Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/04/2015, 02:19 PM   #1
brittonv
Registered Member

Is this a Bristleworm

Greetings all,

I purchased some emerald crabs a couple days ago to help with an algae problem I am having. I was closely inspecting what I hope is a molted carcass when I noticed a small worm.

I tried to get a good video of it but only managed this picture. Then looking in the tank more movement caught my eye and I captured this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCKhwOUBlQU

If so this site seems to say they are a good thing:
http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhik...idehitch.shtml

But other say they can be tank killers?

Just wondering what if anything I need to do.... Also how did these get in my tank? Can they tag along with Crabs/snails unnoticed or possibley Chaeto clump? (no fish store water has come to my tank)

I dipped all my corals and paid special attention to blast them with water before introducing them to my tank.

Unread 12/04/2015, 02:30 PM   #2
twon8
Formally registered membe

Very beneficial member of a cuc

Not building a wall but making a brick

Current Tank Info: 300g DD display, 60g frag tank
twon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2015, 02:53 PM   #3
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

bristle worms are an awesome part of the clean up crew. eunice, aka bobbit worms, are the baddies you should fear.

what you have there poking out of your rock is the former. a harmless bristle worm. they will help keep your tank neat and tidy.

the main differences are color, and the heads. the bad worms (eunice) have creepy heads with tentacles on them. bristle worms do not.

bobbit worms are literally what the creatures of my nightmares are. google image search them. they're very distinct looking and utterly terrifying.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2015, 03:00 PM   #4
brittonv
Registered Member

Thank you so much for the quick response!

Unread 12/04/2015, 03:13 PM   #5
ali1
Registered Member

as far as how they got in there, they're probably the best at getting into every crevice. freshwater dip will make no difference for these guys, but they did prove to be harmless in my tank and great scavengers.

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
ali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2015, 03:17 PM   #6
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
bristle worms are an awesome part of the clean up crew. eunice, aka bobbit worms, are the baddies you should fear.

what you have there poking out of your rock is the former. a harmless bristle worm. they will help keep your tank neat and tidy.

the main differences are color, and the heads. the bad worms (eunice) have creepy heads with tentacles on them. bristle worms do not.

bobbit worms are literally what the creatures of my nightmares are. google image search them. they're very distinct looking and utterly terrifying.
Bristleworms are excellent and should be a part of every clean up crew. Bobbit worms are horrid.

Unread 12/04/2015, 05:43 PM   #7
toothybugs
In Memoriam

This is not a bristleworm.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2543134

toothybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2015, 10:03 PM   #8
C3hutson
Moved On

C3hutson is offline   Reply With Quote