Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/17/2019, 07:29 AM   #3276
reefmutt
Registered Member

Thanks very much guys. I’m really liking where the tank is right now.
And just for shots and giggles, here are a bunch of shots taken under blues only using the Polyp Lab Coral View Lens:

These are all iPhone shots with using the lens. Pure saturation yummyness!!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2019, 11:22 AM   #3277
cFloor
Registered Member

Wow Matt, your tank is looking all time! Well done man

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2019, 05:41 PM   #3278
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Conor, thanks! It’s in a phase of generally slow but steady growth with decent colors.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 07/02/2019, 11:26 AM   #3279
Alex Costa
Registered Member

Hi Matt.
Nice pics!
The colors look very deep and intense.

Alex

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/153-tank-of-the-month

Current Tank Info: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2596707
Alex Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2019, 09:56 PM   #3280
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Those colors are to die for!

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2019, 11:51 PM   #3281
Acronic
The Fifth Master

Good god man. That’s a sight for sore eyes

I have lost all concept of reality and live in an SPS world now.
Acronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2019, 11:43 AM   #3282
Wally.B
Registered Member

Wow Matt.
Saturated or Not, that some Serious Beauty.
Healthy too.
So I noticed you are shifting toward a more Blue Tank. Nothing is better.
I enjoyed the White Look with MH/T5, but with Just T5/LED... blue seems to be best setting.
Keep up the Great Progress, and shoot me a line when you might consider selling some Frags (when weather gets cooler for Shipping)

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2019, 09:17 AM   #3283
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Costa View Post
Hi Matt.
Nice pics!
The colors look very deep and intense.

Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
Those colors are to die for!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acronic View Post
Good god man. That’s a sight for sore eyes
Alex, Matt, Kevin (if memory serves- man it’s been a while!) thanks!
Keep in mind that the pics on this page were shot under blue LEDs with Polyp Lab lens. They are not full spectrum pics like the last page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
Wow Matt.
Saturated or Not, that some Serious Beauty.
Healthy too.
So I noticed you are shifting toward a more Blue Tank. Nothing is better.
I enjoyed the White Look with MH/T5, but with Just T5/LED... blue seems to be best setting.
Keep up the Great Progress, and shoot me a line when you might consider selling some Frags (when weather gets cooler for Shipping)
Hey Wally, thanks! yeah, I have definitely shifted to blue.. I don’t even use any coral plus bulbs anymore..
2 Reefbrite xho, 4 blue plus, two actinic and my 8 AI primes run mostly blue with whites around 3 percent and red/green around 10 percent- only for mid day lighting. Otherwise all blue. . I find it quite blue but the corals pop like nobody’s business! I do love it.
And by keeping the tank this way, I’m not disappointed when I bring corals home from the shop. They look the same.
I’ll definitely get in touch in the fall.

Unread 07/23/2019, 09:32 PM   #3284
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Alex, Matt, Kevin (if memory serves- man it’s been a while!) thanks!
Keep in mind that the pics on this page were shot under blue LEDs with Polyp Lab lens. They are not full spectrum pics like the last page.

Hey Wally, thanks! yeah, I have definitely shifted to blue.. I don’t even use any coral plus bulbs anymore..
2 Reefbrite xho, 4 blue plus, two actinic and my 8 AI primes run mostly blue with whites around 3 percent and red/green around 10 percent- only for mid day lighting. Otherwise all blue. . I find it quite blue but the corals pop like nobody’s business! I do love it.
And by keeping the tank this way, I’m not disappointed when I bring corals home from the shop. They look the same.
I’ll definitely get in touch in the fall.
Matt,
You've probably played a lot to arrive at your Favorite Blue Lighting Setup.

I too started with Coral Plus in my DIY Fixture using HEP Ballasts (same at in ATI fixtures).
However when it came time to replace my T5's I dropped the two Coral Plus Bulbs, and went with One Atinic and a Purple Plus.

Even PurplePlus can be overwhelming at full power and in Low Ratio to other bulbs....., but since 2 of my 3 of my Ballast are dimmable HEPS. I found that Dim Blending the (Atinic/Purple Plus) works really good with the Blue Plus in the other positions. (Makes your Eyes Pop, when looking at Coral Pop...Fish Pop Too!!).

This is my current Lighting Setup.

I had a dimmable Single T5 in the middle, but removed it, to turn my fixture into a LED hybrid (using a hand me down OLD Radion XR30 G1), and modded it with a Frosted Acrlic plate for (Diffuser). All blue LED, with a (Touch or white/red/green at certain times of day).

Also the FRONT Blue LED strip (similar to a Orphek wit Lenses), but much Cheaper really Makes Nightly Viewing a Fireworks show.
Like this one, (but all Blue)
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/54w-81w-108w...Zg4WfO8XbKOrbQ
and I replaced the Static Power Supply with a Dimmable Current Driver that I control with Apex VDM.

Overall, my eyes are Really happy. Long term will tell if Corals will like it.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2020, 04:33 PM   #3285
Sam2832
Registered Member

Still in the game?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sam2832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2020, 04:34 PM   #3286
ReefSalt
Dont Take My Word For it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam2832 View Post
Still in the game?

He sure is .

my new build:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2464054

Current Tank Info: Setup Since Dec 2014
ReefSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2020, 04:39 PM   #3287
Sam2832
Registered Member

Thanks, glad to know.

Unread 07/14/2020, 04:40 PM   #3288
Sam2832
Registered Member

Me too i dont keep my thread up to date these days...

