Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/17/2014, 04:15 PM   #451
chipchip
Registered Member

Wow this guy has some awesome fish in his tank! That looks really cool with all these anampses in the tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF2SW...e_gdata_player

chipchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2014, 09:25 PM   #452
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

very nice for sure !

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2014, 10:16 PM   #453
bobkill
reefer

That's a awesome fish list

Unread 02/23/2014, 10:27 PM   #454
RayL
Registered Member

I love how the pair are together at all times. Beautiful fish

RayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2014, 04:11 PM   #455
kmbyrnes
Registered Member

I had a Melanurus that was always out, but she broke her jaw and slowly wasted away.

I've had my yellow tail tamarin in my DT for 3 weeks now. She's eating well, but still hides quite a bit.
She wakes up for the early AM feeding and I may see her once or twice during the day, but after about 5o PM she is off to bed.
Will she ever stay awake longer?

Current Tank Info: Too small
kmbyrnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2014, 04:26 PM   #456
CedzAquAddictio
Registered Member

Give her time to adjust to your light schedule...

I tried forcing mine by covering the tank (to block all light) until my tank lights came on. I was worried that she wouldn't get enough to eat since she is out while I'm at work, and sleep when I get home to feed. When I covered the tank, she went into the sandbed, and never returned...

Believe it or not, they can smell the food when you feed your tank, and I've had some wrasse that were bedded down for the day come out and feed. They will slowly learn the feeding schedule, and light schedule...

CedzAquAddictio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2014, 01:00 PM   #457
MIKE NY
Two Decade club

I added my Blue Dot to the DT the other night right before lights out and it ate right away...it did get chased alittle bit by the much larger yellow tail, but no nipping...the next morning it was out not being bother any longer and doing fine eating etc...a QT/acclimation tank is a must for these guys to get them eating and healthy before introducing them into the DT....

Current Tank Info: 170 gal Reef, 20 gal frag/reef,90 gal fuge, 65 gal sump, 2-250 Radiums on Hamilton M80 HQIs, T5 actincs, Vertex in280 skimmer, MRC-2 Cal Reactor, Reeflo return pump
MIKE NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2014, 01:53 PM   #458
CedzAquAddictio
Registered Member

My Potters was added to the DT a few days ago as well (that's him in my avatar). I had no aggression at all since my QT tank sits directly next to my DT, and the fish were in constant eye contact from the very start. Kind of a virtual acclimation box effect, I guess...

Completely agreed about using the QT to get them eating well before having to compete for food.

Unread 02/26/2014, 08:41 PM   #459
h0bite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipchip View Post
Wow this guy has some awesome fish in his tank! That looks really cool with all these anampses in the tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF2SW...e_gdata_player
That a beautiful tank...but now closed.
Luc Doyen from Belgium was the owner....jawsee on this forum

Look at this!
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2024237

Unread 03/16/2014, 12:35 PM   #460
kmbyrnes
Registered Member

My Tamarin is still on Eastern ( or Red Sea ) Time.
Out at 4:30 AM and in bed by 2:00 PM Arizona time, but she is doing awesome.
Funny to hear her jaw clicks when she nips at something by the glass.

Current Tank Info: Too small
kmbyrnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2014, 01:34 PM   #461
bobkill
reefer

Yea they have clicky bits - great pics

Unread 03/16/2014, 06:14 PM   #462
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

just be careful with the yellow tail as they really are not reef safe . I have had a few and most never nipped at anything coral wise but I did get one that was about 5" and he was devastating to my corals . I had to pull him out within a couple of days as he went wild on my LPS corals so just keep an eye on him . many times it depends on what they have learned in the wild and bring to your home . also if he does get destructive all your other wrasses will quickly learn from him and it can be very chaotic to say the least . Beautiful fish there and thanks for sharing !

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
Unread 03/17/2014, 08:10 AM   #463
HiImSean
Registered Member

I'm hoping you guys can give a little more experiences with A. neoguinaicus. A LFS near by has one and said they can get more in. I'm passing for now since I'm going to be traveling a couple times in the next few weeks for work. Theirs is about 3", nice and fat, and supposedly eating well. Would it be better to get a larger one or try ordering some smaller ones from LA? I know they don't ship well so I would imagine getting my LFS to get it would be more ideal. Their 3" is $80 while LA has been having them regularly for $30.

Also is LA correct about their size, getting to 9"? From the few threads/posts I've seen about them it seems like they don't get that large.

HiImSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2014, 06:56 PM   #464
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

I have a couple at the store right now that are doing great but pleases do be aware of that $80 price tag as that's really up there IME. your LFS probably gets them from LA anyway so I would get them from dr. fosters and smith or blue zoo as they both have a good warranty you may have to start them on live brine like many of the wrasses but I have mine eating pellets already after just a week and a half.
best wishes

Dave

Unread 03/17/2014, 07:30 PM   #465
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiImSean View Post
I'm hoping you guys can give a little more experiences with A. neoguinaicus. A LFS near by has one and said they can get more in. I'm passing for now since I'm going to be traveling a couple times in the next few weeks for work. Theirs is about 3", nice and fat, and supposedly eating well. Would it be better to get a larger one or try ordering some smaller ones from LA? I know they don't ship well so I would imagine getting my LFS to get it would be more ideal. Their 3" is $80 while LA has been having them regularly for $30.

Also is LA correct about their size, getting to 9"? From the few threads/posts I've seen about them it seems like they don't get that large.

don't leave that lfs with the fish until you see it eat...I would put it in a QT system like I had my Yellow Breasted...for 2-4 weeks (with some fine sand and a pvc pipe...powerhead, etc...

THE PAIR in display tank!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2948_resize.jpg (18.4 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2901_resize.jpg (55.1 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3218_resize.jpg (60.0 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3214_resize.jpg (55.0 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3195_resize.jpg (71.0 KB, 299 views)

Last edited by Ralph ATL; 03/17/2014 at 08:07 PM.
Ralph ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2014, 09:13 PM   #466
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE FOUND OUT THROUGH 35+ YEARS WITH LEOPARD WRASSES AND QT VS DT's..........Although QT do have there place in our hobby ,most leopard and tamarin wrasses do not fair out very well in a QT . You will have close to an 80% to 90% survival rate if you introduce them directly into your DT . If you put them into a QT your survival rate will be much lower like 20% unless your QT is decorated much like your DT .You will need live rock , live sand 2"-3" deep and the QT will need to be pre cycled in order for a better survival rate . if you spatter some live sand and a couple of PVC pieces about then you will be down around the 20% survival rate as above mentioned .if you decorate ,cycle , and have live rock in your QT then you will be in the 70% range .

Dave

Unread 03/17/2014, 10:12 PM   #467
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwrasseman View Post
THIS IS WHAT I HAVE FOUND OUT THROUGH 35+ YEARS WITH LEOPARD WRASSES AND QT VS DT's..........Although QT do have there place in our hobby ,most leopard and tamarin wrasses do not fair out very well in a QT . You will have close to an 80% to 90% survival rate if you introduce them directly into your DT . If you put them into a QT your survival rate will be much lower like 20% unless your QT is decorated much like your DT .You will need live rock , live sand 2"-3" deep and the QT will need to be pre cycled in order for a better survival rate . if you spatter some live sand and a couple of PVC pieces about then you will be down around the 20% survival rate as above mentioned .if you decorate ,cycle , and have live rock in your QT then you will be in the 70% range .

This is where we now disagree. I listened to your advice about no Qt...Successful, but not % high enough...Lost too many fish..
60-80%

QT success is 100%

It's amazing because they have no competitors so you can insure that they eat and you can feed them 12-14 times a day...I was instructed by Kevin at LiveAquaria on these methods, and I use them 100% of the time...

Straight in the display I once believed to be correct from this thread, is a no, no!

I mean you have this little Anampses or Leopard in a 10 Gallon (Pre-set up with Seachem Matrix), and 2 pounds of sugar fine sand feeding 10-14 times a day with a mini powerhead? HOW COULD YOU GO WRONG? you have all observations and control except if the fish would eat or not....

Unread 03/18/2014, 07:17 AM   #468
MIKE NY
Two Decade club

I have the best results with a acclimation tank which contains plenty of LR for which they can pick off from untill they start taking prepared foods and fine sand for them to sleep and hide...once they appear to be healthy and aggressively eating then I place them in the DT where they are strong enough to compete for food..I place them in a small plastic accliamtion box in the DT in the morning to check for any aggression and they are in just before lights out that same day...

Current Tank Info: 170 gal Reef, 20 gal frag/reef,90 gal fuge, 65 gal sump, 2-250 Radiums on Hamilton M80 HQIs, T5 actincs, Vertex in280 skimmer, MRC-2 Cal Reactor, Reeflo return pump
MIKE NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2014, 01:31 PM   #469
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

Hey Ralph, I do in many ways agree ways with what you are doing and fully understand that there are many ways to accomplish the same point. I also agree that we do disagree and we each have had good results acclimating wrasses in two totally different ways . mine does work for me and may have resulted from knowledge that I have gained in the past twenty years but it still to this day works for me .I can fully agree that your way of acclimation is very good and the one thing that I cannot get past is that there is something forgotten many times and that's the stress put on the fish ,I may have left something out not on purpose but I don't always put my wrasses into their final DT but rather a tank with a small amount of successfully acclimated wrasses along with my "newbie" and that may have confused you as to my angle rather than a barren tank which I also think you have some "reeflike" settings but I may be mistaken. right now I have a few leopards in my coral tanks and that is where I first place and acclimate my new wrasses . not all are done this way but I do it with all my leopards and it works for me very well.
I am sorry if you think I have mislead you in this acclimation process and also would listen to anything that kevin has instructed you to do as he has a super laboratory to do this in and is one of the best at what he does along with his huge knowledge for many specific fish that you or I may lump into groups or at least I would .I don't want to put words into your mouth so I can speak for myself as i am still learning every time I do this and please believe me I do pay tons of attention each and every time I acclimate these fish that are really better off left on the reef. when they "harvest"1000 leopard wrasses from an area you have to admit that in there hearts they know only a few will make it past six months and most will not even make it into the states .I wish there was more well defined information on this process but we both are having much more success than the average reef keeper and I do respect you opinion along with your process ! I do mean this from the bottom of my heart. your opinion means more than you can possibly know to me as we need to always remember that this is a very difficult process that we both are trying to figure out . One thing that we have not been able to communicate upon is also a huge " KEY" to this whole puzzle is the source of our fish concerned and that can make a huge difference . I will pm you so maybe we can shed some light on our source for these concerned fish buddy

I also wish you all the luck in the world and hope that you still have as much fun as i do with these beautiful creatures .
thanks Dave

Dave

Last edited by iamwrasseman; 03/18/2014 at 01:36 PM. Reason: ummmmmm, i left something out ?
Unread 03/18/2014, 07:12 PM   #470
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwrasseman View Post
Hey Ralph, I do in many ways agree ways with what you are doing and fully understand that there are many ways to accomplish the same point. I also agree that we do disagree and we each have had good results acclimating wrasses in two totally different ways . mine does work for me and may have resulted from knowledge that I have gained in the past twenty years but it still to this day works for me .I can fully agree that your way of acclimation is very good and the one thing that I cannot get past is that there is something forgotten many times and that's the stress put on the fish ,I may have left something out not on purpose but I don't always put my wrasses into their final DT but rather a tank with a small amount of successfully acclimated wrasses along with my "newbie" and that may have confused you as to my angle rather than a barren tank which I also think you have some "reeflike" settings but I may be mistaken. right now I have a few leopards in my coral tanks and that is where I first place and acclimate my new wrasses . not all are done this way but I do it with all my leopards and it works for me very well.
I am sorry if you think I have mislead you in this acclimation process and also would listen to anything that kevin has instructed you to do as he has a super laboratory to do this in and is one of the best at what he does along with his huge knowledge for many specific fish that you or I may lump into groups or at least I would .I don't want to put words into your mouth so I can speak for myself as i am still learning every time I do this and please believe me I do pay tons of attention each and every time I acclimate these fish that are really better off left on the reef. when they "harvest"1000 leopard wrasses from an area you have to admit that in there hearts they know only a few will make it past six months and most will not even make it into the states .I wish there was more well defined information on this process but we both are having much more success than the average reef keeper and I do respect you opinion along with your process ! I do mean this from the bottom of my heart. your opinion means more than you can possibly know to me as we need to always remember that this is a very difficult process that we both are trying to figure out . One thing that we have not been able to communicate upon is also a huge " KEY" to this whole puzzle is the source of our fish concerned and that can make a huge difference . I will pm you so maybe we can shed some light on our source for these concerned fish buddy

