Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/25/2017, 12:01 PM   #26
karimwassef
Registered Member

and here's the video since this has been a video heavy thread

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2017, 12:52 PM   #27
matthemmings
Registered Member

Have you considered hiring a professional to build it onsite for you? In the grand scheme of things its not likely to be that expensive, relatively speaking.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

matthemmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2017, 01:41 PM   #28
karimwassef
Registered Member

Yes. The quote was ~$40K

The glass costs $5K (since I'm removing the bottom glass). That's $35K that I'm willing to learn with. I can do this 6 times over and still be ahead. I respect the competency of the experts, but I'm DIY because I can't afford the experts.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape

Last edited by karimwassef; 03/25/2017 at 02:09 PM.
Unread 03/25/2017, 02:08 PM   #29
karimwassef
Registered Member

By the way, in the grand scheme of things, I'm also looking at building the greenhouse that the tank goes into myself. I'm going to use contractors for the different parts of the build, but it looks like contracting the whole job out will be prohibitively expensive.

Unread 03/25/2017, 02:10 PM   #30
karimwassef
Registered Member

the UV curing doesn't look like it'll work with the gap method

The epoxy is strongest when the bond is thinnest, so 1/8" gap for silicone is in direct conflict with the UV cure.

Unread 03/25/2017, 06:00 PM   #31
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Where do you find suitable glass to build the aquarium?

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2017, 06:06 PM   #32
karimwassef
Registered Member

I buy it from an aquarium builder. In my case, I like glasscages as a source.

Unread 03/25/2017, 06:31 PM   #33
karimwassef
Registered Member

I can't find a conclusive answer on the silicone gap injection vs. traditional "squeeze" method for glass tank construction.

Anyone have some experience with this? is 1/8" too big of a gap on 3/4" glass?

Unread 03/26/2017, 01:43 AM   #34
karimwassef
Registered Member

finally found a thread that talks about the seam thickness and it looks like 1/16" or 1.5mm is what's recommended:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...2302393&page=2

Unread 03/26/2017, 10:03 AM   #35
Sanjay
Premium Member

Hey Karim:

You going crazy again ??

sanjay.

Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2017, 10:39 AM   #36
karimwassef
Registered Member

Hey Sanjay. Nice to see you on the threads!!

Yes. Big scale! Four channel circulating current 1500gal peninsula dropoff with two cavern zones in a dedicated sunroom with underground titanium cooling, 300 gal above tank refugia/actuated surge and elevated return with a massive 300 gallon settling tank sump. Also has a 300gal terrestrial saltwater plants and ATS in a separate greenhouse loop.

we're moving further north in Dallas so that's the opportunity with a new construction

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...589632&page=11

photo 14_zpscru3epr3.jpg

photo 5_zpsiyfzpigq.jpg

photo 7_zpsusvkkalc.jpg

photo 15_zpsdhico2co.jpg

I'm calling this plan B...

Mona turned down plan A which was converting a covered greenhouse pool into a swimmable reef!

I guess there's crazy and then there's crazy.

Last edited by karimwassef; 03/26/2017 at 10:50 AM.
Unread 03/26/2017, 10:48 AM   #37
karimwassef
Registered Member

The crazy part is that it looks like I'll be building it all myself with a little help from my friends

If you're visiting, I can schedule the "tank raising" weekend when you're here.

Unread 03/26/2017, 10:55 AM   #38
karimwassef
Registered Member

But just for good measure, I'm extending the sunroom for another 30 ft more than needed... one day I'll put the pool in there and then over years, I'll wear her resolve down and connect the two.

It's not crazy to plan a decade ahead for the dream of a swimmable reef... is it?

Unread 03/26/2017, 03:29 PM   #39
Sanjay
Premium Member

Not for you. I have seen your crazy ideas for more than 20 years now.

Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2017, 08:00 AM   #40
McPuff
Registered Member

I'm really looking forward to seeing how you build this beast. I had considered doing this in my own basement but was a bit overwhelmed at the prospect. So I just ended up buying the largest tank that would fit down my stairs. :0)

$40k is amazingly expensive! Good call to try it yourself. From the look of it, the hardest part is going to be finding help to place the glass and get the silicone in place in a timely manner. You've already got experience building smaller tanks (that are still quite large!) so I'm sure you'll do a great job.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2017, 01:32 PM   #41
karimwassef
Registered Member

Thanks. Still calling for experienced volunteers though

Unread 03/27/2017, 06:37 PM   #42
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

Tagging along on this journey

Current Tank Info: 90g SPS+mixed reef (10 yrs): LEDBrick LEDs, 40g custom sump, Ca reactor, chiller, Vortech, lots of custom electronics
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2017, 07:54 PM   #43
jccaclimber
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
< snip >
I'm calling this plan B...

Mona turned down plan A which was converting a covered greenhouse pool into a swimmable reef!

I guess there's crazy and then there's crazy.
My wife is from the west side of Michigan right along the lake, so she needs to dip at least her toes in water every now and then. When moving to Dallas she asked me what I thought about getting a house with a pool in the back yard.

I replied that I've always wanted a Koi pond, and that one wouldn't leak as much.

She never asked about buying a house with a pool again, and somehow there were no more pools in the list of houses she brought up for consideration.

jccaclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2017, 08:08 PM   #44
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
she never asked about buying a house with a pool again, and somehow there were no more pools in the list of houses she brought up for consideration.
lol!!

Unread 03/27/2017, 09:08 PM   #45
karimwassef
Registered Member

if you're curious about the rest of the design - check out the main thread too

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...589632&page=11

we're discussing wood vs. concrete supports right now

Unread 04/28/2017, 07:43 PM   #46
karimwassef
Registered Member

I found this recent video that's basically doing the same thing in terms of tank construction except it's all glass and steel vs. plywood and epoxy bottom for mine

Unread 04/28/2017, 07:50 PM   #47
karimwassef
Registered Member

Here's a classic build but with the tape method for clean seams

Unread 10/08/2018, 09:47 AM   #48
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Did you end up building this?

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon, 3 G4 Radions
Mike de Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2018, 03:12 AM   #49
Fishkeeper01
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
So, here's what I like so far:

From Dramatic Aquatics:
1. I like the tape method for keeping things clean
2. I like the smaller 2nd glass plates on the bottom to keep the sides in place and add bracing.

From Joey's build:

3. I like the plywood bottom with pond armor epoxy.
4. I like the outside lip to keep the sides in place from the outside. Allows silicone to act as a sealant like a plywood tank window. I can see this working with item #2 from DA above to create a plywood groove for the side glass to fit into. This might be a good substitute to the metal frame bottom.

and here's what I'm worried about:

A. The professional assembly is fast. This means that the silicone doesn't have time to skin over. I won't be going fast, so I need a slow deliberate method.
B. My glass is large and thick and heavy. This will likely need at least 4 people to do safely.
C. I'll be buying the glass precut - if the panels are not perfectly square or slightly off in dimensions, it could seriously compromise the build.
Awesome inputs!

Fishkeeper01 is offline   Reply With Quote