After cleaning my collection cup for the second time, I put everything back together and there was water leaking from the threads. I unscrewed it, and re tightened everything and there is still a little bit of water coming out. I tried cleaning the o ring and making sure it was all aligned, and it still leaks. I'm thinking maybe I just need to tighten it a lot harder, but then getting it off is really hard. Especially IF it ever gets full skimmate. Again, this design seems flawed. My reef octopus had a simple press in collection cup that never leaked once, and it was very simple to take on and off. On the double cone skimmer, the drain hose for the collection cup hits the ozone adapter when unscrewing it....who thought of that?? So u need two hands in there, one to unscrew it and one to hold the hose from getting caught every time it comes around.

After reading this, I'm sure you might think this is my first skimmer, and I'm new to the hobby...but that is not the case. This is not my first skimmer, I've been in the hobby for 5+ years, and have had close to 10 different skimmers. My last skimmer was a super reef octopus xp3000, and that skimmer kicked butt...Best skimmer I've ever owned. Ya it's Chinese, but it worked great and was very easy to adjust. I was gunna buy another SRO skimmer, buy they stopped making the xp5000.

If anybody has a bubble king and has had similar issues, and found a fix...PLEASE let me know what you did to fix it. I have the skimmer sitting in 9" of water right now. I'm wondering if I should try raising it or lowering it to get thicker skimmate? The pump is running at 40w..maybe I need to turn it up or down? Any ideas?

There is so much hype out there that bubble king is the BEST....but after my experience, they seem sub par to the Chinese reef octopus or ATB. Ya the acrylic is shiny and nice, but that doesn't do much in terms of removing fish poo!

Anyways. If I can't get this figured out, my skimmer will be up for sale and I'll be buying an ATB or I'll try to find a used super reef octopus.

What model bubble king is that? I thought they use red dragon pumps

Is the exit of skimmer close to the wall of the sump?

kuyatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2014, 12:20 AM   #1811
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyatwo View Post
What model bubble king is that? I thought they use red dragon pumps

Double cone 250 with the DC speedy pump. It's royal exclusives new pump. I liked the Askoll red dragon better, but Klaus promised this pump and skimmer is good. :/

Old 04/27/2014, 09:28 AM   #1812
loweryster
Registered Member

Besides lighting, I think skimmers are one of the most complicated pieces of equipment in the hobby. So many factors come into play for producing good skimmate. If your skimmer is sitting in 9" of water, I would start with raising the skimmer up to 8" and lower the motor watts to 30-35. Then slowly go up from there. But I'm no expert, I'm sure Jeremy/Klaus will chime in here next week.

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93G Cube, 2 x Vortech MP40W, Bubble King Double Cone 180 / Mini RD3 DC Speedy Pump, Red Dragon 3 Mini Speedy 50w DC Return Pump, ATI 24 x 8 PM Hybrid , Apex, GHL 3 head doser, Zeovit system, Arctica 1/10 HP
loweryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2014, 12:51 PM   #1813
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loweryster View Post
Besides lighting, I think skimmers are one of the most complicated pieces of equipment in the hobby. So many factors come into play for producing good skimmate. If your skimmer is sitting in 9" of water, I would start with raising the skimmer up to 8" and lower the motor watts to 30-35. Then slowly go up from there. But I'm no expert, I'm sure Jeremy/Klaus will chime in here next week.

What's your reason for raising the skimmer and lowering the watts? You think it will foam better?

Old 04/27/2014, 01:16 PM   #1814
acesq
Registered Member

How close is your outlet to the side of the sump? From the one picture it's looks very close. If it is, the water won't be able to flow out of the body freely and would back up in the pipe and dribble out the small hole. A possibility?

Old 04/27/2014, 01:21 PM   #1815
loweryster
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnitzelReef View Post
What's your reason for raising the skimmer and lowering the watts? You think it will foam better?
A starting point to tune your skimmer. Also I would wait 1hr before making any other adjustments. Can you post some better pictures? Water height on the neck?

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93G Cube, 2 x Vortech MP40W, Bubble King Double Cone 180 / Mini RD3 DC Speedy Pump, Red Dragon 3 Mini Speedy 50w DC Return Pump, ATI 24 x 8 PM Hybrid , Apex, GHL 3 head doser, Zeovit system, Arctica 1/10 HP
Old 04/27/2014, 01:24 PM   #1816
loweryster
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesq View Post
How close is your outlet to the side of the sump? From the one picture it's looks very close. If it is, the water won't be able to flow out of the body freely and would back up in the pipe and dribble out the small hole. A possibility?

