Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/22/2017, 04:00 PM   #51
pfan151
Registered Member

Yea. Looks like that one may be too far gone. Still tough to tell on the colors. What location were they from on liveaquaria’s site?

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2017, 09:00 PM   #52
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Yea. Looks like that one may be too far gone. Still tough to tell on the colors. What location were they from on liveaquaria’s site?

So far the one on the left is likely to survive, the one in the middle is questionable, and the one on the right likely won't make it. I ordered these anemones through my LFS, I didn't order them from LA. A little disappointed in the shape they were in after shipping, I've seen mags come in mad, but these were beyond ticked.

Gig 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2017, 10:15 AM   #53
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Well seems like this one was too far gone. Already melting away. Hopefully I can turn the other two around...

Unread 12/24/2017, 05:29 PM   #54
Jamie1210
Registered Member

Aww, sorry to hear. Well, you've still got 2 more. Rootin' for ya here!

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Jamie1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2017, 01:06 PM   #55
Gig 'em
Registered Member

I don't want to jinx myself, but I believe the other two are in the clear at this point. Both look good, tight mouths, and no deflating. I think the one that died shortly after starting treatment was just too far gone. That's the unfortunate part about getting them in unknown condition, you have no clue if they had been struggling before even being shipped. Still can't complain about 2/3 success rate this round

Unread 12/27/2017, 09:05 AM   #56
Gig 'em
Registered Member

One more days and mags will be graduated to the QT tank to heal and recover!

Unread 12/27/2017, 04:17 PM   #57
Kinetic
Registered Member

We need pictures!

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2017, 03:54 PM   #58
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Graduation day!

Now to recover for a few months...

Unread 12/29/2017, 05:33 PM   #59
Kinetic
Registered Member

they look great! How big are they?

Unread 12/30/2017, 02:07 AM   #60
Jeff000
Electrician

You are really really making me want to set up a couple tanks and see if I can order a few in. But in Canada they ship especially terribly. But I know so many people that want one!

Jeff000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2017, 11:37 AM   #61
Gig 'em
Registered Member

The bigger one is about 9" and the smaller is about 6". Green is starting to return to their tentacles

Unread 01/14/2018, 05:38 PM   #62
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Picture update with some whites on. Both mags are looking healthy and coloring up very nicely! Looking to get in another round soon.

Unread 01/21/2018, 06:02 PM   #63
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Well I'm at a loss here. Both anemones were doing well for almost a month, and then suddenly and out of nowhere the medium one started showing lesions around the mouth. I took it out and started another round cipro last week. Whatever is wrong with it is not being improved by cipro treatment. Possibly viral infection or some other systematic failure? This has happened to me before with a purple and green mag, it was fine for months and then POOF! Started going downhill and could never be successfully treated. Very unfortunate really. I imagine it will be dead by the end of the week. The larger one has been put in treatment too and is now starting to go downhill.

Unread 01/21/2018, 06:04 PM   #64
Jamie1210
Registered Member

Oh no! Reminds me of what happened to mine. Went through cipro with flying colors but after a few months in dt, just went downhill. So sorry to hear.

Unread 01/21/2018, 09:21 PM   #65
pfan151
Registered Member

Wow. Depressing to see

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 10:01 AM   #66
Gig 'em
Registered Member

I've been out of town for a few days for work and came home to the medium anemone dead in its tank. The larger one is alive, but hasn't improved. I'm going to change my treatment strategy and try a different technique since cipro doesn't seem to be working. I have two more mags arriving today from a different vendor, hopefully they will have better results. If not I may consider throwing in the towel on this venture of mine.

Unread 01/25/2018, 02:08 PM   #67
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig 'em View Post
I've been out of town for a few days for work and came home to the medium anemone dead in its tank. The larger one is alive, but hasn't improved. I'm going to change my treatment strategy and try a different technique since cipro doesn't seem to be working. I have two more mags arriving today from a different vendor, hopefully they will have better results. If not I may consider throwing in the towel on this venture of mine.
OMG don't give up Gig'em! The (reefing) world needs you!

Unread 01/25/2018, 02:27 PM   #68
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
OMG don't give up Gig'em! The (reefing) world needs you!

Well the good news is the two mags I received today look to be in better shape than the last order. So there's hope for my morale yet with this round. Going to change up my strategy and try something new with these guys to see if I can get improved results. Pictures to follow

Unread 01/26/2018, 10:39 AM   #69
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Mags have acclimated well and look good so far. Not the most amazing colors, but maybe that will change over time.

Unread 01/26/2018, 12:45 PM   #70
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Visited a friends house today who I sold one of my mags too. It's good to remind myself of the success stories

Unread 01/27/2018, 12:34 AM   #71
Jamie1210
Registered Member

Don't give up! You've been doing so well with the project so far, don't let this setback get you down. As shown from the pic you last posted, it's very rewarding when the mag pulls through!

Unread 01/27/2018, 07:18 AM   #72
THEUNION1
Registered Member

Are they being fed along with the long process of acclimation?

THEUNION1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2018, 08:22 AM   #73
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEUNION1 View Post
Are they being fed along with the long process of acclimation?

Thank you for the encouraging replies everyone!

No, I typically don't feed them during acclimating. In my experience feeding them during this stage leading to the best results.

Unread 01/27/2018, 12:55 PM   #74
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig 'em View Post
Thank you for the encouraging replies everyone!

No, I typically don't feed them during acclimating. In my experience feeding them during this stage leading to the best results.

Hey Gig, do you have a step by step instructions for your treatment plan? I have my first ever mag coming in on Tuesday and I a have been reading up on the treatment/acc process but still have quite a few questions. Like why type of lights are best to use, light cycle, and most importantly I've read that people are making the water and then letting it sit for at least 24 hours prior to use in the qt tank.. I just want to clarify that this is newly made saltwater and not water form the DT..? Thanks a ton in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BClute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2018, 02:21 PM   #75
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BClute View Post
Hey Gig, do you have a step by step instructions for your treatment plan? I have my first ever mag coming in on Tuesday and I a have been reading up on the treatment/acc process but still have quite a few questions. Like why type of lights are best to use, light cycle, and most importantly I've read that people are making the water and then letting it sit for at least 24 hours prior to use in the qt tank.. I just want to clarify that this is newly made saltwater and not water form the DT..? Thanks a ton in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a set up in my fish room with layers of QT and treatment tanks. New mags come in and start in the bottom tanks where the light is the lowest. I move them up as time goes on to acclimate them to higher light conditions. I use a mix of water from a 50 gallon reservoir that has been mixed for a couple of days and water from my DT tank. I like water from the DT because I think adding back some mature cycled water is helpful. This is just a theory and I haven't tested it yet vs. brand new water. I do water changes every day, 250 mg cipro unless the anemone is showing high signs of distress, then 500 mg, but typically that doesn't seem to make a difference. Seems like when cipro isn't helping, no higher concentration of cipro will. Just my own opinion from personal experience. I keep the whole fish room around 80 deg and the tanks with good oxygenation and water flow. Lights are Ocean Revive LEDs.