Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Marine Depot
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/07/2015, 06:25 AM   #76
Goby go
Registered Member

I have the 48-60 and it is on a 92 gallon bow but I want to supplement si I cal have some spa lps and softies any suggestion on what to supplement with. I was thinking a 2 bulb t5 for 6 or 7 ours a day and leaving just the current when I am home.

Goby go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2015, 11:24 AM   #77
MarineDepot
Sponsor

This would work out great! T5 and LED is a great combination of lighting and really helps you achieve nice color and growth. I linked some excellent options below.

Dual T5 Light Fixtures

MarineDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2015, 08:30 PM   #78
lluisesq
Registered Member

Hi i have the jbj 30 rimless and im thinking of buying the 24-36 current orbit led. The dimensions are 23.6LX19.6wX16.4H. Would this model fit in the 23.6" length of the aquarium? Also could i have anemones, lps, and sps corals with this light? Can leds be replaced if damaged?

lluisesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2015, 09:47 AM   #79
lluisesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineDepot View Post
This would work out great! T5 and LED is a great combination of lighting and really helps you achieve nice color and growth. I linked some excellent options below.

Dual T5 Light Fixtures
Hi i have the jbj 30 rimless and im thinking of buying the 24-36 current orbit led. The dimensions are 23.6LX19.6wX16.4H. Would this model fit in the 23.6" length of the aquarium? Also could i have anemones, lps, and sps corals with this light? Can leds be replaced if damaged?

lluisesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2015, 01:47 PM   #80
MarineDepot
Sponsor

New Product! Current USA Orbit Marine LED Aquarium Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluisesq View Post
Yes, it should fit perfectly. I just went down to measure the distance on the mounting arms and it is about 23.5 inches at very minimum.

Unread 01/16/2015, 08:34 AM   #81
Keep it Simple
Registered Member

I have a 48"-60" on my 55 gallon tank depth is 17" to SB and everything looks great. I have some Zoa's, Gsp's, Pipe organ and Green Favia brain everything is growing well..just as good as it did with my 2 bulb T5's. Currently I'm running them at 100% for both the blue an whites. I'm curious if that is to much on the whites? And would turning the whites down a little bit an then running my T5's along with the Orbits be smart to get maxium growth or could I be going over kill? Also planning on adding some more stuff to the tank like more LPS and some low light SPS.

Keep it Simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2015, 07:14 PM   #82
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi Keep it Simple,

Most corals can handle a TON of light as long as they are acclimated slowly. Additionally, more light typically equates to faster growth. It would definitely be fine to add your T5's to your Orbit fixture. We would recommend lower both blue and white LED's on your Orbit to 50% and gradually increase the intensity by about 5% weekly. Having the Orbit and two T5's should allow you to keep more LPS and some SPS as you noted.

Unread 01/16/2015, 11:20 PM   #83
StuHoffman24
Registered Member

I have used the 24-36 lighting assembly on two of my SPS Tanks now (15 long) and a (29 tall). There have been absolutely no problems with them, very reliable, and so nice to have after running T5's. They are easy to program, completely user friendly, do not add any heat to your tank and can really kick some light out. I noticed Zoas color perk up incredibly after using this lighting kit, and Star polyps really starting coming out and putting on a show. I did have to scale it back on the outputs for both the 445nm & 460nm (*Actinic) and 8k & 12k (*Daylight) LED, to around 50(*A) 45(*DL) in the transition to LED's much less than pre programmed, but everyone in the tank was very happy.

They are a bit strong at first for Anemone's it will take a while for them to get use to them. I had mine tuck itself away in between a rock for the first 2 weeks.

StuHoffman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 09:57 AM   #84
rhendrix12
Registered Member

T5 and Orbit Combination

I have enjoyed reading all the comments about this fixture. I want to enjoy the amazing features of this fixture, as well as receive the proper lighting. With this in mind I have two questions.

One, can I run a 4 bulb T5 fixture which is on my canopy, and the orbit fixture below it (yet slightly to the right of it) on my tank? Will I still get the same affect (cloud, storm, moonlight, etc.) with both running?

My second question is, is there another fixture that gives the same coloration and simulations as this yet with higher power?

Thanks!

Tank: 75g, 48" x 18" x 18" - Torch, Hammer, BTA, frogspawn, mushrooms, Candy Cane, Kenya

rhendrix12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 11:25 AM   #85
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi rheandrix12,

We're glad that you have found the information helpful. The Orbit Marine has proven to be a great light at an great value. A single strip should be find as long as the higher-light corals are placed on the upper half of the aquarium.

Currently, there is not an other light that offers the same color/intensity/functionality features as the Orbit Marine: which is the reason why it has been so popular.

Unread 01/21/2015, 07:05 PM   #86
wagohn
Registered Member

Hello,
Just took delivery of the version 24"-36" and I love it! I 'graduated' from a single metal halide (175w) that I've been running for years. I figure I've spent over $400 in MH bulbs alone and got not great results. I have a couple of LED question for everyone:

1. Do the LEDS fade and 'color shift' as MH bulbs do over time?
2. What's the life expectancy of the LED bulb?
3. Comparing similar schedules, what $ savings can I expect when comparing the 24w LED strip to a single 175w Metal Halide?

