Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/13/2018, 02:32 PM   #1
Dan_P
Registered Member

Carbon Dosing And Counting Phytoplankton

When I started carbon dosing, one of the questions I had was did carbon dosing reduce the number of phytoplankton. Two species that seem to be everywhere include a dinoflagellate and a diatom. Before tracking their numbers, I wondered if time of day for sampling was important. The data below, just one day at this point, suggest time of day could make tracking phytoplankton populations in my aquarium complicated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dan_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 02:29 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

A 1 time measurement doesn't suggest anything yet..

Unread 03/14/2018, 04:33 PM   #3
HBtank
Premium Member

Makes sense diatoms would reduce over a day in the water column, as IME they "settle" and are most visible on sand/rock surfaces at lights out, and are least visible in the morning after long periods of darkness.

Never dug into why (is it feeding at night, or some other part of their cycle that sends them back into the water column), but that is what I have observed with diatoms.

My 13 year old silica sand from when it was "OK" creates an interesting dynamic in my tank as I have had 13 years of the "first stage algae problem" and diatoms are my main "bloom"; people have debated if it releases silica... but at this point I would have to say it releases silica... (and frankly I love it)... lol... You should see my sponge growth out competing it right now though in the absence of coral.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 05:50 PM   #4
Dan_P
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
A 1 time measurement doesn't suggest anything yet..
Agreed! More observations planned.

Unread 03/14/2018, 06:00 PM   #5
Dan_P
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtank View Post
My 13 year old silica sand from when it was "OK" creates an interesting dynamic in my tank as I have had 13 years of the "first stage algae problem" and diatoms are my main "bloom"; people have debated if it releases silica... but at this point I would have to say it releases silica... (and frankly I love it)... lol... You should see my sponge growth out competing it right now though in the absence of coral.
Interesting coincidence here, I have a fish only tank with beach sand and granite stones...not a spec of aragonite and no blooms. I have read that diatoms can control their buoyancy. I need more observations before trying to spin a yarn to explain things.

Unread 03/22/2018, 09:56 PM   #6
taricha
Registered Member

This is cool. Where are these samples taken from?

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 05:04 PM   #7
Dan_P
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taricha View Post
This is cool. Where are these samples taken from?
Water was sampled from display tank, below the surface, at about 1/3 the depth of the water. I plan on repeating this count again and will report it here.

Unread 03/23/2018, 05:06 PM   #8
ramseynb
Registered Member

On a somewhat related note, is there a reasonably priced microscope that has good enough optics to see various bacteria?

ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 11:41 PM   #9
bertoni
RC Mod

I think most of the student microscopes actually are fairly reasonable at this point. Do you have a price range? I think even a few hundred dollars gets a setup that's interesting for home use.

Unread 03/24/2018, 02:41 PM   #10
Dan_P
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I think most of the student microscopes actually are fairly reasonable at this point. Do you have a price range? I think even a few hundred dollars gets a setup that's interesting for home use.
Agreed, but seeing various bacteria might be a difficult endeavor. I don’t mean to temper any enthusiasm, just wanted to suggest doing a little research before purchasing.

Unless an organism is “large” and distinctively shaped like cyanobacteria, identifying bacteria in a mixture of organisms usually isolated from aquariums could be impossible.

But if you have the money, go for it. You might be successful in your endeavor or make some unintended or unexpected discoveries.

Unread 03/24/2018, 02:47 PM   #11
ramseynb
Registered Member

Yeah, after posting this I did some reading. It seems like it might be a challenge requiring more than just a good microscope.

I'd still like to get one, but I'd probably be happy with something in the $100 range to start. Ideally I'd like to be able to hook it up to my MacBook or have it come with an LCD screen. I don't like looking through a rifle scope for prolonged periods of time so I'd imagine a microscope would cause similar eye fatigue.

EDIT: Thank you both, BTW!

ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 03:34 PM   #12
bertoni
RC Mod

You're welcome!

One of the microscopes that produce digital images could be a lot of fun. We've had other people enjoy using them. They do have significant limitations as far as looking at small organisms, though.

Unread 03/25/2018, 05:36 AM   #13
Dan_P
Registered Member

You’re welcome.

The higher the camera resolution the better the image will look on a computer. Binocular scopes with a video camera attached could be an ideal choice. I found looking through a binocular microscopes easier than the monocular version.