Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/04/2019, 09:42 PM   #1601
hedgedrew
Registered Member

The leak was coming from the main silicone in the tank. Right thing to do fix it now before life went into tank. Was in final weeks of cycling when this happened. Tank manufacturer been working removing silicone. Resand and repaint think ill he up again few weeks. We saved most of the cycled water too

hedgedrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2019, 09:51 PM   #1602
hedgedrew
Registered Member

they clearly are not putting any money into this site. Keep getting logged out. And postong pictures is such a chore on this site. I think same tank of month fom 6 years ago is not updated. Im sure most of you aware.

Unread 07/05/2019, 04:04 AM   #1603
zchauvin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgedrew View Post
they clearly are not putting any money into this site. Keep getting logged out. And postong pictures is such a chore on this site. I think same tank of month fom 6 years ago is not updated. Im sure most of you aware.

Yes - this site has gone down the drain. But, as long as this post is here I’ll be coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zchauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2019, 02:24 PM   #1604
DeepBlueZoas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniceley View Post
Hedgedrew, different wavelengths of light are absorbed at different rates as they pass through salt water. The red end of the spectrum is absorbed the fastest. Almost all of it is gone in the first 10m of water. Blue light is absorbed the slowest of all of the photosynthetically active wavelengths of light. For this reason the zooxanthellae responsible for most of the energy in photosynthetic inverts (corals, clams, anemones, etc.) have evolved to use mostly the blue end of the spectrum. Using bulbs that have more blue light provide what the algae and therefore the corals need without a lot of extra light adding heat and wasting energy. Yes the percent of blue light compared to natural sunlight is significantly greater in these bulbs, but still no where close to total amount of blue light in natural sunlight.

There is one more aspect of this which most of us tend to forget. Much of the pigments that corals produce are to protect the tissues and the symbiotic algae from exposure to UV light and some research suggests from high intensity visible spectrum light as well. White light tends to wash out these colors some however when we are viewing them in our tanks.

Light that is too bright could damage corals and increase photosynthesis to levels dangerous for the corals. Ever notice how Xenia pulses faster the brighter the light. I have an idea that pulsing increases exchange rate of water into and out of polyp which helps to transport excess oxygen produced by photosynthesis away from coral tissue. If photosynthesis rates were to get too high in coral tissues then oxygen bubbles would form much like "pearling" on the surface of plants in freshwater planted tanks. These oxygen bubbles in the tissue of the corals would cause tissue damage. This explains why too much light can cause bleaching as the corals expel their zooxanthellae to protect themselves.

I would guess that the extra colors many see from halide lighting is due to the UV produced by halides. When I was working at a public aquarium we had a 6ft deep coral tank lit by four 1000 watt halides. If I didn't get the work done on the tank before the lights came on in the morning I would get a sun burn on my arms from the UV light emitted, happened more than once.

I bet if we added some more UV leds to our setups we could get even more colors out of our corals.
Good right up and info, although what you stated about zooxanthellae being better adapted to using blue light is exactly why tanks that have no white light and only run blue LEDs have very washed out colors a lot of the time. The zooxanthellae which is brown, grows in population and makes the coral look dull brown.

DeepBlueZoas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2019, 06:14 PM   #1605
SantaMonica
Registered Member

I think the main reason for the delay is he's constructing an algae scrubber the size of Walmart.

Unread 07/21/2019, 08:47 AM   #1606
hedgedrew
Registered Member

Santamonica. Not bad idea. Lol Post summer this will all be good !!

Unread 08/23/2019, 09:48 PM   #1607
garrettm
Registered Member

birth of 2 builds totaling 30k gallons

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgedrew View Post
Santamonica. Not bad idea. Lol Post summer this will all be good !!

So the earliest we can see an update is September 23rd, according to the googles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garrettm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2019, 03:55 PM   #1608
vikinglord13
Registered Member

Yes, this website keeps logging me out as well. Pretty sad.

Current Tank Info: ~30 lbs of LR w/ 15 lbs of substrate. An azure damsel, six-lined wrasse, and black blenny. Zoanthids and shrooms.
vikinglord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2019, 10:40 AM   #1609
hedgedrew
Registered Member

I just wanted to update this again. Come see me at the other forum or facebook me.

Unread 12/07/2019, 10:42 AM   #1610
hedgedrew
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/4RbxqWN6vqw