Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/17/2007, 07:13 AM   #101
reefworldaq
Registered Member

Amazing tank. You use the pvc rack to live rock, is it trap the detritus in the bottom rock that contact to aquarium?
My tank like you, have BB tank and alot of wave. Why my coral not have deep colour but the lightening colour. Is it true if we feed more to fish or coral will have deep colour? Because my PO4 is lower than you about <0,01 ppm (tropic marine).

reefworldaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2007, 08:38 PM   #102
Fernando Chang
Registered Member

Dear Mr. Kai Leung (fastfish) !

I am still very impressed with yr reef aquarium the balance you have between the SPS corals and the fishes !! Unfortunately here in Panama we do not have the access to purchase the SPS corals only soft corals ! There is only one pet store in my country that sell every month or so marine fishes and some soft corals despite I have asked them to bring the SPS to Panama.
I am under the impression that the SPS corals is more easy to maintain than the soft corals. I would like to try to keep SPS.

Regards
Fernando Chang

Current Tank Info: 60''L x 24''W x 27''H with a 75 glns sump with no sand nor caulerpa only water but containing: phosphate removal reactor, carbon reactor, biopelets chamber. Have installed P. Skimmer Octopus Super Reef EXT5000 , Chiller 1HP.
Fernando Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2007, 09:23 PM   #103
SCIFI_3D_zoo
Registered Member

Maybe LiveAquaria.com will ship to Panama?

SCIFI_3D_zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2007, 01:01 AM   #104
Floop70
Premium Member

That is one beautiful tank! I can only hope that one day I'll be able to have a setup half that nice! Congrats and thanks for sharing it with us.

Bruce

Floop70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2007, 06:34 AM   #105
fastfish
Premium Member

markreefer - Thanks! Most of the live rocks in my tank are positioned above the PVC docking stations, only a few pieces of live rocks on the right hand side sits directly on the bottom of the acrylic, because I try to minimize the restriction of flow at the bottom. The picture in the TOTM article only shows the rocks that rest above the PVC docking stations, there are about 300lbs of live rocks in the tank. The bottom part of the tank is not covered, there is only a tiny amount of coralline algae at the bottom, but it is not very noticeable, since the corals are covering most of the space.

plancton - The 2 T5s that I am using are doing a pretty good job at creating the dawn and dusk effect, I mainly use this effect for my fish. I don't want to shock the fish when the metal halide turns off and the tank goes completely dark. The T5s are setup to point diagonally towards the back.

pattykat9 - Thank you very much! I am glad you like it.

FVernese - Thanks! I don't directly feed my corals, I only feed the fish in my system, I believe the corals can receive enough food from the water column with the appropriate amount of lighting.

LuvAngels88 - Thanks a lot!

Reefaquariumnut - Thanks for your kind words!

tfp - Thanks so much! I don't use any carbon for my system, I only run RowaPhos in the Deltec FR509 fluidized reactor.

reefworldaq - Thank you! The two penductors are shooting heavy flow directly to the bottom of the tank, so almost no detritus can settle at the bottom, except the corner where the detritus are intentionally directed at.

Fernando Chang - Thanks a lot! There are many different approaches in keeping corals, it only depends on which method is more suitable for your system.

SCIFI_3D_zoo - Thanks!

Floop70 - Thanks! It was my pleasure to share my tank with other hobbyists.

fastfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2007, 08:01 AM   #106
tryingsalt
Registered Member

FatFish very nice.. How do you keep you tangs so healthy looking and keep your PO down. I'm always fighting high PO levels. How do you keep them low?

75gal Reef

Current Tank Info: 75g reef ,30g FOWLR
tryingsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2007, 12:05 AM   #107
plancton
Registered Member

What do you think is the main reason for the amazing coloration in your tank?

Unread 12/19/2007, 12:05 AM   #108
plancton
Registered Member

What do you think is the main reason for the amazing coloration in your tank?

Unread 12/19/2007, 01:38 PM   #109
lesleybird
Registered Member

Wow! You should contact one of the saltwater fish magazines as I am sure they would publish pictures and a story about you and your beautiful tank! I thought a lot of those fish eat corals? or do they only eat soft corals? Maybe they leave them alone because you feed so often. Don't know as I only do fish only with a couple of large angelfish. Beautiful! Lesley

lesleybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2007, 02:11 PM   #110
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by lesleybird
Wow! You should contact one of the saltwater fish magazines as I am sure they would publish pictures and a story about you and your beautiful tank! I thought a lot of those fish eat corals? or do they only eat soft corals? Maybe they leave them alone because you feed so often. Don't know as I only do fish only with a couple of large angelfish. Beautiful! Lesley
While I know you mean in a print magazine, Reefkeeping Online is an excellent e-magazine that is published monthly and has been out for years. It is a huge honor for his tank to be featured in it.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2007, 02:22 PM   #111
Jason McK
Registered Member

Fastfish. It is always a pleasure to see pictures of your wonderful Reef. It's truly a work of living art and TOTM is an honour truly deserved. Congratulations

Jason

Jason McK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2007, 04:55 PM   #112
agent007
Registered Member

Fantastic tank and thank you for the details on the theory and setup of your tank.

