SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2017, 01:19 PM   #102
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Off to a great start Brandon, water weld is twice the price of aquarium putty in Aus so isn't a cheap DIY alternative like the hardware plumbing putty i use made by Selley's. I assume you use it because it's as cheap as aquarium brands ?

Btw, i forgot to say earlier - love the pic of you and your son at the frag meet mate
Thanks. It's cheaper than aquarium putty locally. I'll look up the stuff you use and see if we can get it here.

Thank you. He really enjoys being around fish tanks.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2017, 01:36 PM   #103
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
looks good Brandon!

What is that blue milli?? looks really nice
Thank you. It's Palmers blue.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Unread 10/01/2017, 01:01 AM   #104
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Wooooo starting to get real fun now!!

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2017, 06:42 AM   #105
reefmutt
Registered Member

Nice Brandon, let the growth begin!
Is that urchin still mowing his way through the algae?

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2017, 09:07 PM   #106
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Wooooo starting to get real fun now!!
It is. I find myself staring at the tank now and drowning out my wife the TV and son!
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Nice Brandon, let the growth begin!
Is that urchin still mowing his way through the algae?
Thank you. I have had some recent issues and some corals have stalled while others are booming. That urchin is one of the best reef purchases I've made. My family and everyone that comes over always gravitate to looking at it. Thank you for the great suggestion.

The algae is drying up so to speak. I finally have what I feel to be sufficient flow and that is making good changes through out the system. I have 6 mp40s running on different setting and flow rates through out the day. I am planing on changing it up a bit too as I've been tinkering with them and have a couple of patterns I really like. Now I just need to implement them.

Unread 10/04/2017, 11:11 AM   #107
Pife
Registered Member

I've had a series of small issues that have been holding my tank back the last 30 to 60 days. I've had several pieces Stn that have disappointed me a bunch.

1. Found my salinity to be 1.022

The cause was a leaking needle wheel pump on my skimmer. I had noticed an up tick in top off water being used but I didn't really think about it because of the frag swap I was preparing for.

2. Low calcium

This was very weird. I noticed that my ph was finally getting back to normal after several months of being low. After tracking it for about a week I noticed the ph in my calcium reactor was going lower and lower. I figured that my co2 was out so I went about changing out. When I looked at the gauge it was still reading full. I was perplexed and decided to grab a beer and look at the situation from a different stand point. So I'm standing there staring at my calcium reactor when I noticed I wasn't getting very much co2 released in the sight glass and it was filled with I'm assuming calcium carbonate sludge. I had to tear the sight glass apart and clean it all out. The co2 tube was almost completely blocked.

3. Alk being maintained

Somehow my alkalinity was maintained while the calcium reactor was messing up. Come to find out somehow my alkalinity dosing pump was in automatic mode on my apex. I have no idea how this happened but I removed the jug of alkalinity to solve this issue from happening again.

Now I'm still bringing up the calcium and salinity. I hope getting everything back inline will really give my system the boost it needs.

Unread 10/04/2017, 11:20 AM   #108
Wandering
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
I've had a series of small issues that have been holding my tank back the last 30 to 60 days. I've had several pieces Stn that have disappointed me a bunch.

1. Found my salinity to be 1.022

The cause was a leaking needle wheel pump on my skimmer. I had noticed an up tick in top off water being used but I didn't really think about it because of the frag swap I was preparing for.

2. Low calcium

This was very weird. I noticed that my ph was finally getting back to normal after several months of being low. After tracking it for about a week I noticed the ph in my calcium reactor was going lower and lower. I figured that my co2 was out so I went about changing out. When I looked at the gauge it was still reading full. I was perplexed and decided to grab a beer and look at the situation from a different stand point. So I'm standing there staring at my calcium reactor when I noticed I wasn't getting very much co2 released in the sight glass and it was filled with I'm assuming calcium carbonate sludge. I had to tear the sight glass apart and clean it all out. The co2 tube was almost completely blocked.

3. Alk being maintained

Somehow my alkalinity was maintained while the calcium reactor was messing up. Come to find out somehow my alkalinity dosing pump was in automatic mode on my apex. I have no idea how this happened but I removed the jug of alkalinity to solve this issue from happening again.

Now I'm still bringing up the calcium and salinity. I hope getting everything back inline will really give my system the boost it needs.

Did the leak from the skimmer pump cause any damage?

Wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 02:08 PM   #109
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
Did the leak from the skimmer pump cause any damage?
Damage to my home no. My sump and equipment is in the basement. Residual side effects to my sps collection yes. I lost one of if not my favorite frags. Purple Monster RIP. I have had another one cut and it's healing before shipping.

