Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2021, 01:49 PM   #1
afish70
Registered Member

New grow out tank set up question

I just purchased an Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon that i plan in using as a grow out/frag tank next to my current main display. My plan was to tank like 15-20 gallons of water from main display then add the remaining to fill up tank with new fresh salt water. I was planning on going bare bottom and then put in a few new pieces of rock. My thought was I would still need to add something like Dr Tim's One & Only and Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride. I was thinking the cycle would probably take like 2 weeks if I follow the Dr Tim's method. Does that sound right? Am I missing something? Kindly advise.

afish70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2021, 10:43 AM   #2
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

i've used a bunch of the bacteria in a bottle stuff, including Dr. Tim's and haven't seen any speed increase in cycling. honestly i've come to believe those products are all junk.

i would use old or new water. move over your rocks, and expect a small cycle.

conversely, you could always avoid a cycle by tying them to a shared sump, and just bringing the new tank online instead of doing a water change some week.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote