Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/26/2010, 11:56 AM   #1
billyb1122
Registered Member

QUESTION: Dipping Corals

My new tank is almost ready. I'll be moving fish and corals probably over the weekend. Many of my corals are lacking the luster (bright colors) they once did. My new tank will have better lighting and a much better dosing system. I currently just throw in some additives from time to time and test my water. Not exactly the right way to do it, I know. That said, I purchased some 2 part from BRS so dosing will be more of an exact science. I will also be using D and D salt mix from Age of Aquariums so I won't have to add magnesium. That combined with the better lights and skimmer, I hope my corals color up.
MY QUESTION:
Before I move the corals, is there a dip that I should do during the transfer from one tank to the other? What is the recipe? Is the recipe different for different kinds of corals or is there a basic one that will strengthen, feed and liven up all kinds of corals?

Since I figured someone would ask what type of corals I have, I'll tell you that I have a little of everything. If you guys are kind enough to share your information with me, please let me know if your mix/recipe is unsafe for certain corals.

Current Tank Info: SW-Reef Zero Edge 67Gal Cube with LED lighting. Tunze return pump and powerheads. Euroreef Skimmer. No more halides and chillers!!
billyb1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2010, 12:01 PM   #2
steelersfan
Registered Member

I have always used Revive for dipping corals. There are a few choices available, but I have always had good results with Revive.

Current Tank Info: Elos 160XL with Custom Steel Stand
steelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2010, 12:21 PM   #3
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb1122 View Post
Before I move the corals, is there a dip that I should do during the transfer from one tank to the other? What is the recipe? Is the recipe different for different kinds of corals or is there a basic one that will strengthen, feed and liven up all kinds of corals?
I don't know of any dip that will "strengthen, feed and liven up all kinds of coral". Most dips are preventative/treatment dips for unwanted pests. Health of the coral usually comes from stability in ones system.

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2010, 12:50 PM   #4
billyb1122
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan View Post
I have always used Revive for dipping corals. There are a few choices available, but I have always had good results with Revive.
I can give this a try.

Anyone else have any suggestions or recipies?

Current Tank Info: SW-Reef Zero Edge 67Gal Cube with LED lighting. Tunze return pump and powerheads. Euroreef Skimmer. No more halides and chillers!!
Unread 05/26/2010, 01:52 PM   #5
russ13
Registered Member

why are you dipping your corals if you are just moving them from tank to tank?i use revive works well

russ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2010, 02:43 PM   #6
billyb1122
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ13 View Post
why are you dipping your corals if you are just moving them from tank to tank?i use revive works well
Good question. I don't want to dip to remove unwanted parasites or anything. I just wanted to know if there's a dip or food recipie that the corals would like. I'm new to corals and don't know much about caring for them. That's why I started this thread. I'm asking you guys for your advice. Should I dip them? should I feed them? Should I just acclimate them and throw them in my new tank?

Unread 05/26/2010, 02:54 PM   #7
BeanMachine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb1122 View Post
Good question. I don't want to dip to remove unwanted parasites or anything. I just wanted to know if there's a dip or food recipie that the corals would like. I'm new to corals and don't know much about caring for them. That's why I started this thread. I'm asking you guys for your advice. Should I dip them? should I feed them? Should I just acclimate them and throw them in my new tank?
Dip them in Revive... that definitely wouldn't hurt. There could be pests that you haven't noticed.

Definitely acclimate the corals to the new light. Place them all on the sandbed and slowly work the corals up to the recommended light requirements for each.

I think once you start the 2 part and your big 3 stay stable, your corals should color up. Weekly feedings would help as well.

Unread 05/27/2010, 02:37 PM   #8
billyb1122
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanMachine View Post
Dip them in Revive... that definitely wouldn't hurt. There could be pests that you haven't noticed.

Definitely acclimate the corals to the new light. Place them all on the sandbed and slowly work the corals up to the recommended light requirements for each.

I think once you start the 2 part and your big 3 stay stable, your corals should color up. Weekly feedings would help as well.
Will do. Any food/suppliments anybody suggests?

Unread 05/27/2010, 02:40 PM   #9
Sinful Aquatics
Nano Reefer

Amino acids will help give corals more color

~The greatest thing a man can do in this world is to make the most possible out of the stuff that has been given him. This is success, and there is no other.~
Sinful Aquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2010, 02:43 PM   #10
montrose
Registered Member

There's really no such thing as a dip that livens up corals that I know of. The dips are to remove pests. If anything, dipping further stresses the corals, but dipping or quarantining is a necessity to prevent pests.

A reputable shop I know uses Coral RX, but I haven't tried it myself.

montrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral dip