Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/15/2007, 01:48 PM   #1
toonces
Registered Member

military reefers

Hey all,
Like the occupation says, I'm in the Navy, stationed in beautiful Monterey.

I've been keeping aquariums my whole life, but have only been keeping 'reefs' for about 2002. Since that tank, I've moved 3 times: Iceland-Florida, Florida-D.C., D.C.-Monterey. I'll be moving again in about a year.

Each time I set up a reef tank, and each time I break it down and take a bit of a loss on the livestock and rock. I don't invest alot of money in the corals and fish because I know I'm going to have to break the tank down in about 2 years. So, I don't really grow anything big enough for it to be a money making proposition to own a reef tank.

At any rate, my current 60 gallon has a large aiptasia problem and I'm finding myself reluctant to invest any more money into the tank for shrimps or nudis or fish to take care of it, because I realize it's money down the drain probably. Lately I've been considering that this will likely be my last 'reef' tank until I get out, as it's just not worth the time and money to set up a tank that only lasts for a few years.

I'm curious what other military folks are doing for their aquarium keeping. Are you keeping reefs, fowlr, freshwater? Do you have a problem with investing in a tank that only stays up about 2 years at a time? Any tips on making your tank more portable and move friendly?

I'd like to open up a discussion with other folks in my situation.

See ya,
Toonces

toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2007, 01:52 PM   #2
toonces
Registered Member

Iceland tank:

D.C. tank:

Montery tank:

Florida tank was up to short to even get a pic.

toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2007, 02:10 PM   #3
hahnmeister
Moved On

Yeah, I just cant see keeping a reef tank if you have to move around alot like that. I wouldnt want to keep any aquarium for that matter... they are just a pain to lug around... plus all the equipment. If I had to itemize all my posessions when moving, Im sure 1/2 the list would be for reef stuff... easily. I mean, I have other interests as well... paintball (although I think I grew out of it, I still have a few markers laying around), the power tools, the computer stuff... but those take up a fraction of the space, and are very easy to prep for moving in comparison. If I got out of the hobby... I would gain back a good 20% of my living space... not that I need it for something else... but I would. And my total basement storage would most likely shrink by 1/2.

So I hear you.

In prep for moving in a year or so from now across the country, I already have a 300g Rubbermaid stock tank and a 8'x4'x1'h acrylic frag tank that I will most likely send down a few months before I move down. This way, I can have them established for a bit with sand and such, so I can just ship all the livestock/corals down at once, and anybody can unpack and put them in the new tank (nice and spread out, so finding a spot for everything is simple). Then, I can take apart/pack up the old tank (or just sell it locally and get a new main display down there), withoug having to worry about the livstock as well.

Having the ability to have a place available months before moving is a huge bonus... being able to do the prep work ahead of time really takes the stress off. But this does mean that you have to have a complete 2nd system on hand, ready to 'ship ahead'. IMO, its the only way to do it though.

hahnmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2007, 02:18 PM   #4
illal
Registered Member

you could always just do a nano that way you dont have as much of a loss but still enjoy the tank

Unread 10/15/2007, 02:19 PM   #5
hahnmeister
Moved On

Yeah, or a species tank. A 'pet angler' or 'pet mantis'.

hahnmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2007, 02:48 PM   #6
saltwater4life1
Registered Member

I am about to upgrade to a 55g and cross my fingers that my dad doesn't get orders, but he said we'll be here as long as we want since they are scared that if they give him orders he'll retire since he has been in over 20 years. But I've had my 20g going for over a year and just want more room so i though a 55g would be fun

Avatar is my 1969 Roadrunner, 512ci stroker in the works.
55gal Mixed reef but mostly sps :)
5.5gal Mantis shrimp reef tank

Current Tank Info: 55gal mixed reef, Lights: 4x54w T5, Filter: Octopus BH2000 skimmer, Flow: Over 3,000gph
saltwater4life1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2012, 12:19 PM   #7
soldier.1102
Registered Member

I am stationed at ft campbell myself. However I am fixing to deploy for a while and then Move somewhere after. I only have a 55g with a canister filter dang it. I am under the impression my filter is the reason i am such poor luck with coral. I am wanting to upgrade when I get back to 120g with a beautiful SUMP! Any recommendations and tips would be greatly appreciated.

soldier.1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Mouse
UnRegistered Member

Cant you set up some kind of 'community tank'? As I recall (so many years ago) the military had various locations on base for community activities, and was very accomidating to space and even funds for such groups. Why not start a reef club with 'branches' at each base?

Current Tank Info: 125g > < this close to being set up
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2012, 02:25 PM   #9
soldier.1102
Registered Member

i will look around but i am pretty sure campbell does not

soldier.1102 is offline   Reply With Quote