Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/24/2018, 06:10 AM   #1
Cstone123
Registered Member

Tank Water 101 agh ha moment

I’m about a yr into this great new hobby. Like most of us, when I pulled the trigger and spend a small fortune on my (90 gal. Stand, pump, skimmer, tefugium etc ) I really new nothing about what i was getting into. I didn’t know anything about coral, fish, inverts algae, let alone water quality ( alkalinity, ph, calcium, magnesium, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites etc. I didn’t realize you need to be a chemist to understand how to maintain acceptable water quality. Most of us never realized up front that we were assentcially going to be responsible for an entire ecosystem. It’s hard and it’s complicated. It requires elbow grease, lots of research and lots of money. And just when you think you have it figured out, you don’t. Everyday I learn something new. Yesterday i learned I need to clean my socks more often than every 2 weeks or so. Dah, how could I not already know that. The truth of the matter is that this hobby requires the hobbies to avert attention from ourself and infuse it all into something else. The results can be magnificent. I love this hobby, I love seeing my hard work pay off. I love the beauty of these vibrant cubes of eceantic life thriving in my living room. I can watch it for hours. The details of how and why these creatures survive is amazing. I mean wow. Soooo. Thank you for all of you guys that go out of your way to help us green horns learn this stuff. I’m beginning to see the big picture.

Cstone123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 02:23 PM   #2
Civicman86
Registered Member

X2 - I'm a little over a year in and still love it as if it was the first day. Cant imagine trying to figure this out without this community.

Current Tank Info: 75G FOWL Build
Civicman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 02:40 PM   #3
ramseynb
Registered Member

I agree! I've been in the hobby (off and on, mostly on) for almost a decade. I'd be so lost if it wasn't for communities and helpful people like here on RC. Even though I feel like I have a good grip on my tank and what works for me, I'm still always learning new a interesting stuff from other people.

ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
work hard play hard..