I also wish you all the luck in the world and hope that you still have as much fun as i do with these beautiful creatures .
thanks Dave

my apologies, I just reread my post, and I did not "come across" as intended. Maybe even a little condescending, as I was typing on my iphone while watching something at the same time!

Yes, we do not agree here.
Yes, there are different ways to do things.
Yes, I have utmost respect for you and your knowledge that you share with Leopards & Tamarins.

We are all good!

Unread 03/18/2014, 09:37 PM   #471
tcmfish
Registered Member

I've had good luck QTing lots of tough wrasses with copper, prazi, antibiotics, and freshwater dips. Leopards, anampses, pseudojuloides, cirrhilabrus, halichoeres, scarus, etc. It can be done. You may need to feed more often than in a well established display, and it has to be cycled. But I have found relatively simple setups work well. Sandy bottom, and lots of food are key.

tcmfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2014, 07:23 AM   #472
aquaph8
Love The Fish

No offense to Dave or anybody else but I honestly feel anybody that still refers to QT as the "stressful option" and blames that on why they don't do it has some learning to do. It is a learning process all it's self and takes some trial and error and is in many ways challenging but in the long run QT makes you such a better reefer. The process puts so many things back in your contol from feeding, lighting and with these guys even their sleep cycle. Beats sitting around wondering if they're gonna come out of the sand and wondering if they're eating. I urge everyone to give it a shot.

Current Tank Info: Leemar 60x36x24, 8x80 T5/LED Sfiligoi GENESIS Alpha 300 skimmer
aquaph8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2014, 08:11 AM   #473
CedzAquAddictio
Registered Member

Most of the time I run my QT 24/7/365. With easier fish, I just use PVC. With sensitive fish like the leopard wrasses, I use LR that is dedicated to my QT only. It stays cycled and may contain medication, so it never sees my DT. I premix my water with medication in batches and do the best I can with keeping my medication levels on par since the rock may absorb or leach it into the water.

Unread 03/20/2014, 10:49 AM   #474
Marshall O
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaph8 View Post
No offense to Dave or anybody else but I honestly feel anybody that still refers to QT as the "stressful option" and blames that on why they don't do it has some learning to do. It is a learning process all it's self and takes some trial and error and is in many ways challenging but in the long run QT makes you such a better reefer. The process puts so many things back in your contol from feeding, lighting and with these guys even their sleep cycle. Beats sitting around wondering if they're gonna come out of the sand and wondering if they're eating. I urge everyone to give it a shot.
I agree 100%, though I am still a "newbie". Took 9 days, but I finally got my M. bipartitus on EST in my 46 QT (that has sand and live rock). Tank has been setup for almost to years, so plenty of pods for it to hunt. Gets fed 2-3 times a day otherwise. Can't imagine just throwing it into my DT with the established Tangs & Wrasses and hope for the best :/

Marshall O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2014, 10:18 PM   #475
purebullet417
Rimless Reef Club

So these yellow tails aren't reef safe? According to one person but most of you seem to have them. Would one be ok in a 57

Current Tank Info: 57 Gallon Rimless
purebullet417 is offline   Reply With Quote