Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/09/2018, 11:20 PM   #1
nycjwi
Registered Member

Red Sea Coral Pro Salt

Can someone explain to me why anyone would use this salt? Assuming for most of us that the goal is to maintain alkalinity between 8-9 why would it ever make sense to use a product that is going to spike the alk up so high? In fact the goal should be to do a water change with no change in Alk at all since we are suppose to be maintaining consistent levels.
thx

nycjwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 11:24 PM   #2
Brieninsac
Registered Member

What salinity are you mixing at? I mix at 1.025 and I’m getting 9.5 dKH.

Unread 03/09/2018, 11:31 PM   #3
thegrun
Registered Member

It would be useful if you had a small tank and the spike in calcium and alkalinity was enough to keep up with demand to avoid dosing. In addition some reefers keep their alkalinity and calcium levels much higher to promote growth.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 12:55 AM   #4
BrettDS
Registered Member

Red Sea Coral Pro Salt

Keep in mind that the alkalinity is only going to go up a small bit assuming you are doing a small water change.

Say your alkalinity is at 8 dkh and you change 20% of the water with water that’s at 12 dkh. Your water will go up to 8.8. It’s a bit of a spike, but it’s not outrageous.

If you do small frequent water changes with this salt and have a reasonably low demand you may be able to keep up with your alkalinity demand just by doing water changes.

You wouldn’t want to do water changes with water at 0 dkh because that would bring down your alkalinity. If you really want keep things stable you should use water with alkalinity at exactly the same level as your tank.

BrettDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 02:00 AM   #5
jjencek
Registered Member

I am dosing ALK. CA, Mag and I had the same concern about the high Alk of the salt. That is why I switched to the "basic" Red Sea salt instead of the "Pro". That "basic" one matches my tank values more closely.

Any reason why it I should reconsider "Pro"?

jjencek is offline   Reply With Quote