Thanks all

wagohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2015, 11:29 AM   #87
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi Wagohn,

Congratulations on your new LED light!

1 & 2. LED color spectrum do shift as well: however, it is at a much slower rate compared to Metal Halide or Fluorescent bulbs. Most LED's are expected to last up to 5 years. Some may last even longer!

3. Comparing 24W to 175W, the energy consumption will drop by over 80%.

Unread 01/22/2015, 12:25 PM   #88
wagohn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineDepot View Post
Hi Wagohn,

Congratulations on your new LED light!

1 & 2. LED color spectrum do shift as well: however, it is at a much slower rate compared to Metal Halide or Fluorescent bulbs. Most LED's are expected to last up to 5 years. Some may last even longer!

3. Comparing 24W to 175W, the energy consumption will drop by over 80%.

Thank you MD.

BTW - Ive been a customer for years. You guys run a great outfit.

wagohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2015, 12:28 PM   #89
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Thumbs up Thank you for shopping with Marine Depot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagohn View Post
Thank you MD.

BTW - Ive been a customer for years. You guys run a great outfit.
Thank you so much! We love what we do and feel honored we get to mix business with pleasure, so to speak. We are working on a ton of cool things right now to make shopping with us easier and more rewarding, so we hope you'll continue to consider us for your future aquarium supply needs!

Unread 02/07/2015, 07:24 AM   #90
weiserboy
Registered Member

Hi,
I didn't see this question any where, but do you know when you guys are releasing the marine pro?

weiserboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2015, 08:48 PM   #91
shiftline
Registered Member

Would the 36" version put out enough light for SPS in a Nuvo 24 or do i need a more powerful light?

Tanks is just shy of 36"long x 9.5" deep x 13" high. Being shallower it "might" work for SPS.. but im on the fence of this or look for something with a little more punch.

shiftline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2015, 10:53 AM   #92
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftline View Post
Would the 36" version put out enough light for SPS in a Nuvo 24 or do i need a more powerful light?

Tanks is just shy of 36"long x 9.5" deep x 13" high. Being shallower it "might" work for SPS.. but im on the fence of this or look for something with a little more punch.
It will probably be OK considering the tank is only 13" tall. Just be sure to place the corals appropriately based on lighting needs.

Unread 02/09/2015, 10:55 AM   #93
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiserboy View Post
Hi,
I didn't see this question any where, but do you know when you guys are releasing the marine pro?
We have not yet received information on the release date of the Orbit Marine Pro.

Unread 02/12/2015, 01:40 PM   #94
Mhay
Crazy Cat Lady

I have a 75 gallon and currently have 1 EcoTech Gen 2 light centered over the tank. My corals are doing well, all placed in the center area of the tank. I have some mushrooms, zoas, and a devils hand that is doing amazing! I am thinking of switch over to the Orbit Marine and just want to make sure that these lights will be able to sustain what I already have.
Will I be able to duplicate my current light settings on the orbit?
How many lights will I need?
I plan to only keep softies but also don't want to be limited to softies if I end up changing my mind. Will I be able to keep LPS and SPS?
Is it necessary to run the LED along with T5?

Current Tank Info: Coralife Biocube 29
Mhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2015, 02:14 PM   #95
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi Maggie,

The Orbit Marine would be great for Softies and some LPS on the upper half of the aquarium, but it will not have enough intensity of SPS. One option is to use two Orbit Marine LED strips. The other option is to run LED's along with T5's as you mentioned.

However, seeing that you already have one Radion, the best option would be to add a second Radion. Being a 75 gallon aquarium, adding the smaller XR15W Pro should do the trick. This third option would give you significantly more intensity, a wider spectrum and a lot more controllability than the two options above.

Unread 02/16/2015, 12:55 PM   #96
Kyle461
Registered Member

I am currently setting up a 40g breeder and would like to get the 36"-48" for my new tank. Would the depth chart for corrals (found on current-usa.com) still apply if I'm only using one light on the tank?

Build Thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2485917

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon breeder (2/17/15); 20L 3-chamber sump; Tunze Nano ATO; Hydor 320gph return and Circulation 850 gph; Coralife Super Skimmer 125 G; Marineland 24"-36" Reef LED
Kyle461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2015, 01:23 PM   #97
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi Kyle461, Our experience is that corals tend to do better with higher PAR levels than what is noted on that chart. One strip should be sufficient for LPS corals on the upper half of the tank and soft corals anywhere in the tank.

Unread 02/22/2015, 08:39 AM   #98
VarusFulnir
Registered Member

I have a 33 long, 48"X13"X12" with an inch sand bed (so from top water level to sand is about 10"). Would 2 of these be enough for sps near the top? or would i just need one.

VarusFulnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 10:23 AM   #99
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarusFulnir View Post
I have a 33 long, 48"X13"X12" with an inch sand bed (so from top water level to sand is about 10"). Would 2 of these be enough for sps near the top? or would i just need one.
One would get the job done but two would give you a much more even spread of light without shadows or dark spots. Plus it will give you the freedom to place SPS and higher light demanding corals throughout the entire tank.

-Robert F.

Unread 02/23/2015, 01:46 PM   #100
VarusFulnir
Registered Member

Do I need to cover my aquarium, or are the units water resistant?

VarusFulnir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current usa, led, lighting, orbit marine