I am interested in getting a Kole Tang for my tank but worry about the amount of detrius that it can put into the tank. What
do you feed them? I also read that Tangs can be Ich magnets.
Have you had any issues with your Kole Tang?

agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2007, 10:26 PM   #113
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

Fastfish- AMAZING! This is one of the finest reefs I have ever layed eyes on!

Make your animals Thrive, not just Survive.

Last edited by stunreefer; 12/20/2007 at 11:03 PM.
stunreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2007, 08:03 AM   #114
JennyL
Registered Member

Congratulations fastfish, an honor well deserved. What a stunning tank!

Current Tank Info: 125 & 70 g Reefs- 9 Seahorse tanks
JennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2007, 12:59 PM   #115
zemuron114
Moved On

beautiful tank! What a great selection of fish. Does the scribbled angel nip at anything?? IME they tend to love meaty corals (clams, brains etc) just wondering if you have seen anything with the SPS.

nicely done

zemuron114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2007, 07:59 PM   #116
RobynT
Moved On

I always read about each months TOTM but this is the first time I've felt I had to add to the kudo's and tell you how truly beautiful I think your reef tank and fish are. I also was happy to see that you feed them so often (although not in great quantity.) I feel that I am my fishes and inverts caretaker and it's my obligation to keep them well fed and healthy. I'm glad to see that you do too. Fantastic tank and pictures!!

RobynT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2007, 11:02 AM   #117
Reef Happy
Registered Member

WOW. Simply amazing is all I can say...
Thank you for sharing. Very inspiring...

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone"
Ronald Reagan

(Eagles) LIFE'S BEEN GOOD

Current Tank Info: 300 Gal starfire Reef Tank, SPS, LPS and zoas, 3-LumenMax MH fixtures driven by 250 watt icecap's and Radium bulbs, 2-Tunze 6105 controllable pumps with 7095 multi controller, 100 gal sump/refugium... 100 gal tank with T-5's
Reef Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2007, 11:20 AM   #118
reefarchitect
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fastfish
[B]markreefer - Thanks! Most of the live rocks in my tank are positioned above the PVC docking stations, only a few pieces of live rocks on the right hand side sits directly on the bottom of the acrylic, because I try to minimize the restriction of flow at the bottom. The picture in the TOTM article only shows the rocks that rest above the PVC docking stations, there are about 300lbs of live rocks in the tank. The bottom part of the tank is not covered, there is only a tiny amount of coralline algae at the bottom, but it is not very noticeable, since the corals are covering most of the space.[QUOTE]

I just want to clarify the statement above. The PVC racks are placed directly on the bottom pane of the aquarium? I currently have a BB setup w/starboard. The starboard actually traps detritus between it and the glass. I am considering taking the starboard out and using a rack system like the one you built placed directly on the glass.

Thank you for any feedback and as stated numerous times before, gorgeous tank.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gal mixed reef
reefarchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2007, 01:08 PM   #119
animaldoc1
Registered Member

I am truely inspired by the coloration in your tank. The dedication to this hobby that you have shown is amazing. I am glad to see someone keeping fish with SPS and making it very very successful. Keep up the hard work. We are all trying to follow in your footsteps.

Jen

Still hoping to make tank diving an olympic sport

Current Tank Info: 175 bowfront reef, 29 g reef
animaldoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2008, 12:17 AM   #120
Carnavor180
Moved On

longnose filefish

Wow it wood be sweet to put two longnose filelish in there, they wouldnt do much damage grazing on the sps eather.

Carnavor180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2008, 07:12 AM   #121
johnmwolfe
Registered Member

very nice. Congrats.

johnmwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2008, 09:53 PM   #122
carlosngloria
Registered Member

In what order did you put the tangs into your system. i have a 4" powder brown in my 65g now and a 3" powder blue in qt, i would also like to get an achilies when i set-up my 210, so if you could help me out a little by giving me some info on how you got them in there and what did you do to prevent aggresion, thanks

also what order did you put the angels in mainly the regal and majestic.

also that is a very nice tank

carlosngloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2008, 05:33 PM   #123
HaroldT
Registered Member

What a really nice tank. You should be very proud.

HaroldT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2008, 06:05 AM   #124
Briankook
Registered Member

Fastfish, your tank is very nice. The colors are among the best I have ever seen.

I have an eductor fed by my return pump. I had to drill 2 holes just under the water line in case I lose power, the siphon will break and my sump will not overflow. How do you remedy this problem with your setup? The reason I ask is because drilling the hole causes the eductor/penductor to lose their capabilities.

Thanks!

-Brian

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon BB in wall..., 250 lbs.LR, 65 gallon fuge, 3,400W 10K XM Halides, 4, 160W VHO's on pulleys, Deltec 902 skimmer w/ozone, MAXCAP RODI autotopoff, 3 Tunzes & 1 Vortech

Last edited by Briankook; 01/05/2008 at 06:36 AM.
Briankook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2008, 10:56 AM   #125
Skipper
Registered Member

Testing... trying to fix a "stuck" thread.