Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/07/2015, 08:04 AM   #1
aclinville
Registered Member

MTC skimmer club!

Just like all other Clubs why not on mtc.
They are a great company who provides great customer service. My story is when I bought a used hsa 1000 skimmer and it needed some tlc. After calling the company and needing some parts he was very helpful and not to mention the quality build of their products. I'm looking to get the word out their if anybody else loves their products

aclinville is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2015, 01:33 PM   #2
muttley000
MTS Sufferer!

I have had a MTC HSA1000 up and running for a few weeks now and it is doing great. I had a broken gate valve and Jeff took care of me. I currently have it skimming about 375 gallons with another 250 coming on line by end of year. I am running an Iwaki Md55rlt pump on the set up.

Current Tank Info: 475 multitank system is now running! Several hundred gallons of additions planned!
muttley000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2015, 10:57 AM   #3
MisterP
Registered Member

Who knows what the differences are between the MVX and the HSA250?

What ratings in gallons are these for?

MisterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2015, 12:09 PM   #4
bayoupr
Registered Member

The MVX is a Mazzei Venturi skimmer and the HSA250 is a beckett skimmer.

bayoupr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2015, 01:03 PM   #5
MisterP
Registered Member

Thanks. Forgive my ignorance but which is better or what would be one reason to go with one over the other?

MisterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2015, 01:07 PM   #6
jason2459
Registered Member

This club needs more posts, pictures, and videos.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2015, 04:06 PM   #7
JWClark
Registered Member

Interesting. I just found an MTC on craigslist--I think it is a HSA1000--for $150 but it needs a pump (and who knows if anything else).

Here is a pic. Does this look complete? I'm wondering about the pipe running up the middle--whether that is normal or not. No idea how old this is.

Thoughts?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00p0p_aT8Qrc8WN0y_600x450.jpg (8.5 KB, 316 views)

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
JWClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2015, 07:19 PM   #8
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

It's a very old unit. Looks like the HSA1000 I owned close to 20 years ago. All depends on the price I suppose. It has the old style Beckett that was sealed in and could not be properly cleaned. MTC offered an injector retrofit kit that would be required for this unit. Main pipe running down the middle was not ideal (thus the external version on current models) but not a major problem.

Gate valve is missing, plus some plumbing, and the waste collector is DIY; otherwise looks complete. I'd be tempted for $150. Check MTC site for the cost of the injector kit ($100) and a good gate valve is going to be $45 or so.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs

Last edited by ca1ore; 12/10/2015 at 07:26 PM.
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2015, 08:02 PM   #9
jason2459
Registered Member

It looks really clean

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 12/11/2015, 07:11 AM   #10
JWClark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
It's a very old unit. Looks like the HSA1000 I owned close to 20 years ago. All depends on the price I suppose. It has the old style Beckett that was sealed in and could not be properly cleaned. MTC offered an injector retrofit kit that would be required for this unit. Main pipe running down the middle was not ideal (thus the external version on current models) but not a major problem.

Gate valve is missing, plus some plumbing, and the waste collector is DIY; otherwise looks complete. I'd be tempted for $150. Check MTC site for the cost of the injector kit ($100) and a good gate valve is going to be $45 or so.
Thanks, I figured this out after posting. I also found an old ad by, I think, the same guy on our local club site asking $100 last year.

My main worry was the internal beckett and how much maintenance this would require--I have seen some of your other posts w/ your beast skimmer. I don't need it now but will have a 5-600gal total volume system (400gal display) when we build the retirement house 5-7 yrs from now.

I am going to pick up a pair of Sifiligoi XR-6 units though, would just need one more. Can't beat $400 each, including bulbs and ballasts, for never used units.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
Unread 12/11/2015, 10:01 AM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWClark View Post
My main worry was the internal beckett and how much maintenance this would require.
Problem was you couldn't properly clean it - which is why MTC redesigned the injector assembly and made it available as a retrofit option.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 12/11/2015, 12:56 PM   #12
JWClark
Registered Member

Quote:
Problem was you couldn't properly clean it - which is why MTC redesigned the injector assembly and made it available as a retrofit option.
Yeah, think I'll wait for a newer one to come along. I have plenty of time to collect.

Unread 12/11/2015, 01:42 PM   #13
jason2459
Registered Member

I'm looking at the MVX and trying to figure out where I can wedge one in. What is the diameter of the lid?

Unread 12/13/2015, 03:14 PM   #14
jason2459
Registered Member

Guess I'll just have to buy one to get some pictures in this thread.

Unread 12/13/2015, 05:55 PM   #15
moondoggy4
Registered Member

^^^^ And use a tape measure as well. They look taller than 26''.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2015, 02:09 PM   #16
twinreef
Premium Member

Is this company still in business? I have called a bunch of times this pass week with no answer. I emailed them last week and still have not received an a response.

twinreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2015, 02:35 PM   #17
jason2459
Registered Member

I emailed a couple questions last week and haven't gotten a reply back yet. I figure they don't check email often and was going to call them soon.

Unread 12/15/2015, 03:00 PM   #18
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

They're a small, two-brother business that essentially makes to order (and has other interests). Calling by phone is best.

Unread 12/15/2015, 04:00 PM   #19
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
They're a small, two-brother business that essentially makes to order (and has other interests). Calling by phone is best.
Yep, I wasn't to worried about not getting an email reply.

I keep going back and forth between getting the 36" and mount it beside the sump which would make the bottom of the skimmer below the bottom of the sump and the outlet to have to go up and over the side of the sump. I'd have to build a shelf for it to sit on and would take up room in my already tight sump room.

Or get the 30" and not have to do anything but put it in the sump. I've got just over 34" above the sump.

Unread 12/15/2015, 10:10 PM   #20
Jayreefer
Registered Member

I have a 28" clearance in my stand and am looking at the 26" MVX. If it will handle my 240 with 60 gal sump. It has a light bio load now but will ramp up to high with time.

Any idea on how they are rated for tank size?

Jayreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2015, 07:46 AM   #21
lucas in alaska
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayreefer View Post
I have a 28" clearance in my stand and am looking at the 26" MVX. If it will handle my 240 with 60 gal sump. It has a light bio load now but will ramp up to high with time.

Any idea on how they are rated for tank size?
I'm with you. I'm setting up a 180 right now and I am just about to order the 30" and a MAG 18 pump. I looked at the Lifereef skimmers and compared it with the MVX for recommended tank size.

I am interested to hear what others have to say.

lucas in alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2015, 10:36 PM   #22
lucas in alaska
Registered Member

I would also like input on a pump. If I get a 30" MVX skimmer for my 180 should I get a MAG 12 or 18 pump?

lucas in alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2015, 10:39 PM   #23
jason2459
Registered Member

I've got a mag 18 on hand ready to put on a 30" or 36"

Unread 12/18/2015, 12:21 AM   #24
jason2459
Registered Member

Decided earlier to take the advice of what I'd tell someone else and get the bigger skimmer. It's getting tight in there but I will just have to suffer. lol

Is there generally a better day/time to get a hold of them?

Unread 12/18/2015, 07:49 AM   #25
aclinville
Registered Member

Definitely call them instead of email! But great skimmers.

aclinville is offline   Reply With Quote