Agree, I would keep the exit at least 2" from any object.

Old 04/27/2014, 01:58 PM   #1817
moondoggy4
Registered Member

How bout just sending the skimmer back and have them give you a new one Let them play with fix it and re sell it. Klaus's new shop open next week in Florida.

moondoggy4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2014, 04:08 PM   #1818
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesq View Post

I actually thought the same thing, but when I moved it nothing changed.

Quote:
A starting point to tune your skimmer. Also I would wait 1hr before making any other adjustments. Can you post some better pictures? Water height on the neck?

That was right after I cleaned the collection cup, and turned it back on.

Quote:
Agree, I would keep the exit at least 2" from any object.

Ya when i adjust it, I usually wait a day to see how it acts. I know skimmers can take a long time to respond to a change.

Old 04/27/2014, 04:15 PM   #1819
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
How bout just sending the skimmer back and have them give you a new one Let them play with fix it and re sell it. Klaus's new shop open next week in Florida.

Ya if they offered to let me return it and upgrade to the Supermarin, I think I would def do it. I wanted a cone skimmer, because I was so happy with the performance from my SRO XP3000. But if this skimmer design isn't correct, I would much rather have the Supermarin, which I know is a proven design. I don't wanna be the guinea pig testing some new skimmer that doesn't work correctly.

Old 04/27/2014, 04:24 PM   #1820
Klaus Jansen
RC Sponsor

Hi,

please turn the white T-Pices a little bit more to the Pump... The T-Pices are not glued, itīs only clamped.... And turn the nozzle, counterclockwise a little bit more to the skimmer.. the nozzle is not glued, itīs fixed with a silicone O ring and clamped,..... the red teat is at about 2 clock, turning back on in about 10 clock. If water comes out at the entrance of the Red Pipe, is the silicone hose is too tight. Please make the hoses softer... Hope itīs helps...

best regards .. Klaus

Last edited by Klaus Jansen; 04/27/2014 at 04:30 PM.
Klaus Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2014, 04:43 PM   #1821
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi,

please turn the white T-Pices a little bit more to the Pump... The T-Pices are not glued, itīs only clamped.... And turn the nozzle, counterclockwise a little bit more to the skimmer.. the nozzle is not glued, itīs fixed with a silicone O ring and clamped,..... the red teat is at about 2 clock, turning back on in about 10 clock. If water comes out at the entrance of the Red Pipe, is the silicone hose is too tight. Please make the hoses softer... Hope itīs helps...

best regards .. Klaus

Ok. Any suggestion to why the skimmer is not producing good skimmate??

Old 04/27/2014, 04:56 PM   #1822
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Bubble King Skimmer Club

Quote:
Hi,

best regards .. Klaus

Ok so there is still some water coming out, but it doesn't sound like someone is peeing in the sump. So that's a big plus!

Does this look correct? If not can u post a picture of what it should look like?

The air hose is now pushing up, so when I adjust the wedge pipe it wants to come out. I guess I need to just tighten the set screw to keep it from coming out.

Ok so another issue is now the pump is sucking in close to the output of the skimmer. Is there any way to turn the pump so it sucks from the opposite side?

Old 04/27/2014, 05:00 PM   #1823
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi,

best regards .. Klaus

Where should I set the water level inside the skimmer? Does this look right?

Old 04/29/2014, 08:17 AM   #1824
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

That's a good setting as far as water level goes inside the skimmer. What wattage are you running the pump at with that setting?

Old 04/29/2014, 11:19 AM   #1825
Philster
Registered Member

Hi everyone, I've been dealing with Jeremy who has been more than accommodating with regards to a replacement motor block for my Mini 180 Gen II. On Monday February 25-2014 Jeremy advised me that the failure on my skimmer pump which was about 7 months old was indeed covered by warranty. I have been waiting patiently now since that date months ago and still we do not have a solid delivery date. Does anyone know what the real hold up is. I love this skimmer and I even went as far as to try and purchase a whole new Mini 180 but they are nowhere to be found with no solid ETA's available. I am in know way wanting to bash Bubble King as a company but what or where do I go from here? Do I give up? this surely isn't how Klause's customers are treated is it? Would love to hear some thoughts. Thanks folk's.

Phil.

Philster is offline   Reply With Quote