Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2018, 08:05 PM   #1
Valentini89
Registered Member

Ugh.. lighting options?

So now that I have my new tank, I thought I had lights picked out but my budget is a bit lower than I thought. So what are my options for lighting a 48*24*30t tank (full 30" penetration) in the $300-500 range? I could maybe get one light to start with if I need two and they are more than $500 each. I only have about 6" under the canopy to work within, and it's a short hinge door (opens upward on top of the canopy) so I have plenty of room to mount lights either to the back of the canopy or the top.
I want to have a mixed reef, probably soft and lps dominant. Haven't really done that much research into corals but I'm trying to read up all I can here.
I initially thought "mars aqua" or "viperspectra" but they are rated for only 24" deep. Thanks in advance. (Tank pic in signature)

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 08:41 PM   #2
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

If you want good PAR on the sand bed then MH or T5 is your only option. 250w MH would have good PAR at 30" for a softy lps tank. A 4-6 bulb T5 HO would do as well but new would be outside your budget. I would point you to the for sale forum to look for a used light fixture. LED just does not have the depth penetration yet.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 04:33 AM   #3
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Many of the reef lights available give a rating down to 24". Doesn't mean they aren't effective down to 30". Simply the PAR will drop off. Your aquascape and coral placement could easily place higher light requiring coral higher up (within the spec range of fixtures you've already researched) in the tank.

The tricky part is going to be mounting them in your canopy. You say you only have about 6" between the water line and the top of the canopy. Considering your cost it's gonna be tough to find a slim fixture, as opposed to an affordable black box. The used section has some great options from time to time. They tend to go pretty fast so snagging one can be a challenge.

Check the BRS reviews on YouTube. Many of the mounting heights are 8" or 10" or more.

Unread 03/22/2018, 02:26 PM   #4
Valentini89
Registered Member

Thanks

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 04:45 PM   #5
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Ocean Revive T 247 would do the job. You might have to cut a hole or 2 for the fans though.