Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/08/2021, 04:46 PM   #1
barnaby416
Registered Member

Angry Would you accept a new tank with leaky overflow?

Ordered a new tank from my LFS and when it arrived at my home, I found water leaking at the bottom of the overflow box:
https://www.quinceton.com/public/LeakyTank1.mp4

So the store owner filed a warranty claim and the distributor ordered a new one from the factory. This time the LFS tested it before delivering to my home and it has the same problem:
https://www.quinceton.com/public/LeakyTank2.mp4

The distributor is saying the leak in that section does not affect the performance of the tank. I am thinking of cancelling the order and buy another brand, but it will be a hard fight with the distributor/manufacturer. Any suggestion?

barnaby416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2021, 05:28 PM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

When all is said & done the leak will be internal only.
Because it will be in a box with continuous flow & water will seek it's own level I have to agree it will have little effect on operation of the tank.
You could always ask the store to seal the bottom of the overflow box, as long as you are not going bare bottom.
In the end it is your decision.

Unread 01/08/2021, 06:24 PM   #3
deaclauderdale
Lover of Fishies

I’d say no if it was me. I’d also question the overall integrity of the tank itself as well given the leaky seems on the overflow. Again that’s just me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 70 reef tank, 2 Gen 2 Radions, BM Curve7 Skimmer
deaclauderdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2021, 08:21 PM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

I agree with that with the following proviso: a water leak underwater is a small problem. I have to ask what in all reason prevents them gluing down an overflow box, but if you can check the integrity of all glass to glass glue, it should be ok--- but quel pain!

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2021, 08:33 PM   #5
barnaby416
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
You could always ask the store to seal the bottom of the overflow box, as long as you are not going bare bottom.
In the end it is your decision.
I'll setting it up as a BB tank, any particular reasons why gluing the overflow is not good for BB setup?

I do agree that a small leak in the overflow is not too big of a concern, but more importantly, I have doubt on the quality and QC of the company's product where two consecutive tanks have the same issues.

Unread 01/08/2021, 09:50 PM   #6
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaclauderdale View Post
I’d say no if it was me. I’d also question the overall integrity of the tank itself as well given the leaky seems on the overflow. Again that’s just me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That right there is what I am talking about! If the over flow box was put in with that much lack of attention to detail, what else did they do shoddy during the assembly of the rest of the tank. What would a catastrophic tank failure cost me if one of the seams lets go a few months down the road? How much of my live stock would I loose and how much would it cost me to replace it? How much damage would several buckets of salt water rushing across the room in a tidal wave do to my home?

If they cant provide a quality product...Id take my money else where, per chance it might be more appreciated by one of their competitors! Helen Keller couldnt see it and neither can I. Things in this hobby are too expensive to be taking chances on.

Imaexpat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2021, 08:45 AM   #7
Timfish
Registered Member

I too would question the workmanship irregardless if this particular leak is inconsequential to operation of the system.

Unread 01/10/2021, 11:32 AM   #8
wtac
Registered Member

For a new aquarium ,there should be NO leaks...period...end of...

If it leaks from the bottom of the overflow box, depending on the height of the drain stand pipes, you have to account for that volume for sump size and max/min running level as well as a completed system off for the "running retentive volume" or redo the silicone seam. Fine for a 2nd hand aquarium but not brand new from the LFS.

Whomever the aqm mfg is, this is just a poor excuse.

wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2021, 01:13 PM   #9
barnaby416
Registered Member

I see no point in asking for a third tank and want to cancel the order. My LFS told me the distributor offers to fix the leak, but I have to contact the manufacturer directly if I want to return the tank. Well the guy at the manufacturer just ignored my email, and with buckets of water and live rocks all over my place, I just don't want to drag on forever.

At the end of the day, the LFS fixed the leak, and the distributor gave me a small refund. I am filling the tank as I type, it looks good but the experience leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I know what not to buy the next time I upgrade.

Unread 01/17/2021, 01:23 PM   #10
Sk8r
RC Mod

I have a philosophy about leaks: if it's inside the tank and underwater, no problem. If it's seep from a brand new bulkhead gasket, wrap a cloth around it and wait for calcium carbonate to seal it in a few days---and if it's leaking outside the tank or a seam looking iffy, I freak. Glad you have it to your satisfaction: may it give you long and pleasant service.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2021, 01:30 PM   #11
Gangous
Registered Member

I might not understand but if ur internal overflow box is leaking what happens if ur pump dies will it maintain the water level to keep ur sump from over flowing ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gangous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2021, 01:32 PM   #12
Gangous
Registered Member

Tank manufacturers r the worst if I ever have another tank build I will 100 % have a conversation up front about my expectations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gangous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak leaking overflow