Unread 07/14/2020, 07:12 PM   #3289
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Sam,
Been a looooong time.. yes I still have my tank and it’s doing reasonably well.. a little random rtn and some bleaching of lps lately. I think some poorly chosen not true peppermint shrimp may be snacking on some of my corals.
Lately, I have not been very much into keeping my tank totally up to date. I do my due diligence: bulb changes, pimp maintenance, wcs, testing but I don’t really spend much time looking at it.. I think I’m kind of bored or it.
I think I’d really like to tear it down completely and redo the lighting, rock work and restart with a few chosen corals.. but honestly the energy required for that project makes me exhausted just thinking about it.. so for now it simply exists and really does its own thing.. eventually, I’ll have to do something because some corals are really over growing others..
So, here’s a quick video from January of this ridiculous year. I need to pull out some skeletons and clean some things up and then maybe I’ll get around to doing a more recent video and maybe some pics..
Be well everybody!!
https://youtu.be/mS2GGZ09cIs

Unread 07/14/2020, 11:36 PM   #3290
Sam2832
Registered Member

Learning/rebuilding from my epic fail

Thanks for the reply, crazy times this year... reef wise it was a roller coaster for me also.
The tank was so ugly in march it was depressing.
End up removing the sand and now things are going well.
Do you still have your ice fire?
I might be interested to buy you a frag if you want.
Nice video by the way.
Here's my little reef.

Unread 07/15/2020, 05:36 AM   #3291
reefmutt
Registered Member

Looking really good, Sam!
Is that Marvin the Martian?
I don’t have my ice fire anymore
As per usual, I did something that dropped my nutrients and some of my older corals didn’t like it..

Unread 07/15/2020, 12:23 PM   #3292
Sam2832
Registered Member

So the title of your thread is still acurate...
Crap, might try the one from coral master in that case.
Contacted the seller and he said +-1 month for the next frag.
Yes, that's the "Marvin", polyps out/in, really a nice piece and a good growth.

Unread 07/15/2020, 07:10 PM   #3293
reefmutt
Registered Member

Ha! The title of my thread will ALWAYS be accurate...

Coral master has some nice stuff for sale. Let me know when you’re ready to order, I might order some myself and we can split the shipping..
You can dm me on Facebook..

Unread 07/15/2020, 07:36 PM   #3294
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Hey Sam,
Been a looooong time.. yes I still have my tank and it’s doing reasonably well.. a little random rtn and some bleaching of lps lately. I think some poorly chosen not true peppermint shrimp may be snacking on some of my corals.
Lately, I have not been very much into keeping my tank totally up to date. I do my due diligence: bulb changes, pimp maintenance, wcs, testing but I don’t really spend much time looking at it.. I think I’m kind of bored or it.
I think I’d really like to tear it down completely and redo the lighting, rock work and restart with a few chosen corals.. but honestly the energy required for that project makes me exhausted just thinking about it.. so for now it simply exists and really does its own thing.. eventually, I’ll have to do something because some corals are really over growing others..
So, here’s a quick video from January of this ridiculous year. I need to pull out some skeletons and clean some things up and then maybe I’ll get around to doing a more recent video and maybe some pics..
Be well everybody!!
https://youtu.be/mS2GGZ09cIs
Bro I haven't watched your video yet but I'm looking forward to it. Good to see you are still reefing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2020, 10:41 PM   #3295
Sam2832
Registered Member

I'll take your offer for coral master, i will wait until his "ice fire" is ready.
The other ones i might buy from him are: oregon tort, Tyree blue matrix and CM great barrier blue.
Yeah, all blue...
I lost all mines fall/winter 2018 still not sure why.
I read that over 400 it's free shipping (pre-covid promotion, not sure if it's still valid).
Rest in peace blue corals

Edit, tried to find reefmutt on fb to no avail.
You can contact me on messenger: samuel veilleux

Last edited by Sam2832; 07/15/2020 at 11:22 PM.
Unread 07/16/2020, 05:02 PM   #3296
markalot

Nice to see a post. My tank had a few disasters, the latest being the Alk hose breaking off, but while I lost some larger colonies most had a section that stayed alive so it's in a rebuilding phase at the moment.

The slimer, hairy horrida, and Hawkins echi just kept going. You never know what acro will react to what accident, so I'm learning.

Unread 07/17/2020, 06:58 AM   #3297
pisanoal
Registered Member

Hey Matt,

Been a while since I've taken a look at your thread. Your tank is looking great! Definitely something to shoot for.

Would you mind talking about your light schedule and intensity you are using these days? I've been paying closer attention to mine and realized i was only running a 6 hr peak photoperiod on a 6x80w T5 retrofit with diy led strips on my 300 gallon, so i have been ramping up to 8 or longer over the past few months My leds have been on for 15ish hours the whole time, but they are probably only about 150 watts total with no optics on a 30" deep tank. I'm trying to gather more information about peak lighting period vs total lights on time (low intensity viewing lighting), and dark periods as well as how that relates to peak intensity ran during the peak lighting period.

Hopefully that made sense.

Unread 07/17/2020, 09:11 PM   #3298
i2ik
Registered Member

You need a bigger tank Matt! Saw your video, so much growth! I wish I could be in your situation. I have not been able to add more livestock to my tank, have to redo it as renovation will be starting god knows when with this pandemic. At least, i will have a sink, and a little fish room to work on instead of always being under the tank!

Current Tank Info: 600G system in the remaking, back to square one, learning in process!
i2ik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2020, 06:34 AM   #3299
tripdad
Frustrated Stick Gardener

Hello Matt! Tank still looks great! Glad to see your still hanging in there.

Current tank: 65 gal DSA rimless, mixed reef, 20 gal sump, T5 6bulb, big skimmer, 40B Fowler, 20 gal sump, 4 bulb T5
tripdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2020, 03:06 PM   #3300
H2oH2o
Grower of the Small Polyp

Hey Matt your tank is looking great!

H2oH2o is offline   Reply With Quote