Unread 10/04/2017, 04:21 PM   #110
reefmutt
Registered Member

Man that suck!
It’s always something with these damn reef tanks!
So, you run a dosing pump for alkalinity only, on top of running a ca reactor?
Never seen that..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 10/04/2017, 04:59 PM   #111
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Man that suck!
It’s always something with these damn reef tanks!
So, you run a dosing pump for alkalinity only, on top of running a ca reactor?
Never seen that..
It is always something... Not normally. When I was starting the tank I used 2 part. Then I switched over to my calcium reactor. I left them installed and now use a channel for dosing vinegar. I fired the alk pump back up like 6 months ago to let my calcium and magnesium fall to NSW levels. I haven't used it in many months but somehow it got turned to auto in fusion.

I snapped a couple of pictures of the ultraviolet frag as it's getting the pearlescent back. I definitely can not capture the color good.

Unread 10/09/2017, 01:11 PM   #112
reefmutt
Registered Member

That piece is actually looking pretty good!

Unread 10/11/2017, 08:56 PM   #113
Pife
Registered Member

Something is going on with my reef and it isn't good. Almost burnt tips and polyps still on the acros. I will have my auto water change finished tomorrow so hopefully getting some fresh water will help. I might do a large water change also. All of my test look good so I'm kinda at a loss.

Nitrates 2.5
Phosphates .05
Alk 8
Calcium 415
Mag 1300
Salinity 1.025

I haven't changed anything except my calcium reactor a bit. I'm thinking this might be residual damage from my low calcium and low salinity. It really sucks because I am having a fish club get together next week and would have liked my system and corals to be in great condition.

Unread 10/13/2017, 12:37 PM   #114
reefmutt
Registered Member

Yeah, that does suck.... again! Sorry to hear..
Seems strange that you’d be getting burnt tips..
Got a pic or two?

Unread 10/13/2017, 06:22 PM   #115
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah, that does suck.... again! Sorry to hear..
Seems strange that you’d be getting burnt tips..
Got a pic or two?
Here are a few shots. Not very good ones but I think you can see what I'm talking about.

Unread 10/13/2017, 06:25 PM   #116
Pife
Registered Member

On a better note I finally got my DT lights mounted much better. I fabricated a bracket out of aluminum diamond plate so now the lights just slide in and out for easy cleaning and bulb replacement. I think I will add another bracket to add a piece of acrylic to keeps the lights themselves cleaner and then I can just have to remove the extra piece of acrylic to clean.

Unread 10/14/2017, 09:48 AM   #117
codydemmel4
Registered Member

that is a bummer to see. when I had an issue like that earlier this year. It turned out to be higher heavy metals and using RO/DI with TDS at 4 which I completely forgot to look at.

Once I changed filters and got TDS down to 0, did a couple of water changes everything bounced back. Hopefully it is something easy like that to fix.

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2017, 09:57 AM   #118
reefmutt
Registered Member

Yeah.. pretty weird looking. Almost looks like spots where dried salt fell on them or something.
Waterchanges never hurt..

Unread 10/14/2017, 08:26 PM   #119
Pife
Registered Member

Add I was making water up to fire up my litermeter for automatic water changes I mixed the water up to 1.033. This made me wonder about my systems salinity..... It was 1.031! Some how I may have added way too much salt when I was bringing the salinity up for my last debacle. I tested with my digital Milwaukee (great investment) and 2 other refactometers. I then tested them against my calibration fluid and feel really really dumb. I can't believe I did that.

Unread 10/15/2017, 11:00 AM   #120
reefmutt
Registered Member

Dumb.. yes.. a little. we have all been that dumb at one time or another. Some of us (me) more often than that!
I sure hope the salinity is the smoking gun!

Unread 10/16/2017, 08:28 AM   #121
Ucantwin
Registered Member

Any ph swing happen?

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 01:34 PM   #122
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
Any ph swing happen?
Nothing out of the ordinary.

Unread 10/24/2017, 01:55 PM   #123
Pife
Registered Member

I finally got around to dismantling my frag tank so that I could catch all the fish and put them in my display. It was quite the task removing all the coral. Only took around two hours total. At the end I get all the coral put back in and what do I see swimming around but my male leopard wrasse. Somehow I missed him. I need to go down there when it's time for the lights to go off and watch where he buries and grab them out of the sand. The anthias were still too shifty to catch so it looks like they get to stay in frag tank.

That's meteor shower covering the bottom of the frag rack!

I also scored a great deal on a super male flame wrasse.

Unread 10/24/2017, 03:53 PM   #124
RobSpeed13
Registered Member

well ill admit thats one great looking frag tank. can only imagine what the dt will look like when things start encrusting and growing.

RobSpeed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2017, 06:54 PM   #125
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Luuuurrrvvveee it I was going to give you so much grief if you didn't get that flame wrasse!! haha

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote