Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/02/2018, 03:05 PM   #1
240gallons
Registered Member

Bubble Magus Curve 5 went NUTS!!!

A quick Google search for Bubble Magus 5 will quickly result in a lot of unhappy threads. It's actually overwhelming to read the theories and problems with overflowing. There are hundreds of threads.

Any recent discoveries or should O just throw this thing out? In would imagine that people get these things tuned in, just to be disappointed again in the future.

This thing has ran rock solid for weeks at a constant ATO water level. Today it's just overflowing like a water fountain! Seems I'm not the only one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

240gallons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2018, 04:32 PM   #2
Brieninsac
Registered Member

I've had my issues with dialing it in the past too. A lot of times it can be attributed to other factors such as dosing chemi-clean, new filter socks, glue, etc. When nothing is going on in my tank it runs fine. My only beef is the collection cup seems kinda small. If I had to do it over I would buy a skimmer with a larger cup.

Unread 03/02/2018, 04:50 PM   #3
nikon187
Registered Member

if there is any change to the water level the skimmer sits in or any changes to the surface tension of the water it will affect the performance of ths skimmer. ( prime, chemi clean, even dosing some additives )

Current Tanks:

New 210 custom 84 x 24 x 24, 60g sump, SWC 250 extreme with bubble blaster 5000, 2 vortech mp40, 2 vortech mp10, 12 T5, Water blaster 5000, warner marine bio pellets,

60g clownfish cube, red carpet anemone with a 25g sump,SRO octopus 1000sss, 250w radium, lumenarc large.
nikon187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2018, 05:37 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Mine works and has been working just fine for months now.. rock solid performance..
All skimmers require some routine maintenance too..
As stated anything that changes the surface tension of the water can cause a skimmer to overflow and well as just needing to be cleaned,etc... It doesn't take much for any skimmer to overflow..
It happens.. Thats why an insump is far better than an HOB.. If an insump overflows who cares... Give it a cleaning or whatever and let it go back to work..

I will say that the stated water level for that skimmer wasn't right at all for me.. but once I got that sorted out its been just rock solid pulling dark stank..

Unread 03/02/2018, 06:06 PM   #5
Bent
I got nothin'

I’ve had mine for 5 years without problem.

Running a swabbie neck cleaner on it and a super locker. Super locker gets full once a month if not longer.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote